Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 18:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Advise on buying a PC

Hello everyone!

Hit a road block with my decision on buying a PC and did not know where to go to clear it. Then I thought, where else better than T-Bhp Gadgets section!! So here I am posting my concern

First up, apart from automobiles, I am a movie buff and love watching good movies. Since this DVD-Rip fever started, I am into downloading a lot of movies at home. At times, I have to leave my laptop turned on for 12 hours at a stretch. Very recently, I have started noticing that the laptop tends to get very hot and also the battery back up is dipping day by day.

Currently I own a Compaq laptop which I purchased recently with an AMD 64-X2 processor, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, DVD-Writer with Lightscribe, and its a 14" laptop. This is the one that is getting hotter day by day (or shall i say night by night, since its on for the whole night). It cost me 36000 including VAT.

My requirements are very simple when it comes to computer for home use:

1. Lots of HDD space to store downloaded movies
2. Occassionally to play some old games like NFS-5 Porsche unleashed et al.
3. Should not die if kept switched on at a stretch for about 15-16 hours, 4-6 days a week.
4. Decent speed in terms of processing various tasks.
5. DVD writer is a must since i have to transfer the movies downloaded onto DVD's to watch in a stand-alone DVD player
6. Should not be outrageously priced

(a) Based on the above requirements, requesting the techies of the forum to advise me if its a good idea to sell my laptop and buy a desktop (plz suggest assembled or branded)?

(b) If point (a) is not a good idea, is there any laptop which can stand the kind of operation explained in point 3 of the requirements above?

(c) Is it inherent nature of AMD's to get hot when left on for a long time and will it not affect the system in any way? If it does not affect the system much in terms of performance, then I will stick to my current laptop itself.

Please help !!!!
Old 4th June 2008, 18:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

have you enabled cool and quiet , and set the processor to powersaving mode ?
Old 4th June 2008, 19:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
have you enabled cool and quiet , and set the processor to powersaving mode ?
Nope!! Have no idea how to do it. Would be much appreciated greenhorn if you put it down here on how to do it and I will try it out tonight first thing when I get home. Currently its running on the HP recommended configuration for the power settings and other things.

Also i have missed out in my post, I am using the Windows Vista basic edition.
Old 4th June 2008, 19:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

How to enable AMD Cool'n'Quiet or Intel SpeedStep in Windows Vista | Windows Vista for Beginners
I think it is enabled in vista by default anyway !
Old 4th June 2008, 19:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I. Very recently, I have started noticing that the laptop tends to get very hot and also the battery back up is dipping day by day.

Currently I own a Compaq laptop ....
Compaq does not enjoy a good reputation. That said, yes, laptops get hot. Mine is hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch underneath. There is no reason not to prop it up a little to let some air get underneath it and you can alway turn a small fan on it from a meter away or so. Any closer and it may interfere with your video or internal workings.

A Desk top will be much cheaper. You can purchase an external hard drive for backup and for portability. Some good brand names to consider for computers are Dell and Lenovo. These are not cheap. You might also ask around here and at your work place, there are private guys that can build you a great computer but you have to do careful research to find out who they are.
Old 4th June 2008, 19:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

if you want to get a desktop, get assembled from a reputed dealer. it will be better , cheaper, and have better service too
Old 4th June 2008, 19:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks greenhorn, I will try it tonight and update the thread!!
Old 4th June 2008, 19:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Compaq does not enjoy a good reputation. That said, yes, laptops get hot. Mine is hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch underneath. There is no reason not to prop it up a little to let some air get underneath it and you can alway turn a small fan on it from a meter away or so. Any closer and it may interfere with your video or internal workings.

A Desk top will be much cheaper. You can purchase an external hard drive for backup and for portability. Some good brand names to consider for computers are Dell and Lenovo. These are not cheap. You might also ask around here and at your work place, there are private guys that can build you a great computer but you have to do careful research to find out who they are.
Quote:
if you want to get a desktop, get assembled from a reputed dealer. it will be better , cheaper, and have better service too
This is what i was also thinking. And the external HDD is a very good and convenient option like pointed out by Dan. I guess Desktop is the way to go in terms of the usability i have got. Since I have an office laptop, I wont be lugging around my home one everywhere! So it kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop at home. I will work out some configuration with the help of some of my office people and post it here for advise.

Thanks to both you guys for your help in this regard.
Old 4th June 2008, 19:42   #9
BHPian

I guess you're looking for a kindoff download rig which can also perform as a HTPC , consumes less power, generates less heat and serves your purpose as a normal computer for daily routine work.

Look for a hard drive with atleast 750GB, HDD price are dropping like anything.

For occaisional gaming, onboard video will do. Nowadays motherboard with onboard video are quite capable of handling games at a decent resolution.

You can use the download rig 24x7 without any issues.

Single core CPU are EOL, all CPUs now are dual core which will be fast enought for your purpose.

DVD writers are also dirt cheap now.

If you research well for your config, you'll get a decent machine without spending much.

Keep your laptop as a backup, anyway the price that you'll get for your laptop will not make it worth to sell it.

The AMD heat issue is a myth.

BTW, this forum is best to answer all your queries..

PC Peripherals - TechEnclave
Old 4th June 2008, 20:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot ShakenSoul... That was a very helpful link that you provided which has helped me zero in on the configuration for the desktop.. Much appreciated mate!!!
Old 4th June 2008, 21:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot ShakenSoul... That was a very helpful link that you provided which has helped me zero in on the configuration for the desktop.. Much appreciated mate!!!
No problem mate, always happy to help a fellow member in distress cheers:
Old 4th June 2008, 21:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from greenhorn's suggestion,you can also use RM clock software to lower voltages of AMD dual-core CPU.You would have to find out which works better for your CPU.

Buying a laptop cooler is also good option.

Another interesting way i have found is to sit directly under fan in AC room.I do the same whenever i play games on my laptop and temp difference is quite significant.
Attached Thumbnails
Advise on buying a PC-capture.jpg  

Last edited by rsjaurr : 4th June 2008 at 21:42.
Old 5th June 2008, 18:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Apart from greenhorn's suggestion,you can also use RM clock software to lower voltages of AMD dual-core CPU.You would have to find out which works better for your CPU.

Buying a laptop cooler is also good option.

Another interesting way i have found is to sit directly under fan in AC room.I do the same whenever i play games on my laptop and temp difference is quite significant.
Thanks Rsj, i cant try the option of placing the laptop under the fan, coz it has to be placed on the bed where i sleep if i have to do that. And the amount of heat that is generated scares me as to if the bed spread will catch fire.. So i am staying away from that idea.. Better safe than sorry..

I have now zeroed in on a desktop config and keep my laptop as a back up. Will post the config here and get the advise of the people on board here to verify if its a good deal or not...

Thanks for your suggestions anyway!! And also could you please let me know what a laptop cooler is..? Have not heard of one
Old 5th June 2008, 18:23   #14
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rsj, i cant try the option of placing the laptop under the fan, coz it has to be placed on the bed where i sleep if i have to do that. And the amount of heat that is generated scares me as to if the bed spread will catch fire.. So i am staying away from that idea.. Better safe than sorry..

I have now zeroed in on a desktop config and keep my laptop as a back up. Will post the config here and get the advise of the people on board here to verify if its a good deal or not...

Thanks for your suggestions anyway!! And also could you please let me know what a laptop cooler is..? Have not heard of one
more info on Laptop Cooler here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post824922

Check my post there.

BTW whats you budget for the download rig? will try to come up with a config !
Old 5th June 2008, 18:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
more info on Laptop Cooler here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post824922

Check my post there.

BTW whats you budget for the download rig? will try to come up with a config !
Thanks a lot mate.. I will go thru the thread & decide if i need to buy one. I am planning to invest 25-28k for the download rig! Any ideas are most welcome!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks