Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2008, 09:56   #16
BANNED

Thanks for the help Vinay.

I tried one just now with DVDFab and Nero to burn the image. Same problem - DVD works fine till chapter 7 and then hangs.

2GB RAM - no other app running - will turn off the antivirus next time but in my Acer I dont have the problem.

Am now taking the ISO file to my other laptop and trying burning the same make blank DVD-R there. If it works there, I guess a call to Dell is in order.
Old 4th July 2008, 11:01   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

@deepak, This is OT, but here goes: I notice you have posted 4 consecutive messages in the span of 15 minutes, in this thread. Pls use the 'Edit' feature if you are posting again in the same thread instead of creating new posts.

Note: the posts being in the same thread means that the topic of all those posts was the same.

For ref, you can edit a post within 20 minutes of the initial posting of a message.
Old 4th July 2008, 13:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
I have a Dell Vostro 1200 notebook which is about 5 months old and have noticed the following problem.

I often make copies of my own music DVDs and try to play only the copies so that the originals are not damaged. I use DVD decrypter to rip the DVDs, DVD shrink the DVDs, and again DVD decrypter to write the ISO file back to a DVD-R.

This was all fine with my previous Acer notebook [which I still have and still works fine] but with my Dell I occasionally get a DVD which just stops playing usually about half an hour into the DVD. The problem 'seems' less if I write at 1X but its not frequent enough for me to comment really. IO really dont want to burn so slow either.

How do I check whether its a DVD writer issue? or some issue with the blank DVDs? Like I said the problem is not in every DVD so its difficult to actually test it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Deepak
My approach would be:

Do the Original DVD play properly?
  • If it does, then the problem is not in the software or codecs installed in the system
    If it does, codec would be the first place to start with, and then the DVD writer's firmware

If the Original plays fine, then try taking a disc-to-disc copy of the original and see if that plays fine.
  • If it does, copying/burning is not the problem, but the process of Decrypting and Shrinking should be
    If it does not, then the problem is with the burning process or with the blank disc itself (maybe try a different brand)

I have also faced such problems with RPC-1 firmwares for my drive. Is your firmware an original, RPC-2 version?

Let us know the outcome of these experiments, we should be having a better idea where the problem lies.
Old 4th July 2008, 14:15   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@deepak, This is OT, but here goes: I notice you have posted 4 consecutive messages in the span of 15 minutes, in this thread. Pls use the 'Edit' feature if you are posting again in the same thread instead of creating new posts.

Note: the posts being in the same thread means that the topic of all those posts was the same.

For ref, you can edit a post within 20 minutes of the initial posting of a message.
They were replies to different posts. Multi quoting so many posts makes for a very long post.
Old 4th July 2008, 14:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Why not convert your movies to Divx, you can retain the menus, subtitles & the languages too. I use Divx Pro which has been a real pro.
Old 4th July 2008, 14:41   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
deepakvrao : They were replies to different posts. Multi quoting so many posts makes for a very long post.
But still in the same thread. And a single post combining all those 4 posts would still not have been longer than our so-far-longest post !

Btw, my note was in line with other such instances that you would find elsewhere on TBHP.
Old 4th July 2008, 14:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But still in the same thread. And a single post combining all those 4 posts would still not have been longer than our so-far-longest post !

Btw, my note was in line with other such instances that you would find elsewhere on TBHP.

condor, chill. I am sure the mods are watching it & know what they are doing. Apart from that, i don't find anything wrong in deepak's post since there needs to be continuity in a thread. If i see you replying to my post within a minute, do you think it is nice for me to edit my post (which is above yours) to give you an answer ?
Old 4th July 2008, 15:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

@John, no doubts abt that. I haven't said that it was wrong, did i ? .

Also, the answer to the question in your post is - sequence. I cant give an answer to a question that comes later after my post, right ?

Last edited by condor : 4th July 2008 at 15:18.
Old 4th July 2008, 16:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

This sounds like a DVD drive problem to me. Could be a disc problem as well, if the discs are dirt cheap no-names. Some writers have problems with budget discs - so it could be both!

Ah, the sweet world of computers. Just like the ICE section - more confusion, no solution!
Old 4th July 2008, 17:21   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
condor, chill. I am sure the mods are watching it & know what they are doing. Apart from that, i don't find anything wrong in deepak's post since there needs to be continuity in a thread. If i see you replying to my post within a minute, do you think it is nice for me to edit my post (which is above yours) to give you an answer ?
Quote:
@John, no doubts abt that. I haven't said that it was wrong, did i ? .

Also, the answer to the question in your post is - sequence. I cant give an answer to a question that comes later after my post, right ?
No worries guys - I'll multiquote in future. Just that I have rarely used that feature. Not there in most forums AFAIK. OTOH Maybe I just haven't noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
This sounds like a DVD drive problem to me. Could be a disc problem as well, if the discs are dirt cheap no-names. Some writers have problems with budget discs - so it could be both!

Ah, the sweet world of computers. Just like the ICE section - more confusion, no solution!
I am using Imation, TDK Moser Baer etc. Today I found that my Acer has a max speed of 2x and I had no problem with the resultant disc on that laptop. So I tried my Dell at 2x and the disc seems fine although I have not yet seen it entirely.

I have also mailed a complaint to Dell as I found some complaints on some notebook forums regd this brand drive.
Old 5th July 2008, 13:16   #26
BANNED

Sent Dell a mail yesterday and they replied today. Am extremely impressed with Dell this time around.

Quote:
Dear Deepak,

Thank you for mailing promptly, and I sincerely appreciate your patience and efforts in helping me to get this issue resolved at the earliest.

At this point we are glad to inform you that as per your confirmation on below issue with DVD ROM drive we have set up a dispatch to send the replacement parts to you.

The Service Event Request number for this service is 790501304904

You may receive a call from our logistics team to schedule the date and time for delivery of parts.

In case you do not receive any communication from our Logistics team and you would like to know the status of the dispatch,

Please contact the Status Queue at 1-800-425-8045, choose option 2 and provide the Service Event Request number as a reference.

Thank you for choosing Dell.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Old 5th July 2008, 20:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Sent Dell a mail yesterday and they replied today. Am extremely impressed with Dell this time around.

Hey Deepak, this was a known issue with this model of DVD writer, this was mainly sold in UK. You had asked me how was I able to track the firmware for your drive. When it come to support I think after Apple, Dell is the best

There are some simple way you can take the Dell computers back to the original factory settings, only if you have not formatted it earlier, let me know which OS you have in your computer I will give you some tips and tricks for it.

Last edited by vinayvtec : 5th July 2008 at 20:44.
Old 5th July 2008, 21:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Hey Deepak, this was a known issue with this model of DVD writer, this was mainly sold in UK. You had asked me how was I able to track the firmware for your drive. When it come to support I think after Apple, Dell is the best.
Yes I second that.
Dell had recently some problem with DVD drives and even we had to replace few drives and Batteries.Their support and response is getting better every day.
Old 5th July 2008, 21:36   #29
ECM
BHPian

Which burner you use?If multipule burner are used this problem MAY occur for ex.Nero Latest version and Clone CD(in CD case),this has happened with me recently.I uninstalled both,clean registries,after clean restart I installed both programs,problem solved.
Old 6th July 2008, 09:00   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Hey Deepak, this was a known issue with this model of DVD writer, this was mainly sold in UK. You had asked me how was I able to track the firmware for your drive. When it come to support I think after Apple, Dell is the best

There are some simple way you can take the Dell computers back to the original factory settings, only if you have not formatted it earlier, let me know which OS you have in your computer I will give you some tips and tricks for it.
Vinay,

It came with Vista and after 3 months I formatted and loaded xp pro. I think I'll wait for the replacement drive and see how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Which burner you use?If multipule burner are used this problem MAY occur for ex.Nero Latest version and Clone CD(in CD case),this has happened with me recently.I uninstalled both,clean registries,after clean restart I installed both programs,problem solved.
Was using DVD Decrypter but on Vinays suggestion started Nero - same issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks