Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

LCD tv troubleshooting!!!

It happened this morn, my dad was watching tv when suddenly it got switched off. Tried switching it on but nothing. Even the "red" standby light isn't showing. What could be the prob?

Do these tvs have some sort of a fuse, which might need to be replaced?

Have called up Sony and they'l be checking it tom.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:20   #2
BHPian

Well, it could be due to a spike in the current which may have resulted in the short circuit of some IC in the tv's PCB. Or its power supply too. Best would be to get it checked by Sony @$$. Hope it's still under warranty.

BTW... shouldn't this be in the gadgets thread?
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:28   #3
BHPian

Hey Shan,

I think you just experienced a power surge on your plug point. But not to worry as

actually these tv's do come with a kinda fuse which blows in case of a power surge.

Don't worry, if your tv is in warranty then they should have no problems replacing it.

Cheers,
Shrey

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 2nd April 2008 at 20:37.
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its a surge, PS is okay but few diodes and transistors must have got burned.

Do you stay in the south of bangalore, mine got burned due to the lightning on Sunday. Similar symptoms were seen after few hours.

Technician came and told he had 7-10 such reported complaints.
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes even i think it maynot be an issue with the LCD panel as the tv itself is not getting switched on. There is no current reaching it inspite of the power cable being fine.

Yup, it's still under warranty. But it's sad when something like this happens (irrespective of whether you end up paying for the repairs or not). Hehe

I just wanted to get some info on this coz it might help someone else facing a similar prob with their LCD. And if their tv isn't under warranty, it might save them from being taken for a ride.

Shan2nu
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:55   #6
BHPian

@ shan2nu,
Its sad when something like this happens to something such expensive as a LCD TV.
Well, I would adivse you to get a good quality voltage stabiliser (if you already don't have one).
I bought my LCD TV last week, and also bought a "V Guard" stabiliser (Model: Digital 100) for Rs.2600. And I have already seen it trip a few times during visible voltage fluctuations...proof that it is working.
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Is a spike buster a good enough solution for suchlike ?
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:55   #8
BHPian

Hi Dadu,

I stay in Banashankri and that surge on sunday morning, conked off my dsl modem, 8 port router and the adapter of my set top box

Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its a surge, PS is okay but few diodes and transistors must have got burned.

Do you stay in the south of bangalore, mine got burned due to the lightning on Sunday. Similar symptoms were seen after few hours.

Technician came and told he had 7-10 such reported complaints.
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:48   #9
BHPian

shan2nu are they charging 2k plus tax , extra charge for part change and extra for transportation ......i had a similar problem but the standby light was blinking ....after the technician checked it a small lizard was fried in the fan ....bloody 2k for a lizard
Old 3rd April 2008, 21:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the other guys and suggest a voltage stabiliser (surge protector).

You can get some big voltage stabilisers to regulate the voltage throughout the house (so you do not need one on every appliance). We have one back home and it works a treat although in addition I still have most expensive appliances on individual stabilisers as well.
Old 3rd April 2008, 21:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
shan2nu are they charging 2k plus tax , extra charge for part change and extra for transportation ......i had a similar problem but the standby light was blinking ....after the technician checked it a small lizard was fried in the fan ....bloody 2k for a lizard
They wont charge me since the TV is still under warranty. The Sony tech is coming tom morn. Lets see what he has to say.

But yes, Sony does have this habit of trying to talk the customer into believing that the damage was caused by something that isn't covered by warranty (Happened to my cousin, when he got his lap top repaired).

He threatened to take them to consumer court and was immediately given a free LCD panel replacement. The cost of repair in question was 20K for a Vaio laptop he had bought less than 6 months ago for 54K.

Shan2nu
Old 4th April 2008, 10:39   #12
BHPian

Excuse me for straying out of topic:
I took my 10 year old Sony music system for repairs to Sony service centre...they flatly refused to service it saying that as per company policy, they do not support any goods that is more than 5 years old. This was also one of the reasons I avoided to purchase Sony LCD TV (or any Sony product for that matter).
Old 4th April 2008, 11:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

False alarm guys, it was just the cable adapter that had a loose connection. TV is working fine now.

Sony guy said the LCD comes with a built in fuse and stabalizer.

Shan2nu
Old 29th August 2013, 14:45   #14
BHPian

Re: LCD tv troubleshooting!!!

Hi guys

I have a 2009 SONY Bravia S Series 32" LCD TV

This was working fine with my desktop PC via VGA Cable.

Now suddenly it doesnt work, VGA mode says no signal.

I tried:
1. Changing the VGA cable (though they work fine with other TVs)
2. Thought that display driver could be an issue, tried with some other laptops and a desktop
3. Factory reset the TV

Still same problem, could there be a possibility that the VGA board is faulty ? Any one here faced this sort of an issue ?

Regards
Old 4th November 2013, 15:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi people, my 2 year old Sony Bravia BX420 40" LCD has started giving trouble since last few days. It was seen by the Sony technician and he asked me to send it to the service center. Now they informed me that the display has gone kaput and requires replacement, charges of around 20k. I'll upload the video of the problem and request you guys to help me out with it. The Sony India Facebook page and Twitter handle hasn't responded to my posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks