Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 12:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Connecting Home PC with Remote Desktop

Few months back I searched and found one tutorial on internet about enabling Remote Desktop connection in home PC/Laptop running on Dyanamic IP. Unfortunately, I did not save that link and I lost that. Yesterday again I did full google search but did not find that link/tutorial.

Yes, it is very much possible to connect your home PC from anywhere in the world provided that you know the IP allocated to your ADSL modem/router by ISP. To enable remote desktop, it needs to change some router/modem settings and some port forwarding stuff (not remembering exactly).

Windows XP and Vista already comes with Remote Desktop connection software.

Do any member know how to connect home PC/Laptop with remote desktop?
Old 6th August 2008, 12:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

I use a better solution. Use one of those web based remote connectivity solutions that come free. You do not need any downloads or port forwarding or anything else either. Its cheap, easy and faster IMO.
Old 6th August 2008, 12:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

I use www.logmein.com . Its free (without addon options like file transfer etc).

All you need is a browser and the logmein program installed on the destination computer. Of course, you cant use this option if you have privacy/security concerns.

Dunno about the port fwding setup needed by Remote Desktop. But cant you use DynDNS Free Dynamic DNS (DDNS) Service instead of remembering your PC's dynamic ip address?
Old 6th August 2008, 12:59   #4
BHPian

TeamViewer - Free Desktop Sharing and Remote Control is another option.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I use a better solution. Use one of those web based remote connectivity solutions that come free. You do not need any downloads or port forwarding or anything else either. Its cheap, easy and faster IMO.
Do we get complete control over HomePC/Laptop using these web based solutions ?

Don't you think using some third party software or web based desktop sharing application may some concern over security of home pc data? I mean like logmein can get my password and other details easily If I use that. I am not sure though.

In router method there is no thirdparty apart from ISP who can sniff you PC. Well suggestions welcome.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

I got the link

I got the link of tutorial which explains how to connect home pc from anywhere in the world using remote desktop connection

Here is the link.

I shall give it a try today.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:52   #7
BHPian

Hi Anuj,
the safest and reliable method is through port forwarding and use of Dynamic DNS. DynDns because your IP address may change every day unless you subscribe for a fixed IP address from you Service provider. else, register a domain with DyDns. Now what you want to do with the remote connection has to be setup with port forwarding, ex: ftp, file sharing etc will use different ports. there are other softwares available which actually drill holes in the firewall of your home PC based on the configurations you make. Windows Xp also has its own remote desktop feature..
Old 6th August 2008, 13:59   #8
BHPian

There is a flaw in the link you provided .. what this guy has provided 192.168.1.3 is his Lan ip address provided by any router to a LAN device. Now how do you access your home PC is through the WAN.. which will be different from LAN ip address...
Old 6th August 2008, 15:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Let me briefly outline the steps - I had been using this for years now

If you have a Modem / Router with NAT enabled, you need to do a port forwarding for port (port # 3389).

If you are within a corporate network where outbound 3389 will be blocked, follow this on your home computer: How to change the listening port for Remote Desktop

Sign-up for any of the Dynamic DNS services - most (if not all!) are free. If you have a modem / router that supports DDNS, then configure your Dynamic DNS username and password in the modem router, else use one of the computer based DDNS updater - this software will publish your IP to the DDNS you had signed up.

You can use the Remote Desktop Connection and use your home computer like it is a local system. You can also map USB / Printer ports, etc to the local computer. If you changed your RDP listening port then use URL:<New port Number> in the Remote Desktop Connection client.

If you want to use a web browser, then you need to enable IIS and configure your home PC for this: Set Up Remote Desktop Web Connection with Windows XP

I guess thats pretty much it. If anyone needs further queries clarification, please post back, will give my best shot!! A bit of Googling on the terms used will also help.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 6th August 2008 at 15:11.
Old 6th August 2008, 16:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
There is a flaw in the link you provided .. what this guy has provided 192.168.1.3 is his Lan ip address provided by any router to a LAN device. Now how do you access your home PC is through the WAN.. which will be different from LAN ip address...
I think he is just explaining with example. So in place of that we can use our actual assigned IP by ISP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Let me briefly outline the steps - I had been using this for years now

If you have a Modem / Router with NAT enabled, you need to do a port forwarding for port (port # 3389).
Nice info ph03n!x! I will give it a try and will keep your suggestions in mind. I will google and read about DDNS service.

I needed RDC because our home laptop is repository of all our important stuffs. So some point of time when we are out of home, we need some info from home. This is the best way in which we can get info anywhere in the world.
Old 6th August 2008, 17:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to add - home PC (or laptop) needs to be on (not in sleep / hibernation!). WoL may help here.
Old 6th August 2008, 21:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

I needed RDC because our home laptop is repository of all our important stuffs. So some point of time when we are out of home, we need some info from home. This is the best way in which we can get info anywhere in the world.
if it's just about data, you can use online backup options. I use Mozyhome which is free for 2 GB and it automatically updates the backup everyday when my comp is idle.
Old 6th August 2008, 22:12   #13
BHPian

Try to download a software called Ultra VNC (search in google)
Its free & easy to setup and use. It can be used via lan or using a live IP
Old 7th August 2008, 12:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Ultra VNC (search in google) Its free & easy to setup and use. It can be used > via lan or using a live IP

The above combined with a DynDNS dynamic updation is easy to setup and use.

I do it for my shop use.

Most Viewed