Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2008, 02:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Anyone play Mario Kart online (Wii) ?

Had this for a few weeks and it would be nice to play a few other bhp-wale online. Not very good at it but it is a good laugh.

I will post my code thing in the morning.
Old 19th May 2008, 04:18   #2
BHPian

Nintendo Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Had this for a few weeks and it would be nice to play a few other bhp-wale online. Not very good at it but it is a good laugh.
I've been wanting to purchase the Nintendo Wii. Could you give me some info?

1. Where did you buy it?
2. How much did it cost?
3. What accessories and additions did you buy and at what cost?
4. What other games have you tried and how much do they cost?
5. Is it true that the Nintendo Wii consoles and therefore its games are region specific and so lock out/ do not play games purchased in other regions/ countries?
6. Any info about availability in Chennai/ rest of India?
7. How do you find the gaming experience compared to other platforms?
8. Would you recommend it to other gamers? What are the mandatory accessories?
9. Is on-line gaming possible in India and what are the hardware additions needed?
10. Have you tried Wii fit?
Hope I have not bugged you with too many questions

Last edited by Murugan : 19th May 2008 at 04:21.
Old 19th May 2008, 22:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
1.I live in England so got it over here.
2.Just under £150 (Rs12,000) delivered last September
3. It came with Wii sports game and a controller (with nunchuck). I bought an extra controller with Wii play for £30 and an extra nunchuck for £15.
4. Got a host of other games including Paper Mario,Wario Ware, Eldees, Mercury Meltdown etc etc.
5. Yes true. The first lot of consoles were easy to chip but Nintendo have changed the design a bit so it is harder to fit the chip in newer consoles.
6. No idea
7. For fun it is the best console, for serious gaming I have a PS3 (60GB) and a first gen XBOX. TBH I was so dissapointed with the PS3 that it has been boxed up for a good 5 months.
8. If you have young kids then get a Wii, they will enjoy it. Essential accessories - extra controller and nunchuk.
9. Online gaming is free but so far I only have mario kart which allows online gaming.
10. Yes bought a Wii Fit on the day it came out for £60, nice and easy to use and good for children.
Old 19th May 2008, 22:36   #4
rippergeo

I've been using the wii for a year and love it. getting games here is a problem though. pirated copies are available, but for the console to run them, I need to get my wii chipped. not willing to risk it.

heard a lot of good things about mario kart. didnt know I could play head to head with someone over the net.

didnt know that wii fit was launched. do you think its worth 60 pounds? I thought wii play was totally worth it at 30(just to give you an idea of my perspective)

@murugan- its a great console for the whole family to play together. which is why I got it.its not for a serious, hardcore gamers IMO

Old 20th May 2008, 00:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rippergeo

Yes I think it is one of the first games to offer net play on the Wii.

Wii Fit sold out quickly on launch day and is much in demand. The kids love it and it gets them off the sofa and moving so good in that sense. Wii play came with the extra controller so yes I thought it was worth it as well.

Still enjoy the tennis and boxing on Wii sports.

I also agree it is a family console rather than a hardcore gaming console. The graphics are similar to that on the gamecube and hardware wise it is not very advanced compared to the PS3.

I was thinking of getting mine chipped but just not worth doing as I know someone else who had it done and the laser on his drive went pretty quick. Some of the games fall in price to £15 after a few months so not too bad.
Old 20th May 2008, 07:24   #6
BHPian

Nintendo

Quote:
In India you can get it in the usual Burma Bazaars where they sell all the imported stuff, They can get it for you if you ask them to procure one.

Or its available online at JJMehta
Nintendo Wii

Ps: I do not have one.
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:08   #7
BHPian

Nintendo Wii controller accidents and injuries

Was shocked to hear of accidents and injuries due to Nintendo Wii controllers flying off the users hands. There are many videos on YouTube; some of them are sickening spoofs though.

I guess the Wii controllers have to be tied to the users arms. Is this possible?

Also the users must be sufficiently far away from obstacles and people to avoid hitting them.

Here is a sample. There are many more.

Old 23rd May 2008, 12:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was shocked to hear of accidents and injuries due to Nintendo Wii controllers flying off the users hands. There are many videos on YouTube; some of them are sickening spoofs though.

I guess the Wii controllers have to be tied to the users arms. Is this possible?

Also the users must be sufficiently far away from obstacles and people to avoid hitting them.

Here is a sample. There are many more.

YouTube - Wii Sports Accident
They know come with a strap with a tensioner to go round your wrist to stop this happening. They also provide a silicon case which provides a bit more padding in case you hit someone.
Old 7th June 2008, 01:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

wii by Nintendo - Is this THE next big thing?

Folks

Some friends of mine just got back from the US. And they seem so besotted with this new game by Nintendo - wii . They practically scoured every place in NY/NJ in search for this. Sold out in ALL places -. Apparently ppl queue up overnight for these things. The best part people of ALL ages seem to be equally besotted by it - a kind of "wii-mania" seems to be sweeping across the US!

Is this all this is made out to be? Will this redefine gaming as we know it?

Last edited by kb100 : 7th June 2008 at 01:18.
Old 7th June 2008, 01:22   #10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Its not new,its been around for a while now, and it caters to a whole different market of gaming nuts. The PS3 or xbox 360 cannot even be compared to it coz they are way over its reach.
Old 7th June 2008, 01:27   #11
BHPian

Err.. the Wii has been out for ages. Its reportedly hard to get hold of in the US. But other countries, especially Japan should have a good stock.
It doesnt have the graphics power of the 360 or the PS3, but the games that the Wii have are supposed to be more fun.

However, there are reports that owners play less with the Wii than other systems. After a while the novelty wears off, I guess. You have to try it out to see if it is right for you, just like a Test Drive
Old 7th June 2008, 02:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Oh OK! Silly me - I dint even know a thread existed!

I am NOT into gaming at all. Freecell is top of my list (- sad I know!)

Just that this entire family -across generations- seemed to get stuck onto that - and that caught my attention. With the other gaming consoles I have not heard that happen!
Old 7th June 2008, 06:38   #13
rippergeo

My favourite games on the wii

In order of preference.

Wii Boxing in wii sports
tremendous workout. will leave you drenched in sweat and panting after 3 rounds. also great fun to pummel an opponet and watch him/her fly like a rag doll in slow motion when you hit him.
I play this every day for atleast 1/2hr(its more fun than the treadmill) , and hurt the next day.

Wii shooting in wii play-
develops hand eye co ordination. currently the entire family is try to see who will get the highest score.

Wii Tank in wii play
addictive. can play it for hours. you are in control of a tiny battle tank in a model battleground. shoot up your enemies or use mines on them. just stay alive.

Call of Duty
a bit difficult initially, but a simple FPS on rails. the controller makes all the difference.

Zelda
a mix of action and puzzle solving. the problem is, sometimes the puzzles are so hard, you get stuck for days in the same spot. which is frustrating.

I used to be a hard core PC gamer, but prefer this now, because it gives me some physical activity.
I will buy the Wii Fit as soon as can.

Last edited by rippergeo : 7th June 2008 at 06:40.

Old 7th June 2008, 11:18   #14
BHPian

Aha, ripper. That is a nice review. What I read is about mostly people getting fed up of the device after a few months. But then they have other options like the 360 and the PS3
Old 19th June 2008, 08:43   #15
BHPian

Nintendo Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
However, there are reports that owners play less with the Wii than other systems. After a while the novelty wears off, I guess. You have to try it out to see if it is right for you, just like a Test Drive
I tried it out at a friends place. Its very entertaining since the mode of playing is realistic, unlike other games where its just the gamepad and your fingers. .

However I agree that after a month or two the novelty might wear out.

If anyone is willing to sell/rent their existing console in Bangalore, Please let me know cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks