Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 02:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Budget Subwoofer(<12k) for Home theater

Hi all,
Desperately need some help here. Actually badly in need of adding a Subwoofer to my home-theater system( it's a low end Sony GNZ-8D). Have been thinking of upgrading the whole thing but currently low on finance to go for the plunge. So for the time being want to add a budget ACTIVE Subwoofer to the system. Something good in the range of less then 10k (ok, 12k maxxxx)?? Can anyone suggest me some Sub in that range? It's just an temporary arrangement for 6 more months or so.

Seems like few Onkyo's, Polk's, Sony etc are available at that price. And probably all these are either 6 inch or 8 inch speakers. Is it worth going for such small subs? I may sound idiot here but I had an impression that Subwoofer speakers need to be min 10 inch to deliver the goods, is it a correct assumption?
Listened to the polk once but wasn't much impressed. Auditioned one elac and kinda liked it but again was 19k around. So can someone please give some more pointers
Last but not the least, Heard good things about Wharfedale SW150 but it's 18k and currently out of scope for me and may be it'll be overkill for the kind of system I'm having now. Or better if I go for this now and then later when I upgrade I don't need to spend on the Sub? But it's almost double the current budget
Waiting for all the Guru's help. Please.
Old 14th October 2008, 19:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Within that budget you would mostly get 8". Jamo sub200 sells for 12ish at eZone. IMO wait awhile, save up and get the SW 150 or Mordaunt Short 309
Old 14th October 2008, 19:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shuvc, atlast some reply. I've almost lost hope that anyone would reply to this thread. Seems like all the audio gurus are not at all shifting gears ;-)..
Actually I was going through What Hi-fi and there they've mentioned the price of SW 150 as Rs. 16.5 but the dealer here in Bangalore is still qouting 18k. Probably I'll wait for few days to see the price fall down.
How much is Mordaunt Short 309 priced?
Old 14th October 2008, 19:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

I put together a sub-woofer set-up for a little less than 9K for my Onkyo home theatre receiver, a couple of years back.

Bought a Dainty 12" passive subwoofer from the local electronics market, Blaupunkt 2-channel car amplifier (which can power a sub in bridged mode), and a 12V power supply for the Blaupunkt. This set-up is definitely not compact : but the sound has to be heard to be believed !

An equivalent branded system would cost upwards of 12K, I think.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 14th October 2008 at 19:51.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

try sonodyne they have some very nice subs in that range they have a showroom in forum Sonodyne
Old 14th October 2008, 23:11   #6
BHPian

Sonodyne subs are good. I had a choice b/w polk and sonodyne (There is very little difference in sound quality b/w the two), and chose polk PSW 10 (its their entry level sub). But sonodyne is an 8 inch and polk is a 10 inch sub. Honestly, I couldnt make out much difference.
Old 14th October 2008, 23:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

check your options in second hand
Old 14th October 2008, 23:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hmm have not thought about the second hand angle, but bit worried if I get a lemon incase I go for 2nd hand.
Will take audition of Sonodyne and Wharfedale this weekend. There are few Onkyo subs also available for that price it seems.
Old 19th October 2008, 01:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Today I've auditioned Sonodyne Subs, tried Roarr 108 first but wasn't impressed that much for audio. For movie it sounded better, but seems like that was because of the receiver itself. But anyway thought I'll give it a pass. Then tried the Roarr 210 on a stereo set-up and yes, that was sounding quite nice (many times better atleast comparatively to the 108) to me and for 15k it's kind of tempting.
Used Dire straits and Eagles for the test. Will get Floyd and GnR and few others to check how it sounds for the kind of music I listen.
Would surely be trying out Wharfdales next before I take the plunge.
Old 19th October 2008, 01:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
How much is Mordaunt Short 309 priced?
Same range as the wharf. 18-19K.
EZone was selling the ELAC sub-50 at 40% disc. 25K mrp at 14ish. Saw an unsold piece here at Cal. You could ask them to check their inventory, in case they have some more lying around.
Old 19th October 2008, 02:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update Shuvc. Will check up with E-zone bangalore tomorrow.
Old 8th December 2008, 18:23   #12
BHPian

Hi Kaushik,
Did you finally manage to find one? Even I am looking for a 12K range subwoofer.
Old 11th February 2009, 10:05   #13
BHPian

Is Velodyne subwoofers available in Bangalore??
Old 11th February 2009, 11:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Today I've auditioned Sonodyne Subs, tried Roarr 108 first but wasn't impressed that much for audio. For movie it sounded better, but seems like that was because of the receiver itself. But anyway thought I'll give it a pass. Then tried the Roarr 210 on a stereo set-up and yes, that was sounding quite nice (many times better atleast comparatively to the 108) to me and for 15k it's kind of tempting.
Used Dire straits and Eagles for the test. Will get Floyd and GnR and few others to check how it sounds for the kind of music I listen.
Would surely be trying out Wharfdales next before I take the plunge.
When checking out out the sub make sure you have the following setting right.

1. The Crossover frequency setting on the AVR
(via the AVR menu)
2. The Crossover frequency setting on the Sub.
(usually via a physical knob)

Both of these have to be set at the same level for correct results.
Old 11th February 2009, 12:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
Is Velodyne subwoofers available in Bangalore??

They are... but it costs TWICE As much, if not more! The CHT12 is available for the equivalent of 20k INR in Dxb. The same thing costs 53k+ here with B&W! Subs are also monstrous to transport - weighing in over 25kgs.

I saw a JBL car audio sub the other day - in a huge 2cft custom made enclosure. Believe me it sounded damn good! The JBL driver costs some 4-5k + the enclosure - you might have something approaching audiophile quality for less than 8-10k. (this set up was in an audiophile's house - and is mated to some exotic and eclectic equipment.. so he knew what he was doing)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks