Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 00:24   #1
BHPian

Hard disk upgrade query

I have a single 120 GB SATA HD setup in RAID 0 (don't ask why ).

I need to add another 500GB SATA HD to the system but am not sure how the config would go.
I am looking to make the 500GB the primary one and use the older HD just to load data/downloads from. Should I be connecting this 120GB to the second SATA port at all? I remember that the time when I setup the system, enabling RAID meant loss of all data on the drive.

What I can not afford is the loss of data on this drive. Is it safe to connect it internally or do I go the USB enclosure way?

Suggestions please... I can't find the info anywhere.
Old 11th September 2008, 00:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

How can you have a single drive in a RAID array?

Regardless of that, SATA doesnt have a master/slave system since each drive has its own dedicated channel. Just connect your new drive to your motherboard, don't add it to the array, and select it as the first boot device once you're done with installing an Operating System on it.
Old 11th September 2008, 00:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

whatever you do, if the data is important, first thing you should do is buy an external drive and back it up before doing any circus
Old 11th September 2008, 00:41   #4
BHPian

You can have one HD in a raid 0 "array". I was stupid enough to enable it on my PC. I know I did because the HD was reformatted when I did so (Hence the fear of losing data).

This is some great info pranavt. I was going bonkers thinking about what will happen to my data. I will give it a shot as soon as I get my new HD.
Old 11th September 2008, 00:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
whatever you do, if the data is important, first thing you should do is buy an external drive and back it up before doing any circus
LOL I thought about that - actually, I just might do it. Just for peace of mind. This HD contains practically all my stuff and thats the reason I am adding another to the system. That should help me keep two copies of stuff and reduce stress on the existing HD.
Old 11th September 2008, 09:48   #6
BANNED

This format a new sata disk thing - is that OS specific? Or does the bios get dirty when it detects a new disk? Is not "adding a new disk to tha array" done through the Raid bios? (not just the normal MoBo bios?) I run linux, and it is fairly easy for me to just plug in the new disk, and simply copy the installation ("system files" in Winduhs jargon) directoriesand edit just one file.

OT:- how much does the 500GB thingie cost? I have one sata drive, and TWO IDE hard disks (from a comp with a failed SMPS - cannot find time to shop around and swap a new SMPS - it was a 800MHZ P3).
Old 11th September 2008, 09:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

As pranav quoted earlier, NO you cannot.

RAID 0 is a stripe set and needs 2 physical disks.

Please post a screenshot of your RAID manager for clarity. It might be that you enabled it but without another disk it would be doing nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
You can have one HD in a raid 0 "array". I was stupid enough to enable it on my PC. I know I did because the HD was reformatted when I did so (Hence the fear of losing data).

This is some great info pranavt. I was going bonkers thinking about what will happen to my data. I will give it a shot as soon as I get my new HD.

Last edited by dadu : 11th September 2008 at 09:49.
Old 11th September 2008, 19:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
As pranav quoted earlier, NO you cannot.

RAID 0 is a stripe set and needs 2 physical disks.

Please post a screenshot of your RAID manager for clarity. It might be that you enabled it but without another disk it would be doing nothing.
Right on!
It was not doing anything and a BIOS upgrade seems to have disabled it. I saw the HD as removable and thought it was working. Think I can safely upgrade without bothering abt the RAID business.

BTW @BaCkSeAtDrIVeR - I paid the equivalent of Rs. 3K here for a 500GB Seagate. Hitachi is a little cheaper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks