Team-BHP - The iPhone Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The iPhone Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/38465-iphone-thread-51.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by s0uljah (Post 902513)
If someone has to bring me an iPhone 3g is it as simple as before?

i.e : Walk into Apple store and purchase.

Additionally the ETA 2.0 unlock to be made public ?

Nope its not easy, if its in US, since that someone has to sign up for a contract with the tel company. Hopefully things will be easier when pre paid or pay as you go options open up, otherwise check in countries like Belgium and Italy where only unlocked handsets can be bought. I think Australia also will have pre paid option coming out soon.

2.0 unlock most probably this week itself.

This is what i have gathered, if anybody has better info do share :)

it's out of topic but still sharing it!!1
Quote:

CUPERTINO, California—July 14, 2008—Apple® today announced it sold its one millionth iPhone™ 3G on Sunday, just three days after its launch on Friday, July 11. iPhone 3G is now available in 21 countries—Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US—and will go on sale in France on July 17.

“iPhone 3G had a stunning opening weekend,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “It took 74 days to sell the first one million original iPhones, so the new iPhone 3G is clearly off to a great start around the world.”

The new iPhone 3G combines all the revolutionary features of iPhone plus 3G networking that is twice as fast*, built-in GPS for expanded location-based mobile services, and iPhone 2.0 software which includes support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and runs over 800 third party applications available through the new App Store. In the US, the new iPhone 3G is priced at just $199 for the 8GB model, and $299 for the 16GB model**.

*Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions.
**Requires new two-year AT&T rate plan for qualified customers, sold separately.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market with its revolutionary iPhone
Quote:

CUPERTINO, California—July 14, 2008—Apple® today announced that iPhone™ and iPod® touch users have already downloaded more than 10 million applications from its groundbreaking new App Store since its launch late last week. Developers have created a wide array of innovative mobile applications ranging from games to location-based social networking to medical applications to enterprise productivity tools. Users can wirelessly download applications directly onto their iPhone or iPod touch* and start using them immediately. More than 800 native applications are now available on the App Store, with more than 200 offered for free and more than 90 percent priced at less than $10.

“The App Store is a grand slam, with a staggering 10 million applications downloaded in just three days,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Developers have created some extraordinary applications, and the App Store can wirelessly deliver them to every iPhone and iPod touch user instantly.”

Many of these amazing new applications take advantage of iPhone’s large display, Multi-Touch™ user interface, fast hardware-accelerated 3D graphics, built-in accelerometer and location-based technology to bring far more powerful applications to the mobile arena than ever before.

The App Store on iPhone works over cellular networks and Wi-Fi, which means it is accessible from just about anywhere, so users can purchase and download applications wirelessly and start using them instantly. Applications are free or charged to the user’s iTunes® account and the App Store notifies the user when updates are available for their apps. The App Store is also available in iTunes (Apple - iTunes - iTunes Overview) running on a Mac® or PC, which syncs applications to the iPhone or iPod touch using a USB cable.

*Requires downloading software update sold separately for $9.95.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market with its revolutionary iPhone.
via Apple Sells One Million iPhone 3Gs in First Weekend & iPhone App Store Downloads Top 10 Million in First Weekend

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 903439)
Nope its not easy, if its in US, since that someone has to sign up for a contract with the tel company. Hopefully things will be easier when pre paid or pay as you go options open up, otherwise check in countries like Belgium and Italy where only unlocked handsets can be bought. I think Australia also will have pre paid option coming out soon.

2.0 unlock most probably this week itself.

This is what i have gathered, if anybody has better info do share :)

Seems like currently getting the 3g isnt a good option unless your on a caller plan in the USA. Australia price is around 750-850$ AU and the rate is almost on par with the USD :(

Outright purchase in the USA is around the 600$ US mark.

Any 1st gen users selling ???? please:

Guys
Believe my words about the iphone. Though its a cool gadget, but it lacks the durability and reliabilty that we indians are used to with Nokia phones.
I have been using the iphone for past 5 months and though i was very excited for the first few weeks untill i began realising the truth.
The iphone battery is dismally poor. Discharges in 1.5 days. People may say that its coz of 3.5 inch display but does it mean that a long 1.5 hrs coverstaion reduces iphone battery by 35%.
It gets hot while charging and one becomes cared that it will harm the phone.
Absolutely no frills in terms of bluetooth data transfer.
The earpiece volume is low and the network detection capabilty is nowhere near Nokia.
One has to carry the phone with utmost care so as to prevent it from scratching.
Its bulky in weight and size.
One has to be computer literate to exploit its features.
On Wi-FI iphone discharges in 3 hrs of usage.
Connecting thru' GPRS it heats up while surfing.
And lastly within 5 months my phone;s LCD has gone bad. There is a yellow spot on it and i feel that buying such and unreliable device was my biggest mistake.I spent 22.5 K for this junk that could not handle 5 months of usage.
Believe me if you are a heavy mobile phone user, stick to your old good phone.
The iphone frills can't enthuse you beyond a certain point of time.
So please think before pouncing on the iphone once it is launched in India.

hope the iphone 2.0 hardware has some improvements in terms of durability.
However most windows mobiles have reached the reliability of a nokia over the last few years. I have worked with nokia in the past and been a windows mobile user for years and can vouch for their reliability. Infact phones like the LG viewty (my current phone) and quite a few sony erricson models trump the iphone easily (except for the cool UI part) and are quite reliable for heavy usage :)
Hopefully iphone gen 2 is better, reliable hardware if not more features (better camera w video, bluetooth xfers, etc)

Iphone 2.0 is already having issues of low battery life and yellow tinge in the screen.
Apple is charging a hefty premium for the snob value it offers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoom_vroom (Post 905035)
Guys
Believe my words about the iphone. Though its a cool gadget, but it lacks the durability and reliabilty that we indians are used to with Nokia phones.
I have been using the iphone for past 5 months and though i was very excited for the first few weeks untill i began realising the truth.
The iphone battery is dismally poor. Discharges in 1.5 days. People may say that its coz of 3.5 inch display but does it mean that a long 1.5 hrs coverstaion reduces iphone battery by 35%.
It gets hot while charging and one becomes cared that it will harm the phone.
Absolutely no frills in terms of bluetooth data transfer.
The earpiece volume is low and the network detection capabilty is nowhere near Nokia.
One has to carry the phone with utmost care so as to prevent it from scratching.
Its bulky in weight and size.
One has to be computer literate to exploit its features.
On Wi-FI iphone discharges in 3 hrs of usage.
Connecting thru' GPRS it heats up while surfing.
And lastly within 5 months my phone;s LCD has gone bad. There is a yellow spot on it and i feel that buying such and unreliable device was my biggest mistake.I spent 22.5 K for this junk that could not handle 5 months of usage.
Believe me if you are a heavy mobile phone user, stick to your old good phone.
The iphone frills can't enthuse you beyond a certain point of time.
So please think before pouncing on the iphone once it is launched in India.

Well i want to point out some facts to you based on your comments!!

first the durability and reliability of iphone is far more advanced than any other phone (reason behind we aren't thinking is that we are patching the software to jailbreak and unlock it, which is the problem for the firmware to work accordingly and perfectly).

Just tell me Can you rectify a problem in nokia if something goes wrong? well i can't but i can do the same to my I phone for sure!!

Well to the screen issue ,you even doesnt know that when you make a call and put the phone onto ear then the sensor of Iphone automatically switch off the screen(this can't be seen but if you out hands near the earphone or see there are two sensors extreme to the earphone)

Now the warming issue , me used the iphone for 11 months , i brought it as it launched (whn unlock came), and nver faced a problem when i charge it!

I would sugest that you charge it with USB cable and connect it to computer , and never uses any car charger(reason for this is there's no charger for iphone)b

for scratching ,laminate it from front and back which fully will costyou not more than 300(200 for front(imported ) and 100 for back )

Go to a mobile dealer nearby and ask him to laminate the back , i had done that and i was really happy not getting a single scratch

Rest are the drawbacks which have overcomed by 3G!!!!:D

Still doubt buzz me up for iphonelol:

I changed my mind post the couple of years of using a touch screen phone (O2) and bought a Nokia E71 instead.. Am happy that i can use it with one hand ;-).. Its got great features, very slim and light..Synch with Exchange is a breeze.. connectivity options are great...

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokin (Post 905267)

first the durability and reliability of iphone is far more advanced than any other phone (reason behind we aren't thinking is that we are patching the software to jailbreak and unlock it, which is the problem for the firmware to work accordingly and perfectly).

Just tell me Can you rectify a problem in nokia if something goes wrong? well i can't but i can do the same to my I phone for sure!!

Well to the screen issue ,you even doesnt know that when you make a call and put the phone onto ear then the sensor of Iphone automatically switch off the screen(this can't be seen but if you out hands near the earphone or see there are two sensors extreme to the earphone)

Now the warming issue , me used the iphone for 11 months , i brought it as it launched (whn unlock came), and nver faced a problem when i charge it!

I would sugest that you charge it with USB cable and connect it to computer , and never uses any car charger(reason for this is there's no charger for iphone)b

for scratching ,laminate it from front and back which fully will costyou not more than 300(200 for front(imported ) and 100 for back )

Go to a mobile dealer nearby and ask him to laminate the back , i had done that and i was really happy not getting a single scratch

Rest are the drawbacks which have overcomed by 3G!!!!:D

Still doubt buzz me up for iphonelol:

Even i have used the iphone for 5 months and know about all the gadgetry inside like the accelerometer etc. But inspite of the screen switching off, the iphone has a pathetic battery life.
No one would want to keep a 200W PC or his laptop on to charge a phone, so the question of USB charging would only come in case of one off scenarios.I have used the Apple supplied charger and have iphone warming issues.
Laminating the back of iphone is not a good idea as the phone needs to breathe out heat during usage and charging.
Thats what i said you need to be computer literate to use the iphoen to its potential which includes updating firmware.So don't compare it with Nokia in the sense of repairing as Nokia caters to masses too.
Throw your Nokia, Drop it from a moving bike, down the stairs, just put back the battery and your good to go.Impossible with the iphone.So iphones durability is not of the same class as Nokia.
One thing i missed out is the extremely slow ringer tones on the iphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokin (Post 905267)

By the way now even Nokia and SE have options of firmware updates. :)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

iClarified - iPhone - Pwnage 2.0 Unlock/Jailbreak Tutorial (Mac)

Update 1: Just to clear up some confusion over what this actually does: yes, it jailbreaks and unlocks older iPhones, and jailbreaks iPhone 3Gs and iPod Touches. We only support the 2.0 firmwares.

First step, next will be to unlock to all carriers.

hi guys

finally i got iphone 2.0 working on my 2g iphone after bricking it 3 times. its brilliant and every thing works perfectly fine but having some problems with connecting to mobile me

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhiram7912 (Post 909772)
hi guys

finally i got iphone 2.0 working on my 2g iphone after bricking it 3 times. its brilliant and every thing works perfectly fine but having some problems with connecting to mobile me

Try using the old .mac settings :)

One should wait for iPhone to hit shores in couple of months OR go for an imported set? Maybe a legally unlocked one itself? ;)

Hi Guys. Am looking to upgrade my phone and was waiting for the 3g, but no sign of it in india yet. Would like to take the official route for this phone, any idea when they plan to launch it. My other option is the htc diamond as of now and sony xperia if it ever gets launched.

Can i update my phone software to v2.0?

I'm pretty outdated at the moment, still running v1.1.1 :D