Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 22:43   #1
BHPian

Over Heating Notebook. Presario v6604au.

Hi,

I bought this notebook a few months back(Oct 2007). This notebook over heats whenever i use it lying down. Sometimes, it even shuts down. The air intake is from the bottom and gets blocked when used lying down or when the notebook is lying on the bed.

I wanted to ask if there is a software to monitor the temperature and warn me before it overheats. i tried searching but i couldn't find any software. a few softwares i came across were too old and didn't work on my notebook. Im using Windows Vista Basic.

Please help me find the software which could monitor the temperature and warn me when its about to overheat. And please let me know if anyone has experienced the above problem and the cure for it. My notebook is still under warranty.

One more thing i would like to know is if keyboard keys are available for notebooks. i have lost two keys on my notebook(F4-F5) How much would the whole keyboard replacement costs?

cheers
clipto333
Old 9th May 2008, 23:00   #2
JPL
BHPian

hi,

there are many options available for cooling bases for laptops..the one that I am aware of is a APC laptop base but the laptop will have to be place in desktop like position.

Ergonomic Notebook Stand with 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub

Other options here to give you an idea..

Maplin> LAPTOP COOLING BASE

Or you can also try this software supposed to even have a alarm if the temperature crosses threshold !!

Downloads - hardware sensors monitor 4.4.1.1 Shareware Software
Old 9th May 2008, 23:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
Hi,

I bought this notebook a few months back(Oct 2007). This notebook over heats whenever i use it lying down. Sometimes, it even shuts down. The air intake is from the bottom and gets blocked when used lying down or when the notebook is lying on the bed.

I wanted to ask if there is a software to monitor the temperature and warn me before it overheats. i tried searching but i couldn't find any software. a few softwares i came across were too old and didn't work on my notebook. Im using Windows Vista Basic.

Please help me find the software which could monitor the temperature and warn me when its about to overheat. And please let me know if anyone has experienced the above problem and the cure for it. My notebook is still under warranty.

One more thing i would like to know is if keyboard keys are available for notebooks. i have lost two keys on my notebook(F4-F5) How much would the whole keyboard replacement costs?

cheers
clipto333
When I used my sister's LG laptop while keeping laptop on the bed, the motherboard was spoiled. Got a replacement after fighting for 1 month.

Try coretemp, it was recomended to me by one tbhian.

Similarly my sister's laptop has developed a serious keyboard problem. Most of the keys( from all 100) wont work. I got one USB keyboard for around Rs 200 from a company called technotech. I dont know what company it is, but it works as the laptop is now used rarely.

You can go for a new cordless keyboard, but watch out for the battery life. I would advice you a USB keyboard from iBall and will cost Rs. 450-500. The only luxury I had when I got USB mouse and keyboard is that this old LG laptop has 4 USB ports and not 3 as found in present generation. So after USB mouse and Keyboard, I still had 2 USB ports left. There will be people who will give you one adapter where you will have One usb plug that goes into laptop, and the two other plugs from which PS/2 keyboard and mouse are attached. STAY AWAY FROM THIS.

If you have 4 USB ports or not, buy a new USB keyboard, as opening laptop is quite risky.
What happens is that the connection in the keyborad circuit is usually cut off after some use. This time period of breaking depends upon the build quality of the laptop. This is very common problem to LG, IBM-Lenevo and HP laptops. Being a student in this field, there are many in my college who bought laptops but now have the trouble of keyboards and system slowdown.
Usually repair work if the problem is what I have mentioned is rs 200 ( if done from non authorized shop, authorized dealer repairing cost, sorry, I dont know , you will have to visit the local dealer), but replacing the entire keyboard for laptop is around 1200-1400rs.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 9th May 2008 at 23:19.
Old 12th May 2008, 07:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

if you keep using the laptop on bed without a stand, it will be detrimental.

cheapest solution is to use a small ply/cardboard under the lappy which keep the vents open. I sit on my couch/recliner and use a breakfast table tray. at times when i don't, i take special care to keep the vent side unblocked.
Old 11th June 2008, 16:22   #5
BHPian

thanks for the replies. i think the ply/cardboard idea is the best.

re, the keyboard, i have never ever experienced a keyboard failure on a notebook. Have used, fujitsu, HP, Compaq notebooks. i just need 2 keys i.e. f4 and f5. I lost them. Ill get the keyboard replaced if i dont get the 2 keys. cant use an external keyboard.

cheers
Old 11th June 2008, 16:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

Core Temp
This is a good software. There are many others also available for free. You can set shutdown limits also.
But on a soft surface like a bed the vents will get blocked, so keep ply or a drawing board.
Old 11th June 2008, 18:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

clipto, the solution lies in using a hard surface so that the vents remain open, as everyone suggested. A hardboard is a good way to do it. Heck, when I work even on a table I put two small wooden coasters below the two front pods. This lets the vents to have a better circulation.

About the keyboards, I think you can claim warranty. Its simply poor workmanship if the keys fall off within the warranty period. You do not have to think about whose fault it was. Just talk to your local service station and fight for "poor workmanship" line of argument. They will do the needful.

A bit OT, do you still use this laptop with the 512mb ram that it came with or did you upgrade? I have 3 laptops at home. This one (with AMD processor) belongs to dad. The machine was horribly slow from day 1. As I live away from home I could not have a look at it till I went home. Then I realized that at any point of time 75-80% of the Ram is filled up leaving very little for the applications to work with. I got a 1mb Ram added. Will have to ask dad how it is responding now.
Old 11th June 2008, 19:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got a 1mb Ram added.
I belive You mean 1 GB

Btw I too have an HP Laptop with AMD with 1 GB Ram, It heats up & hence I prefer using it on hard surface whic is like 95% times. Planning to upgrade to 2 GB.
Old 11th June 2008, 21:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Laptops with air intake at the lower side should not be used on clothed surfaces even if it's for a short time. The reason is the dust gets sucked into the laptop and this will settle on the CPU heatsink which is of a different design than the desktop cpu heatsinks. Once the dust & dirt accumulates inside the heatsink it will not even let air pass through properly and your laptop will shutdown frequently even if you're using it on a hard surface.

I had this problem with a laptop and i opened and cleaned the cpu heatsink. After that it was perfect.

Techno if you're upgrading to 2 GB i suggest you buy a 2GB module, i'm guessing that yours is a 64bit chip.

Last edited by Sankar : 11th June 2008 at 21:28.
Old 11th June 2008, 21:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Sankar: Whats a 2 GB module? Yes its a 64 bit Proc(AMD Turion X2 64bit)
Old 11th June 2008, 21:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

it has AMD and i guess an Nvidia based mobo. which are notorious for emitting excessive heat. its normal.

you can get the keyboard at nehru place delhi, anything between 2.5k to 3.5k.
Old 11th June 2008, 22:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@Sankar: Whats a 2 GB module? Yes its a 64 bit Proc(AMD Turion X2 64bit)
Almost all laptops have two memory slots including yours. One slot would already be occupied with a 1GB ram module. So you buy another 2gb ram module and put it in the vacant slot. Will give you 3gb ram.
Old 12th June 2008, 01:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Almost all laptops have two memory slots including yours. One slot would already be occupied with a 1GB ram module. So you buy another 2gb ram module and put it in the vacant slot. Will give you 3gb ram.
Before buying, you have to check what type of memory is compatable with your lappy. it has to be compatable and match with the ram you already have.
Old 12th June 2008, 04:59   #14
Awaiting Email Confirmation

firstly if its an AMD say bye bye! coz they heat way more than Intel chipsets
Old 12th June 2008, 09:22   #15
BHPian

Hi Team,
I work for a computer Manufacturer and let me give you some basic troubleshooting tips. If your computer is over heating
1> Updated the BIOS.
2> Using the diagnostics check the RPM of the fan.
3> Please do not use the notebook on bed as it will cover the air vents and even if you want to use on bed, you will get the notebook slab in market use that plastic plate like thing under the under the notebook.
4> Try to keep the air vents clean by bruising it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks