Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 22:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help my 5.1 speakers dont work with my DVD

Guys,

My friend bought an Altec Lansing vs 3251 5.1 channel system and decided to connect it to a Samsung DVD player with USB, FM and 5.1 channel output. Every thing went off fine till the time we decided to connect the two.
The jacks of dvd wont fit into the AL and those of AL wont fit into DVD.
Pictures 1 & 2 The jacks of DVD and its rear.
Pictures 3 & 4 The jacks of AL and its rear.

We tried using connectors and the following pictures show the connectors and the way they were used to plug both outs from the DVD to the single input jack of the AL's.

Now the problem is that at any given point of time only two speakers work that too when they are plugged into the lower socket as shown in the picture 6.

Guys help us out as to how can we make all of them work together? Urgent as after spending 4.2K on the Al's and 3.5K for the Samsung DVD we are still not making it work.
Attached Thumbnails
Help my 5.1 speakers dont work with my DVD-picture-013.jpg  

Help my 5.1 speakers dont work with my DVD-picture-008.jpg  

Help my 5.1 speakers dont work with my DVD-picture-011.jpg  

Help my 5.1 speakers dont work with my DVD-picture-009.jpg  

Help my 5.1 speakers dont work with my DVD-picture-016.jpg  

Help my 5.1 speakers dont work with my DVD-picture-017.jpg  

Help my 5.1 speakers dont work with my DVD-picture-018.jpg  

Help my 5.1 speakers dont work with my DVD-picture-015.jpg  

Last edited by wanderernomad : 6th October 2008 at 22:49.
Old 6th October 2008, 23:10   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I'm assuming that all the channels can be plugged in!.... since there is no pic showing all plugged in.

Are you sure your source DVD/video is proper 5.1 channel sound?...

I am not sure if these DVD players can create a virtual 5.1 from any source... like PCs do.

try a tested 5.1 channel sound source.... it should work!....

also there is an option in the samsung to enable or disable 5.1... set that up.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th October 2008 at 00:41. Reason: See note.
Old 6th October 2008, 23:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello, it is I.

Allow me to elaborate on your predicament.

5.1 Audio cannot be transmitted through 2 jacks. it can either be transmitted digitally (using wither an optical or coaxial cable) or through 6 different audio cables.

In your case, the combination of products is correct. You have an Altec Lansing 5.1 channel system, with no digital decoders onboard and to compensate that - you have a DVD player with an onboard decoder.
Now let us consider your photos.

Unfortunately picture number 4 has flash glare so I cannot read which inout is what on the Altec. However I will assume that the 3 EP inputs (EP stands for earphone size) are stereo each, thus allowing 6 sepearate inputs. A rather stupid input module, if I may add, but one that works.

Logic tells me, one pin is for left and right front, another for left and right surround and the 3rd for Centre and Subwoofer. (Most probably the black one)
Under ordinary conditions, the 3 stereo EP jacks would be connected to a 5.1 out sound card, which also has Stereo EP outputs.
However in the case you wish to connect it to a regular DVD, AL has provided these Stereo Female EP to 2 RCA connectors.

Now, assuming you are not completely confused, let me tell you that picture number 6 is correct. Connect another RCA connector exactly on top of it, to the 2 rear out.
The 3rd connector will go to sub out, couple with centre, thus making it 90 degrees to the other 2.

Now connect the 3 male sterep EPs to these 3 connectors.

It may still be that only stereo works. In this case:

Insert a Dolby Digital (or DTS) DVD into the player and switch your TV on. Go to the setup of the player (not the menu of the movie, but the setup of the player) and you will see an option for Audio - Stereo or 5.1. Choose the 5.1 option.
By default your samsung probably assumes you do not have a 5.1 system and will connect the stereo output of the DVD to the stereo inout of your telly. It therefore downmixes the audio into stereo and passes it out, just like stool. (I was actually checking to see if you are still reading)
You must inform the player (using its setup menu) that you now desire for the 5.1 analog outputs to be active.

Good Night.

Sam.
Old 6th October 2008, 23:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ok, we have already taught the samsung that we want 5.1 output.
The glare is regretted. Sam, the sub/central is the yellow one while the green is front L/R and black is rear L/R.
If our connector mounts are ok that will look like one on top of another like the one in picture 6 and the third one like the one in picture 7. We have tried it. With all three jacks in place only the bottom one (shown in picture 6) works and powers two speakers (front or rear or the sub and central) depending upon which cord is plugged in.
Sam, the EP's that you talk of. Do we need anything else to buy to connect between the connectors and the A jacks?
Now with all this confusion among mere mortals how can you SLEEP, O LORD.
Old 6th October 2008, 23:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Ok, we have already taught the samsung that we want 5.1 output.
Sam, the EP's that you talk of. Do we need anything else to buy to connect between the connectors and the A jacks?
Now with all this confusion among mere mortals how can you SLEEP, O LORD.
No you need to buy nothing, it should work.

Are you sure you are playing a 5.1 DVD and not a music CD?
Old 7th October 2008, 00:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes my lord, we are. You see even with all the jacks connected the output comes from the connector in picture 6 only. If I keep changing the EPs into that particular connector it plays that particular 2 speakers or the sub/cent as the case maybe but not all together. Should we try to change the DVD as we are not sure the guy from whom we purchased the AL would exchange?
Old 7th October 2008, 00:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Yes my lord, we are. You see even with all the jacks connected the output comes from the connector in picture 6 only. If I keep changing the EPs into that particular connector it plays that particular 2 speakers or the sub/cent as the case maybe but not all together. Should we try to change the DVD as we are not sure the guy from whom we purchased the AL would exchange?
If you are playing a 5.1 DVD from the samsung and have switched the 5.1 sound on, you should get some audio out from all 6 rca outputs. Try another movie and make sure that in the MOVIE ka menu, you have chosen Dolby Digital 5.1 as the audio option. Some DVD discs go to 2 channel stereo by default.
Old 7th October 2008, 00:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Lord, if i play the FM would it give the output from all 5 speakers and the sub? What we want is that whatever is played music from DVD, FM, Movies, TV the output should be through from all 5 +sub. Is it possible from these Als? Or we go and buy an integrated Philips Home theater system?
Old 7th October 2008, 00:21   #9
SLK
Senior - BHPian

as far as I know... it won't work ... with any audio with 2 channel music.

but.. the altec lancing should have an option to do that.... like if u were to plug that system into a normal PC....

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th October 2008 at 00:42. Reason: See note.
Old 7th October 2008, 00:35   #10
BHPian

To be precise, these speakers will not work with your DVD player. But you can make it work with juggad which will not be worth the time and effort spent.
Old 7th October 2008, 00:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

which is the DVD player model you have ? does it support dolby pro logic or something like that ? Please let me know.
In the unfortunate event that it doesnt support any sort of upmixing stereo to surround , you can use two of these to make 6 channel stereo , ie , same sound will be heard through all speakers
Help my 5.1 speakers dont work with my DVD-cabaud3000.jpg
It is called a stereo splitter

Last edited by greenhorn : 7th October 2008 at 00:51.
Old 7th October 2008, 05:34   #12
SLK
Senior - BHPian

yup, a stereo splitter would do the trick. What about sub-woofer and centre channel though?
Suggest you read the speaker documentation to see it there are some cables included in there to use the 5.1 from a stereo source. [like in a 2.1 speaker system]
Old 7th October 2008, 09:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nothing. Plus the DVD have an RCA out and not stereo out, hence a splitter cannot be used.Only if we used a splitter after our above connectors would it work but then what about the sub and central?
Old 7th October 2008, 10:49   #14
BHPian

Did your friend buy these speakers only to be used with the DVD player, or he connects them to a computer too ?

If its only for the DVD player, then its the wrong choice as the altecs are computer speakers.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

OK, will exchange them for a TFT if the shopkeeper agrees. Then he can buy a whole home theater system to work with the integrated DVD. Lets hope the guy agrees to replace them. Thanks for all your inputs, suggestions.
Cheers.

Most Viewed