Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2008, 13:33   #1
BHPian

Using Google & Yahoo India Maps on standalone GPS Device

Hi Guys,

I'm searching for a GPS solution for my car. Earlier I was going in for Mapmyindia/Satnav PND which was available for around 16k. But I found out, it was just generic GPS device they are giving, running Win CE 5.0. Such devices are available on eBay(the US one) having same specs (SiRF III Chipset, Samsung ARM9 400MHZ CPU, WinCE 5.0 and support for SD Cards) for less than $100.
I was recommended on some other forum, that there is high probability that it would run mapmyindia s/w without any issues...

However as I was seaching team-bhp, I found out members weren't impressed with accuracy of mapmyindia or satnav maps, atleast for the Delhi & NCR. Rather they found Google or Yahoo Road Maps more accurate...This was however for smartphone w/ GPS based solution...

Can anyone guide me, which standalone GPS device to buy which can run google/yahoo maps...I would prefer the cheapest one

Regards,
Old 7th September 2008, 21:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

etrex legend HCX if you want anything decent and cheaptest.

Search free Garmin maps by location has free maps. OpenStreetMap maps can be converted too.
Old 7th September 2008, 22:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste View Post
Hi Guys,

However as I was seaching team-bhp, I found out members weren't impressed with accuracy of mapmyindia or satnav maps, atleast for the Delhi & NCR. Rather they found Google or Yahoo Road Maps more accurate...This was however for smartphone w/ GPS based solution...
Regards,
That is inaccurate. Yahoo India maps are the same as Mapmyindia. Yahoo India sources the data from CE Info systems the makers of mapmyindia. In any case, all the maps including Google have many errors.

I haven't specifically used the maps in Delhi (since nowadays, I am based in Bangalore). If your main requirement to cover is NCR and not outside, and you have found Google maps to be more accurate, then go for Google maps, else MapmyIndia/Yahoo India is better for pan India coverage. Many other cities and towns existing as a single road in Google Maps.

I use mgmaps with Google maps/Yahoo India maps for my N95 phone. If you buy a device that runs a JVM/MIDP2.0 with certain JSR for GPS access supported, mgmaps will work for you. However, it does not have true navigation capability for India. There are also similar freely available apps.
Cheers
Old 8th September 2008, 00:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
etrex legend HCX if you want anything decent and cheaptest.

Search free Garmin maps by location has free maps. OpenStreetMap maps can be converted too.
Hmm...I should get Garmin GPS device then...

Thanks for replying guys...
etrex legend is handheld one i believe? I'm looking for In-Dash type of GPS, since I'll be only using it only in car...
Moreover, I've observed that most of Garmin models are 12 parallel Channel GPS. I've read that its adviced to go for atleast 16 channel or more...will this be an issue? Competing devices offer 16 or 20 channel reciever at a similar or lower price range...
Also through the website you've given, will I able to download free maps 'coz I was thinking of sourcing the navigator from US and getting the official garmin India map pack for 5k seems a little too much...
If I go for Garmin, I had decided to go for NUVI 200W...Is it a good choice ?

@lancer_rit I don't know really, about how accurate google maps are...I felt that was the general opinion when I was reading old threads on team-bhp...maybe that's changed since mapmyindia maps release 2.0...can more NCR members share thier opinion

Another solution I've contemplating is getting a cheap chinese GPS like this one:
New 3.5" GPS SAT NAV

Spec wise it looks good and I'm confident that it would run mapmyindia software since its windows CE 5.0 based. Its similar to the navigator which mapmyindia is offering for 16k...its risky I know, and will cost around 5k for the navigator+2k for mapmyindia NCR map..
what do you guys think is it risk worth taking?
Old 8th September 2008, 16:18   #5
BHPian

BUMP...also is there any GPS solution available in India having traffic reports ?
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:53   #6
BHPian

No facility that incorporates live traffic updates as of now in India, either with Mapking, Satguide, Route66.
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

The chinese unit you have linked to is running iGo. No doubt it can run mapmyindia.

I have a similar generic unit and it is a very easy to run mapmyindia and various other satnav software on the unit.
Old 26th September 2008, 21:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm searching for a GPS solution for my car. Earlier I was going in for ...

Can anyone guide me, which standalone GPS device to buy which can run google/yahoo maps...I would prefer the cheapest one

Regards,

Hey i am using MAPMYINDA GPS Navigator[Delphi Model][19K] , Their maps are accurate as of now. Ofcourse there will no TMC. But i am with performance, Sometime it hangs for long route search. Like for 2000+KM search. MapmyIndia.com Online maps, GPS Navigation, Driving Directions, Local Search , They have other solutoin for GPS mobile too in around 1200 INR.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:05   #9
BHPian

BTW can anybody give feedback for Garmin GPS maps for NCR reigon...
If anyone can compare garmin & mapmyindia maps...it would be awesome...
I've heard satnav maps are not that good...
Old 30th September 2008, 19:59   #10

Well I find Google Maps on my blackberry very nice. The only cost is 800 Rs per month for an unlimited data plan, dirt cheap compared to the rest of the world.

It can tell you the current location (in range of 500ms to 800ms) without a GPS device purely by using cell phone triangulation. The more towers the more accurately it will show your current location.

You could also pair a GPS device by bluetooth and it will show you the exact position.

Good luck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks