Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 9th June 2019, 18:40   #136

Default Re: Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
You said you are moving, so I am assuming it's a month long or even longer travel. You have to remember that local sim cards are the best always for longer term use and remember it's not just you calling India but locals calling you and vice versa. So depending on your location chose which carrier fits your bills better be it Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.

But another worry for you is to keep the India number for banking OTP / verification unless you are leaving that with relatives. So you have to anyway keep that in service with international roaming.

If this is not your first travel to the USA them you already have SSN and it will be handy to get you a phone number on landing. Otherwise if this is your first travel it will be a few days until you get a address proof to say the least like rent contract.

For first time travel, if you can live with your international roaming regular India number with some plans and package and WiFi based WhatsApp calling then all of set. If not, go for an additional sim which offers best cheap rates and good service feedback, several suggestions are there on this thread.
Well, I'm looking to by the TSIM Unlimited USA SIM card directly from their site, I found a good deal for a SIM card which is valid for 1 month and costs INR 1789 (pre-shipping). It also includes some free gift which I can choose during check out.

My colleague suggested buying a SIM in U.S. at JFK from Lyca for $30, which isn't available for purchase in India.

I'm just wondering if anybody has ever used either TSIM or Lyca in the U.S. and if so, would they recommend it ?
Dhiwakar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 23:10   #137
BHPian

Default Re: Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiwakar92 View Post
I'm just wondering if anybody has ever used either TSIM or Lyca in the U.S. and if so, would they recommend it ?
Have used Lyca once and never used it again. Unless you are on road or open spaces, getting signals was always a problem. forget about being able to get signals inside building or basement. Go for T- Mobile with Eyes closed. In US, You will see lots of T mobile shops where they bundle a Mid range phone with SIM for as low as 60 USD with a small commitment. You can always unlock them post lock in Period and use the same phone in india.
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 02:28   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiwakar92 View Post
Lyca is rubbish in most places is what I've heard. For starting off, I'd suggest getting ATT prepaid if you don't have a SSN. Costs $30 a month for 1GB of data with autopay, cheaper if you have a group- I pay $22 a month for it.

For calls to India, I use google voice. It's very cheap at $ 0.01 per minute. $ 10 works for a year for me, so never bothered exploring any other option.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote