Team-BHP - The iPhone Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The iPhone Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/38465-iphone-thread-794.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 4635034)
Hence, purely for the purpose of using google maps with live traffic updates, what's the cheapest Apple device/phone I can buy?

You can buy a used refurbished device on flipkart 2gud.

https://www.beawara.com/collections/...r-cases-covers

Here you go. For the record, I have no business links with them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 4634833)
These look fantastic. Do you have a purchase link? Thx

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis (Post 4634168)
Apple care is not supported in India even if you buy it from US. A friend was told this in an authorized Apple showroom last year.

Global AppleCare is fully supported in India. Just recently I got a new Apple Watch from the US and cracked its screen in India. Got it replaced free of cost as I had AppleCare. US cost of watch with AppleCare is cheaper that just the cost of Apple watch in India.

So I presume its the same for the iPhone (I got the XR similarly with Apple Care from US, though not used service yet).

AppleCare is globally honoured now.

My 6S will complete 3 years in October. The battery backup has gone down significantly and my charging cable is also torn. I have put a tape on it.

Battery life shows 77% and it indicates service.

Buying a new battery and a charging cable will cost me around Rs 5,500.

But the main problem is, mine is a 16GB phone and its running out of memory. So it wont be worth spending over 5k on this phone.

I was thinking to replace it with an Iphone XR 64 GB.
Is it a good time to replace or should i wait till September when a new version will be launched, the price for the XR may slash further?
I was also thinking to wait for the lucrative offers from the online portals during Diwali?

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4633636)
Anyone still using 4S? The new update 9.3.6 has issues in downloading for my secondary phone. Any first hand update?

I have a 4S. Yesterday, I tried installing this update and it was successfully done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 4639601)

I have a 4S. Yesterday, I tried installing this update and it was successfully done.

Thanks Samba da. I’m still not able to get to 9.3.6. Somehow download always fails. I’m using wifi. Haven’t tried cellular data.

Quote:

My 6S will complete 3 years in October. The battery backup has gone down significantly and my charging cable is also torn. I have put a tape on it

This tearing up of wire is the fate of all iPhone charger cables. Somehow this doesn’t seem to affect their laptop charger cables which although seem to be made up of similar material but holds up much better.

I have a 6S too and besides the original cable, I have an aftermarket zebronics brand charging cable which I generally keep in my office bag. Though this isn’t an Apple certified cable but does the job pretty well. And it is almost identical to the original lightning charger. I got it for around 300 bucks. You may try it too and you’ll save some money in the process and probably won’t tear like the apple one.

Regarding the battery, did you somehow miss the Rupee 2000 ‘We got caught but still you pay’ Apple program? :D

Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4639617)

Regarding the battery, did you somehow miss the Rupee 2000 ‘We got caught but still you pay’ Apple program? :D

Regards.

Ah, I must have missed it then. :(
Do the aftermarket cable sync with Itunes, if i connect it with the laptop? I had one for my Iphone 5, but it always failed to show the device when connected to my laptop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 4639632)
Ah, I must have missed it then. :(
Do the aftermarket cable sync with Itunes, if i connect it with the laptop? I had one for my Iphone 5, but it always failed to show the device when connected to my laptop.

No problem with syncing! Works perfectly.

Quote:

My 6S will complete 3 years in October. The battery backup has gone down significantly and my charging cable is also torn. I have put a tape on it.
=====

Since the new iPhone launches are just around the corner, if you can wait it would be better. The price of the iPhone XR has already been reduced to around 55k from 73k, so its not a bad deal even now. My guess is that once the new phones are launched, the existing XR may see slight reduction in prices, however the new set iPhones would be prohibitively expensive starting at least from 70k, unless they are manufactured in India.

I have the iPhone XR, and its a great device, dual sim capabilities, long battery life and the usual Apple attributes.

Quote:

I was thinking to replace it with an Iphone XR 64 GB.
Is it a good time to replace or should i wait till September when a new version will be launched, the price for the XR may slash further?

Yes. Surely wait. It is less than 1 month, that the new phones will be introduced.
And think 128 GB instead of 64 GB on the XR. Hardly a 4000 Rs price difference if I remember correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4639642)
No problem with syncing! Works perfectly.

Awesome, seems like a great option to order one and use it, till i keep this phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorworks (Post 4639763)
Since the new iPhone launches are just around the corner, if you can wait it would be better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by riteshritesh (Post 4639861)
Yes. Surely wait.

Great, looks like waiting for a month or two will be the best decision as of now.

I have been using a iPhone XR for about 10 months now, a little surprised to see that the battery health is already showing at 94%. I have had iPhone 5, 6 & 7 in the last 8 years and never has a phone battery level depleted so fast. Is this normal? When I sold off my iPhone 7 last year, after 2 years of usage the battery health was still 95%. Although I dont face any issue, battery health indicates the relative performance of the battery compared to when it was new, so within one year the battery is down by 6% performance?

They don't make it the way they used to anymore. 4S was the last, unbeatable phone they made (still got it). But till 6S, it was still okay, I would say. Later on, it started taking the android phone components, benefitting from low prices. Loyalists are sticking on for iOS. The greedy corporation needs to see a renaissance! 5G phones will be out in September, need to see those.
Quote:

Originally Posted by motorworks (Post 4641979)
battery health is already showing at 94%.

Even I had the iPhone 6 which had a good battery life. I think it depends a lot on the usage- how much heat it's exposed to, etc.

Quote:

I have been using a iPhone XR for about 10 months now, a little surprised to see that the battery health is already showing at 94%. I have had iPhone 5, 6 & 7 in the last 8 years and never has a phone battery level depleted so fast. Is this normal? When I sold off my iPhone 7 last year, after 2 years of usage the battery health was still 95%. Although I dont face any issue, battery health indicates the relative performance of the battery compared to when it was new, so within one year the battery is down by 6% performance?

Good to know this since I have an XR as well. Just curious, how did you check your battery level on 5 and 6 ?

I don't think we should be much concerned about the % till it goes below 90% which might not happen for at least 1.5 years if used normally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4633636)
Anyone still using 4S? The new update 9.3.6 has issues in downloading for my secondary phone. Any first hand update?

Went home and updated my 4S to 9.3.6 (which seems to be the last update for the 4S) and it went off well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4641993)
They don't make it the way they used to anymore. 4S was the last, unbeatable phone they made (still got it). But till 6S, it was still okay, I would say. Later on, it started taking the android phone components, benefitting from low prices. Loyalists are sticking on for iOS. The greedy corporation needs to see a renaissance! 5G phones will be out in September, need to see those.

+1 to the above. I have the 4S and the 5S, which I have not let go. Wife and kid use the 7 and 8 but I am very happy with especially the 5S.

Have a 6S, which has the battery issue, but have been using it under battery save mode for more than a year now. And this is after getting the battery replaced at Apple when the promotion was there.

Quote:

I have been using a iPhone XR for about 10 months now, a little surprised to see that the battery health is already showing at 94%

I had my IP7+ battery replaced in May and its down to 99% in exactly 3 months. I am quite surprised just as you are.

My usage pattern is light to moderate with good battery care practices. I need this handset to work till end 2020 which is when I expect to upgrade to a new model. This drop in capacity makes me wonder if the battery will pull on for another 18 months.