Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 17:23   #106
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad

I will be traveling to Manila next month for 2 weeks. Any suggestions for SIM card with good data and voice plans?
Old 16th May 2016, 13:25   #107
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad

Has anyone used the Reliance WorldSim Europe sim? They seem to be giving the best value for money (on paper). I want to know about their service and whether the sim works as it is supposed to work. Any hidden charges / fine print charges over and above what they claim?
Old 1st July 2016, 19:38   #108

An Australian entrepreneur had started a website called datago.co. SIM cards of many countries (mostly developed nations) are available with them. They do worldwide shipping and their response on email has been good. They also provide express shipping which costs around 30 AUD, which will provide tracking facility. I had recently purchased a Telstra Australia SIM card. Worked like a charm. Got it shipped within a week of ordering through their express shipping. They have all three types of sim-Normal, micro and non sims in a single package, the desired size can be pushed out. They also have a world roaming sim, which is currently not being stocked.
Old 5th September 2016, 12:37   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be travelling to UK for 10 days later this week. Should I buy a local sim there ( if yes which company) or a Matrix sim from here?
Old 5th September 2016, 14:57   #110
BHPian

Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad

Buy Lycamobile SIM for free and do a £5 / £10 topup. International calls are at 1p/min!
Also. opt for atleast a data bundle if not the 'All in one £10' bundle, as data is very expensive and will eat your balance in around10 mins of usage.

Last edited by aamateen46 : 5th September 2016 at 15:05.
Old 7th October 2016, 13:33   #111
Team-BHP Support

I have a question about international Roaming.
I need to use my India number just for GETTING SMS. In USA incoming SMS is free.

So I can get this seamless SIM from reliance India, and get SMS in the USA.
However there is no clarity on whether missed calls will be charged or not.
If they will be charged, its going to be hefty billing for me.

I am thinking, what if I do the following
In India, forward all calls to some local number.
Take the phone to USA.
So all SMSs will come in, but calls will get diverted to some other India number.

Will it work?
Old 7th October 2016, 14:00   #112
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Take the phone to USA.
So all SMSs will come in, but calls will get diverted to some other India number.

Will it work?
Not sure about the charges for missed call on international roaming, but in case of call forwarding, all forwarded calls are billed as regular calls even when you are in your local area.
Old 7th October 2016, 14:10   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Take the phone to USA.

Will it work?
I dont understand why an operator will charge you for a missed call. At least I dont get charged for any missed calls on my Airtel number when I am in Germany. I just see the calls and dial them back from my German number.
Old 24th April 2017, 13:52   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

My mother is travelling to Florida on a 10 day trip. What is the best mobile connectivity option for requirements as regular short calls and a little internet? Is Airtel international plan good enough (Rs.2999)?
Old 24th April 2017, 14:17   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hi,

My mother is travelling to Florida on a 10 day trip. What is the best mobile connectivity option for requirements as regular short calls and a little internet? Is Airtel international plan good enough (Rs.2999)?
I would suggest you to look at !dea international discounted pack valid for 10 days. The rental is Rs 599 + Rs 149 (IR activation fee) if your mother is not going to use mobile oftenly and can use WiFi for free where she stays and voice call once in a while if out of the house.

This will benefit you on the overall bill compared to a Rs 2999/- plan.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 896
Size:  22.2 KB

Cheers,
Amey
Old 7th July 2017, 14:44   #116
Team-BHP Support

TSIM was recommended by a friend who used it for their Europe trip.

Seems like a pretty good offering, though do note that "Unlimited" data actually means 250MB per day!
  • TSIM’s Unlimited European SIM card covers all of Europe with a single UK number. Multi Local capability gets you local numbers in most countries. Local calls, calls to India, Incoming, SMS & 3G/4G Data are free. Outgoing is by direct dial. Validity is for 7, 14 or 28 days. Prepaid.
  • 44 European countries in one SIM!
  • Bonus Countries! Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and USA.
  • Free incoming, local calls, calls to India, SMS and 3G/4G Data!
  • Prepaid: No billing shocks!
  • Multiple numbers on same SIM!
  • Outgoing with direct dial
  • Validity starts on first use in any covered country

Rs. 1,989 for 7 days
Rs. 3,249 for 14 days
etc

https://www.tsim.in/
Old 11th July 2018, 22:30   #117
Senior - BHPian

I am travelling to the USA and am on Airtel network. The phone is Redmi 3S prime and I am unable to latch onto AT&T network, which is the only one showing in Denver. Tried contacting Airtel and they have been useless so far. Initially they told me my call forwarding is activated and hence it isn't working, and I see that the call forwarding is disabled. Sometime, during late in the night here, I get some calls but no SMS at all and I am not sure whats happening. Anyone here knows what the issue is what I can do to get it to work?
Old 12th July 2018, 01:27   #118
BHPian

For UK LycaMobile is very good. Am in London now and got the SIM for £1 and recharged for £5. This gives me 500mins of calls to India, which is more than enough for a 1 week trip. After recharging SMS SAVE to 2525 for the savings package to be activated. No data option taken since hotel and office having Wi-Fi.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 12th July 2018 at 01:31.
Old 12th May 2019, 10:55   #119
BHPian

I am travelling to Singapore in mid June for 4 days. Need a pre-paid/postpaid local SIM. Suggestions please!
Old 12th May 2019, 11:09   #120
BHPian

For 4 days, you can look at roaming packs from Indian service providers, quite decent option.
I used airtel 1000rs pack for my week long visit to SGP last year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks