Team-BHP - Best way to rip DVDs?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Best way to rip DVDs? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/43066-best-way-rip-dvds.html)

I was thinking of this as a weekend project. My iPod has each and every song that I like (60's forward), neatly archived and ripped to the highest quality possible. How about a movie collection as well?

What is the absolute best way to rip DVDs with the following points in consideration:

1. Focus only on quality. File size / disc space is not an issue.

2. Retain all features (subtitles etc.).

3. Retain audio quality.

4. PLayback will be on an LCD / Plasma, and not the computer.

Any recommended softwares and procedures? Thanks!

The ripping guides :)

GTO, Do you have a Windows system to do the ripping process?

Also please explain

4. PLayback will be on an LCD / Plasma, and not the computer.

How will the LCD / Plasma get the required input from? Harware player or computer?
Do you want to retain menu's, chapters etc?

For best quality possible, you need to do 2 pass encoding, which will take double time.

just get "dvd decrypter" software - you will get the complete vob files ripped in full quality onto your harddisk. If you want rip it in ifo mode and get the required subtitles, languages, etc - you can then convert the vob to mobile media format using dr.divx if you want to use it on some mobile device :) I use this to back up all my original dvd movies, as over a long term dvds are not good for data retention
DVD Decrypter

GTO, since you have mentioned no space constrain, "DVD decrypter used with Ripit4me" is the best way to rip in original quality with all features.

Now there are ways to improve original quality with Avisynth and DVD rebuilder but its a time consuming process and needs some insight into avisynth scripts and filters.

The *best* way is a bit time consuming. will involve playing with some pre processing filters, encoding settings , custom matrices and what not. Not to forget multi pass encoding. Doom9 is the definitive DVD ripper site. I'd spend some quality time there if I wanted to find out the tinier details. I used to know them pretty well when i had to backup DVD quality TV tuner captures to CD, but now that DVD's are cheap, I just back up straight to DVD.

I'd also recommend x264 over Xvid for larger files to get better quality :D

For Mac users I have yet to find something as simple and effective as Mac The Ripper.

MacTheRipper

Sam, have you tried HandBrake?
GTO, you too should take a look at this. Its available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
Dont know about the output quality though.

doom9 is the best site for information on ripping and likes.
I use VLC media player for ripping DVDs and it works like a charm
DVDs: Rip DVDs with VLC

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 917826)
GTO, since you have mentioned no space constrain, "DVD decrypter used with Ripit4me" is the best way to rip in original quality with all features.

Now there are ways to improve original quality with Avisynth and DVD rebuilder but its a time consuming process and needs some insight into avisynth scripts and filters.

I second that. Have used DVD Decrypter, Ripit4me. Two programs that are missing are DVD Idle Pro (useful for removing copyrights) and DVD Shrink (for burning on standard DVD of 4.7 GB). Both are free, as are decrypter and ripit4me, though idle pro has a 90 day free period. Once past that, can use DVD Region Free CSS (also with DVD Idle Pro). The program resides in the registry and automatically checks the day of instal. Clean the registry and you can use DVD Idle Pro indefinitely. I find DVD Idle Pro to be better than ripit4me. However, ripit4me is perhaps better in breaking all codes that sometimes DVD Idle Pro cannot.

Try these and you will not be disappointed.

I rely on DVD fab.
Not much of a complication. Decent output. Lots of formats compatibility. And overall convenience.
A definite recommendation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO - Touring (Post 917613)
What is the absolute best way to rip DVDs

What DVDs are these? Dont you buy DVDs?

Ripping Music has the advantages of carrying 10-100GB of music around but DVDs? how often do you want to watch the same movie? Most movies made today are not worth watching once, leave alone twice.

For home made DVDs I'd use this process...it is super simple...
Camera Canon HF10
DVD Burner Canon DW 100

1. Shoot home movie on camera
2. Connect Camera to DVD burner

It starts and copies movie from Camera to DVD burner, no PC, No software, nothing else required.

If your movies are long get the BP 819 extended life battery pack (the 809 battery Canon gives survives about 60 mins only).

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 918534)
What DVDs are these? Dont you buy DVDs?

I rip all my music DVDs as I dont want to spoil the originals [expensive and difficult to get]. These I rip to DL DVD blanks.

When I borrow a movie from a library I rip it [main movie only] to a SL DVD as I often take 3-4 days to finish one movie.

DVD Decrpter or DVD Fab

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 917970)
For Mac users I have yet to find something as simple and effective as Mac The Ripper.

MacTheRipper

Thanks for this info Sam. I was looking out for this to use on my iMac.

As for Windows, I have been using DVD Decrypter.