Old 28th June 2008, 19:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wishing all the best for him
He did something which also lead to something called the team-bhp.com

if there was no computer, there will be no team bhp too
Old 28th June 2008, 19:39   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Perfectly said, end of an era. His push of technology must have impacted billions of people across this world.

However controversial he may be, he deserves a salute for his work in his field and off his field.
Old 28th June 2008, 19:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
What ever people have to say about Bill Gates and his company's products, I appreciate him for what he has done. The products of Microsoft are not the best and were not the best. But they ( the products ) had certain amount of user friendliness not seen earlier. Its only because of Microsoft that many, many people are finding it easier to use computer.

I respect such a human being for what he has managed to accomplish.
i just finished reading an article about Bill Gates in today's TOI which rightly pointed out that he was able to take advantage of the economy of scale in building a platform that enabled hardware manufactures and developers to reach the masses while Apple which boasts a superior product failed to leverage it completely.

However bad he is to the competition we have to admire the man for his marketing knack and also on his philanthropy activities. He apparently have donated half of his wealth for it. Think about it, How many billionaires in this world have the heart to donate that kind of money?
Old 28th June 2008, 19:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Perfectly said, end of an era. His push of technology must have impacted billions of people across this world.

However controversial he may be, he deserves a salute for his work in his field and off his field.
Agreed completely. Bangalore wouldn't have become the Silicon Valley of India had he not brought PCs to every home. Someone else might have done this, but full credit to Gates for doing it.
Old 28th June 2008, 22:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I just finished reading an article about Bill Gates in today's TOI which rightly pointed out that he was able to take advantage of the economy of scale in building a platform that enabled hardware manufactures and developers to reach the masses while Apple which boasts a superior product failed to leverage it completely.

It was basically apple that came out with GUI ( Graphical User Interface ). But it was Microsoft that developed a platform. This revolutionized the entire industry and results are what we see today. There are many users in the world that manage to use the computer thanks to Bill Gates.
Old 28th June 2008, 23:10   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think that is true at all. There are many users in the world that have used (and struggled) with his software on computers because of a combination of his marketing and legal departments.

We can't say what might have happened if MS had not won the marketing race hands down. Could have been something even worse!
Old 28th June 2008, 23:21   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

If ever there was a hard-hitting business man who revolutionized the way people worked, its Bill Gates. Ruthless and getting what he wanted personified this man.

Inspite of all the negative press, he will be recognized as the leading trailblazer of his century.
Old 29th June 2008, 00:36   #23
BHPian

Not too sure if anyone has seen "Pirates of Silicon Valley"... Its a must watch... Will tell you how Bill Gates was smart, fast, shrewd and techie!

How everyone else was just creating technology. He had the vision and the ability to understand that the computer should be and could be used by virtually anyone.
Old 29th June 2008, 11:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
and its very hard to imagine anyone else can grow to that stature even in the future.
They said the same thing about Thomas Edison and then Henry Ford. You wait, some little spindly Indian physicist will find a way to cold start nuclear fission from a combination of rice and cow poop and it will turn the world upside down.
Old 30th June 2008, 12:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Aah! finally. Good riddance! I must say.
I was about to say the same thing.. LOL... cheers:
Old 30th June 2008, 12:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Aah! finally. Good riddance! I must say.
I second you on this one.
Old 30th June 2008, 14:49   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Just have to loose that circus-show guy Ballmer, now!
Old 30th June 2008, 14:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Not too sure if anyone has seen "Pirates of Silicon Valley"... Its a must watch... Will tell you how Bill Gates was smart, fast, shrewd and techie!

How everyone else was just creating technology. He had the vision and the ability to understand that the computer should be and could be used by virtually anyone.
yup its a nice movie, don't know how correct is the story in the movie lol
Old 30th June 2008, 15:44   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
It was basically apple that came out with GUI ( Graphical User Interface ).
Nope, it was Xerox. Apple copied it from Xerox. Microsoft copied it from Apple.

I am amazed how many people hate BG. They all focus on his negatives and forget his positives.

Bill Gates was the first person who pioneered the idea of getting paid for software. In the 70s and early 80s, people just copied software without a thought. Only hardware was bought and sold, not software. It was the same thought process which made IBM give up any rights to DOS which they considered just software.

If IBM had their way, they would have never allowed the PC revolution to take place. The actions of Bill Gates in the 80s basically ripped open the computer world to the masses. I still remember, in 1993 a MAC cd-rom drive was priced 10 times that of a PC cd-rom drive. Do tell me who is the real conman here.

We in India especially should be grateful to Bill, cheap PCs are the primary reason why we had the computer revolution in India. It kind of coincided with the start of my career, that's how I know. If you have looked around for an IT job in the late 80s or early 90s in India, you would know too.
Old 30th June 2008, 15:52   #30
Team-BHP Support

I agree samu, people who spew venom against BG do not understand his many positives. He lives behind a legacy that probably turned India and its IT revolution around.

On a lighter note, for a change Xerox came out with a original and everyone copied from a Xerox! On a second thought, can there be an orginal Xerox?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks