Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 20:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

scheduling windows vista tasks

Hi guys,

Can somebody guide me on how to create tasks in windows vista. Basically to improve my startup time, i have removed everything from my startup and created batch files to call those programs. i want a task/reminder 5-10 mins after bootup to run those programs.

1. I am not able to put all programs in a batch file. the first program runs and then it stops there, doesn't execute the second line. once i kill it, and execute again, it runs second line.

this is how my startup.bat looks

c:\progra~1\windowssidebar\sidebar.exe
c:\progra~1\widcomm\blueto~1\bttray.exe
c:\progra~1\hewlett-packard\hpquic~1\qlbctrl.exe /start

2. how to set up a task to execute 10 mins after the startup? without running another third party S/W at startup.

3. on an unrelated note, does anybody know how to reconfigure the quicklaunch buttons on tablet to page up/page down? this will be a big help in tablet mode. I NEVER use the quick launch buttons for playback.
Old 18th September 2008, 22:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Try changing progra~1 to program files. Since Win XP, DOS has only been an operating environment and not an operating system.

You can also try putting all the startup shortcuts in the startup folder. Start > Programs > Startup. These programs always execute last.

Creating a task with your requirements. Well I have no idea about that.

For the quicklaunch buttons (page up & down) you will need to do some hacks in the registry. Will find them and let you know.

PS: Do you really use the sidebar? And for the other two programs in your example you can just simply disable the tray icon for them and their related program will not launch. The first thing I do with all my systems is to disable the tray icons that I dont need.

Last edited by vikram_d : 18th September 2008 at 22:26.
Old 18th September 2008, 22:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

the problem is i need them. but not at the startup when i am in a hurry to resolve some production problem. so i have disabled them but i need to start them all once i have settled. I use side bar for weathe, USD-INR rate update, timer/stretch reminder etc

the programs actually executed with the current path. just not all at once. So i don't think it's an issue with the path. actually it fails if i used spaces in the path name.

I found out what program the quick launch uses, and for the moment i have renamed the program so it doesn't run if i accidently press the buttons. the problem is same program is called (QP.exe) by both buttons with different parameters. I also found the program in registry and tried chaning ti to point to another program. didn't work. copying another program as QP.exe in program folder fooled the quickplay into invoking that program though.

by the way, I need quick launch, which helps me in rotating screen and calling mobility center. I do not need quick play which is DVD and music player. there are four more buttons (play, stop, revers, forward). not sure if they can be be reprogrammed too.
Old 18th September 2008, 23:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Another simple solution that I use for really fast booting up. I have created two different login accounts on my system. on the quickboot one everything in startup is disabled. And I have all the startup shortcuts on the windows quicklaunch toolbar. I just start them when I need them.

The other account is the full blown startup and is twice as slow to boot up as the lean boot.

Still searching for hp quick launch solution.
Old 19th September 2008, 09:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Make your bat file like this:

Quote:
start /d "c:\program files\google\google sketchup 6" sketchup.exe
start /d "C:\Program Files\TrueCrypt" truecrypt.exe
The /d switch changes the path to whatever's after it. Then just specify the exe you want to run. Start opens a new window to run whatever command is mentioned after it, instead of running it in the same window...Try it.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to add about the task scheduling bit, and my earlier post hasn't been approved yet. Check Control Panel > Task Scheduler to schedule stuff whenever you want, it probably does have the "Start X minutes after booting" option for scheduling tasks.

As for the quicklaunch buttons, you mean multimedia buttons? Or could you take a pic otherwise? Those can be re-mapped by using some hotkey application. Or better, if your tablet's keyboard drivers support it natively, try that.
Old 19th September 2008, 14:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

For creating a task in Vista do the following. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > task Scheduler.

Here you can create a task to execute your startup file. You can also set a trigger for it to run at system startup and add a delay of 10 mins. This way your task will execute 10mins after startup. At least this is what I thik the delay feature does. Let me know how it goes. Also ensure that the Activate check box is checked.

Info about the delay feature.

Delay task for or Delay task for up to (random delay): This setting allows you to specify an amount of time to delay the task from running, after the task is triggered. If you are using a time-based trigger (On a schedule), then the delay time will be a random time between the time the task is triggered and the time specified in this setting. If a task is scheduled to be triggered at 1:00 pm, and the Delay task for up to (random delay) setting is set to 5 minutes, then the task will run sometime between 1:00 pm and 1:05 pm.
Attached Thumbnails
scheduling windows vista tasks-trigger.jpg  

Last edited by vikram_d : 19th September 2008 at 14:40.
Old 19th September 2008, 18:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

thanks pranav, start /d solved my problem.

and I had somehow overlooked the delay in task scheduler. hopefully it will work (all the time).

about the buttons, here is a visual. the ones marked in green are controlled by quick launch. the two in front marked by red are controlled by quickplay, which i want to reconfigure. the other 4 in red are reportedly system buttons, i have not even bothered to test them yet. I am not much of a music/movies types.

EDIT: apparently HP had given a control panel for reconfugring, but it doesn't work with vista, only with XP. I have TX2000Z.

scheduling windows vista tasks-dsc00439_1.jpg

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 19th September 2008 at 19:04.
Old 19th September 2008, 19:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ah, can you tell me which tablet this is? Will make it easy for me to find something useful.
Old 19th September 2008, 19:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

HP Tx2000Z, mentioned in my post below.
Old 19th September 2008, 19:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Try this for the quick launch buttons

(Solveld) - HP Quickplay buttons « How-To Geek Forums
Old 19th September 2008, 20:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

for the last time, I NEED quick launch. I do not need quick play

ok, the post talks about disabling them, I already did that by renaming my QP.exe. the buttons are inactive now.

But they also say they were not able to capture the buttons and redirect it to do something else. I can place an exe that i can execute by renaming it to QP.exe. but both buttons use the same exe with ddifferent parms. I guess i can write a small app to read those and send pgup/pgdown instruction.
Old 20th September 2008, 01:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. on an unrelated note, does anybody know how to reconfigure the quicklaunch buttons on tablet to page up/page down? this will be a big help in tablet mode. I NEVER use the quick launch buttons for playback.

Quote:
by the way, I need quick launch, which helps me in rotating screen and calling mobility center. I do not need quick play which is DVD and music player. there are four more buttons (play, stop, revers, forward). not sure if they can be be reprogrammed too.

Quote:
about the buttons, here is a visual. the ones marked in green are controlled by quick launch. the two in front marked by red are controlled by quickplay, which i want to reconfigure. the other 4 in red are reportedly system buttons, i have not even bothered to test them yet. I am not much of a music/movies types.
Quote:
for the last time, I NEED quick launch. I do not need quick play
You mean the DVD and Rotate buttons right? I read in a couple of places that those buttons don't register as keystrokes in any monitoring app, so there's no way to re-map them using any software. It's probably implemented using some HP driver. I guess the control panel from HP is your only hope for now...
Old 20th September 2008, 02:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Bit OT, use USB Memory stick to enhance system performance.
Explore the features: Performance
Explore the features: SuperFetch
Old 20th September 2008, 09:16   #15
BHPian

This works...
call c:\progra~1\windowssidebar\sidebar.exe
call c:\progra~1\widcomm\blueto~1\bttray.exe
call c:\progra~1\hewlett-packard\hpquic~1\qlbctrl.exe /start

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks