Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2008, 14:28   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
True, but location of servers, and server technology has a play in speed of results etc as well(Although those are secondary to the actual quality of results). So in a sense you are right, but the ability to have mass amounts of servers strategically placed throughout the world definitely helps the user experience.
I don't think server location matters wrt to speed & efficiency. With the internet having become what it is today, location is irrelevant. Team-BHP's box is located in California, but I haven't heard anyone complaining about load times (except when there's too many users causing server stress). We also have a backup server located somewhere else on the planet. I can't disclose the location

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
They have to be scalable at the beginning itself, otherwise it wont work.
Scalable yes. But my point was : Their current traffic can be expected to be far (and far) less than 1% of what Google enjoys. Thus, they don't need the infrastructure that google has. Server strength should prolly be capable of serving 25% more users than you expect at any given time.
Old 10th August 2008, 10:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think server location matters wrt to speed & efficiency. With the internet having become what it is today, location is irrelevant. Team-BHP's box is located in California, but I haven't heard anyone complaining about load times (except when there's too many users causing server stress). We also have a backup server located somewhere else on the planet. I can't disclose the location
GTO, that is not a fair comparison. TBHP probably has only one database (which is not replicated). Google has a HUGE distributed database. They also need to have multiple servers so that they can do load balancing and also allow for local searches. In that case, it makes sense for search engines to have multiple servers and distributed data so that there is no single point of failure. Am sure both MSN and Yahoo also do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Scalable yes. But my point was : Their current traffic can be expected to be far (and far) less than 1% of what Google enjoys. Thus, they don't need the infrastructure that google has. Server strength should prolly be capable of serving 25% more users than you expect at any given time.
That would have been OK, if they hadnt done the advertising that they did. They billed themselves as a better product than Google, said that they were run by ex Top Google Engineers and just created a lot of hype. I'd say that they got atleast 10% or more of Google's traffic.
But the problem was their interface was not that good and their search results were rubbish. That will immediately cause people to go back to Google.

The simple fact is, if you want to beat Google (or any other company), offer something that they dont have and do it better. Not just equally good, but better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks