Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:47   #1
BHPian

Identifying State from Mobile Numbers

Probably a dumb question, but I was wondering that if one can identify the state from where a call is made from a mobile to mobile phone ?

In KA, I believe 98 series is for Airtel and 80 stands for Bangalore.

Majority of the numbers I know follow 9880 series in Bangalore. Anyone can add the same thoughts on this and it would be easy to identify the states from mobile numbers.

Thanks
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you dint know 9845 also exists in bangalore and the service provider is Airtel.
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

It used to be easier to identify states/caller origin from cellphone number earlier (say in 2000-02). However, of late I have seen merging of series and numbers, probably because of consolidation happening in the wireless industry.

E.g. A friend of mine had 987xx series in Mumbai and nowdays, its common to see 987xx series in Delhi (Airtel). Similarly, a few years ago, I had 9819x series in Delhi and now I have the same series 9819x in Mumbai!

Earlier, it used to be something like this (broadly)
98100 - Delhi Airtel
98110 - Delhi Hutch
98200 - Mumbai Orange
98210 - Mumbai BPL Mobile

Those were the times when there were only 2+1 (incumbent) mobile operators allowed per circle. But now the equation has changed considerably.

Maybe someone from the industry could validate or correct what I have said.
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:53   #4
BANNED

Unlike the structure in US, TRAI here has created a mess (basically to help BSNL). I don't think there is any structure. AFAIK, operator gets the series and later on he can set whatever region he wants.

Also, if you dint know 9980 also exists in bangalore and the service provider is Airtel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
If you dint know 9845 also exists in bangalore and the service provider is Airtel.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd April 2008 at 17:52.
Old 2nd April 2008, 15:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Unlike the structure in US, TRAI here has created a mess (basically to help BSNL). I don't think there is any structure. AFAIK, operator gets the series and later on he can set whatever region he wants.
Not as simple or stupid as that, diabloo. For the National Numbering plan, click here:

http://www.dot.gov.in/numbering_plan/nnp2003.pdf

For Mobile Operator codes:

COAI

A lot of work goes into setting up these plans - you shouldnt write it all off so casually.
Old 2nd April 2008, 15:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Also, if you dint know 9980 also exists in bangalore and the service provider is Airtel.
Also, if you didnt know 9900 also exists in bangalore and the service provider is Airtel

@Steer: Thanks for that info.. the link is in my favorites now.
@ lambuhere1 : where are you ?

Last edited by revved_up : 2nd April 2008 at 15:04.
Old 2nd April 2008, 15:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

9945 : Provider is AIRTEL, and city is Bangalore.
Old 2nd April 2008, 15:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Also, if you didnt know 9900 also exists in bangalore and the service provider is Airtel

@Steer: Thanks for that info.. the link is in my favorites now.
@ lambuhere1 : where are you ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
9945 : Provider is AIRTEL, and city is Bangalore.
If y'all didn't know, 9844 is also a bangalore number.
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:19   #9
BANNED

Thanks for the links. They prove my point.
For mobile:
Example: There is no correlation between Airtel & Vodafone numbers for region.

For STD:
Bangalore is 2 digits, Mysore is 3 digits & Mandya is 4 digits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yes it is, but its Spice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
If y'all didn't know, 9844 is also a bangalore number.
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Example: There is no correlation between Airtel & Vodafone numbers for region.
Depends on when the series were released. If you see the first set of operators, they followed a sequence for each state. Eg: 9845 was JTM (now Airtel Bangalore) and 9844 was Spice. Similarly in Delhi it was 9810 for AirTel and 9811 for Essar (now Vodafone); for Bombay it was 9820 for for Orange (now Vodafone) and 9821 for BPL (now Vodafone); for Chennai it was 9840 for Skycell (now AirTel) and 9841 for RPG (now AirCel). Calcutta had 9830 and 9831.

Then the 3rd operators came in, BSNL/MTNL came in, the 4th licenses were released and now we have a whole set of numbers. The backdoor entrants Reliance also had to be accomodated so they were given 93. Since Reliance got themselves a Mobile license they had to issue the same to Tata Indicom too, so they became 95.

There is a long history to this. You also need to refer to page 107 of the first document which states:
NUMBERING FOR CELLULAR MOBILE NETWORK
ALLOTMENT OF MOBILE SWITCHING CENTRE (MSC), SIGNALLING POINT (SP) AND MOBILE NETWORK CODES (MNC) FOR CELLULAR OPERATORS
1. The cellular mobile network has been divided into 19 service areas and 4 metropolitan cities for which licenses were issued. Accordingly Numbering Plan was formulated for allotment of MSC code for each operator with spare codes for future allotment.
The format of cellular mobile service Numbering Plan is given below:
ACCESS CODE - MOBILE SWITCHING CENTRE (MSC) CODE - SUBSCRIBER NUMBER
2-digit 3-digit 5-digit
98/94 etc. ABC XXXXX
· Presently level ‘98’/’94’ have been allocated as access code for mobile networks.
· ABC=’000’ to ‘999’. However, ABC=’000’ to ‘099' have not been
allocated and are reserved.
· XXXXX= 00000 to 99999.
Initially in each service area/metro, two operators were given licence to operate. With further opening up of mobile services, two more operators are permitted to operate in each service area/metro areas.
The Signalling Point (SP) codes for mobile operators are given in
9000/10000 series. The MSC codes and SP codes allotted to the cellular mobile operators in different circles/metros are also listed in Table-1.
Quote:
For STD:
Bangalore is 2 digits, Mysore is 3 digits & Mandya is 4 digits.
Lookup the numbering plan document. There are codes allotted for Long Distance Charging Areas (LDCAs) and Short Distance Charging Areas (SDCAs) which are different classifications for areas. The total length of the number should not exceed 10 digits and therefore they reduce or increase the length of the Trunk Code according to the capacity of the exchange. Obviously Mandya does not have the same number of telephones as Bangalore has - so how do you keep the total dialling string to 10? INCREASE the SDA code.

To Quote from Page 16:

LINKED NUMBERING SCHEME FOR PSTN
1.1 INTRODUCTION

1.1.1 Indian Telecom Network is divided into number of LDCAs. Each LDCA
consists of one or more SDCAs, which are also known as local areas.
Each SDCA has one or more number of exchanges.

1.1.2 Each LDCA has a Long Distance Charging Centre (LDCC), which is a
Trunk Automatic Exchange (TAX).

1.1.3 Each SDCA has a Short Distance Charging Centre (SDCC). Normally each SDCC is an integrated local-cum-tandem or a transit switch. In certain cases SDCC itself may also be LDCC.

1.1.4 Each SDCA normally covers one or more taluka or other administrative areas. The size of SDCA generally varies between 800 sq. kms to 2000 sq. kms.

1.1.5 As per the National Fundamental Plan 1993, the N(S)N is of 9 digits
including 2 to 4-digit National Destination Code (SDCA Code) and 7 to
5-digit subscriber number. This excludes the access code ‘0’.

1.1.6 Most of the SDCA’s have 4-digit trunk code, leaving 5 digits for subscriber number. With 5-digit length, only about 50,000 subscriber numbers per SDCA can be provided. If the subscriber base increases beyond 50,000 in an SDCA, either the number length will have to be increased or another trunk code will have to be allotted. Further, there are more than 700 SDCAs (with 4-digit code), which have more than 10,000 subscribers and are expected to grow more than 50,000 in next 30 years. These would need 6 digits local numbers. This would increase the total number length to 10 digits or else SDCA code will be required to be reduced to 3 to keep N (S)N of 9 digits. Since only about 150 spare 3-digit codes are available, only alternative is to increase the number length. The scheme envisages the use of SDCA based linked numbering with 10-digit N(S)N.
1.1.7 With the migration to uniform 10 digits SDCA linked numbering scheme, N (S)N would have following variants:
SDCA code - Subscriber Number
2-digit - 8-digit
3-digit - 7-digit
4-digit - 6-digit

Quote:
Thanks for the links. They prove my point.
You do not have a point, therefore dont bother trying to prove something.

It is very easy to pass judgement on such matters based on superficial perception. It takes a lot more to understand the effort that has gone into such plans.

I would recommend that you first read the documents and then present your arguments in a logical manner based on what you have read. The national numbering plan is not without its weaknesses, primarily because it is outdated but that does not mean that the numbering plan is random or unplanned or based on whims and fancies.

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd April 2008 at 17:03.
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:56   #11
BANNED

Very useful links, Steeroid.

Quote:
Since Reliance got themselves a Mobile license they had to issue the same to Tata Indicom too, so they became 95.
I thought Tata Indicom was 92?
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on when the series were released. If you see the first set of operators, they followed a sequence for each state. Eg: 9845 was JTM (now Airtel Bangalore) and 9844 was Spice. Similarly in Delhi it was 9810 for AirTel and 9811 for Essar (now Vodafone); for Bombay it was 9820 for for Orange (now Vodafone) and 9821 for BPL (now Vodafone); for Chennai it was 9840 for Skycell (now AirTel) and 9841 for RPG (now AirCel). Calcutta had 9830 and 9831..
Wow steer, u have covered it all. Are u into telecom in any which way ?
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I thought Tata Indicom was 92?
Sorry, my mistake. I've been out of the scene in India for a while now.
Old 2nd April 2008, 17:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid, thanks for PDF, Amazing file helps me understand where a cell# is originating. Well its takes a lot of time to understand.
Old 2nd April 2008, 17:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow Steeroid, amazing info. Thanks. Till about 3 years back I was able to place the numbers to their regions pretty easily, but now there are various sequences.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks