Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 11:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Buying Digital Camera from rediffshoping-Is it worth.

Guys, I'am planning to buy a SONY Digital Camera from rediffshopping.com. The camera model is Cybershot DSC H10. They are offering this product at Rs.13,745/- with one year service warranty. They are giving all the standard items like camera cover, rechargeable battery, neck band, extendable lens cover with 2GB SD card. The vendor selling this has only 3 rating two are good and one is bad.

The normal market rate is Rs.15,999 for this. There will be a considerable saving of Rs.2254 from this offer.

Can I go for this? Pls advice.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

My experience has been that there is always a dealer who will be able to match the net prices; have you tried the Sony dealers in & around your home?

In my recent search for Cameras, I compared at least three different sources & reallly didn't see more than a 2 to 3 hundred rupee difference between them.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:12   #3
BANNED

And what about the handling charges? Who bears the expenses if the product is damaged in transit?

And I did a search on shopping.rediff.com for that model. I cannot see anybody quoting 13745. All the results I get are for different figures. What is up?
Old 15th October 2008, 12:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

My experience and review strongly indicates that online sites in India can rarely match brick and mortar shops on prices. Sony World may be cheaper and non-Sony World dealers would be even more cheap.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Snaronikar,

Personally, I would prefer buying from a authorized dealer than online for such electronic gadgets. Atleast you can go back and shout at someone if something goes back.. With online, it is all thru mail and you are at their mercy if the deliver piece is damaged!!! :(

With the festive season around, I am sure even the showrooms might have some discount. Treat the different in price as a premium for the peace of mind that you might get.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:27   #6
BHPian

snaronikar,
You would be better off if you buy it in US, thats where you get the cheapest cameras. Prices in India are almost double of those in USA, so I would recommend you trying out my suggestion.

So see if somebody is returning and request that person to buy for you.

Also you can check sites like Deals2buy: Everyday hot deals and coupons and PriceGrabber.com - Comparison Shopping, Online Shopping, Product Reviews to see if there is any deal available.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Of course, US is cheaper, but the strong dollar has made it less competitive. My brother stays in UK and UK prices till early-2008 were 20-25% higher than US prices but 30% lower than Indian prices. Now perhaps UK prices are around 10% higher than US prices.
Old 15th October 2008, 13:21   #8
BHPian

If I were you, I wouldn't buy from rediff. Remember, you are not buying from rediff directly , but from a vendor of rediff. And the warranty offered is NOT manufacturer's warranty, its vendor warranty. That means if anything goes wrong, you are at the mercy of the vendor for repair or replacement. And I have not heard good things about rediff shopping.

Moreover if this is the seller, he doesn't have any reputation at all looking at his feedback numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying Digital Camera from rediffshoping-Is it worth.-new-picture.jpg  

Old 15th October 2008, 15:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Take a look at National Market (Majestic). You will get originals for the best bargain in the city. If you are lucky, you wont have issues with the product be it from showroom or from grey market. I saved Rs.10k on my canon IXY 800 IS. Now tell me where in the world you can get a deal like this ? That too getting an original Japan piece instead of going for a 'china' stuff from the showrooms.

Last edited by shajufx : 15th October 2008 at 15:03.
Old 15th October 2008, 15:10   #10
BHPian

Online buying is ok for products which are not costly. Not for something which costs 10K + .
I have too observed that prices online can be matched by shops for cameras and camcorders..
Recently after dillydallying over an ebay purchase, finally went to a shop to get a Panasonic Hybrid HD camcorder (30 GB).
Old 15th October 2008, 16:19   #11
BHPian

Did you check, if the warranty is from seller or from Sony? Read those fine or non existent prints.

As shajufx suggested, National Market prices would be more cheaper than this for sure. There are also some new such malls/shops (sukhsagar complex just ahead of national market is one expample) you can check.
You can park your car in Venkateshwara silk shop building (not sure about the building name) which is opposite to Abhinaya movie talkies in chikpet road. It is a multilevel parking place (with some tight corners and narrow driveway ramps) and walk around these shops.
Reliance world in Cunningham road also sells with pretty competetive price if you wish to buy with bill and warranty.
Old 4th November 2009, 15:40   #12
BHPian

Camera Shop in Bangalore.

Hi,

For Camera & accessories a quite famous & trusted shop's[specially for gray price] in the Bangalore are.....
  • Photo circle, Mr. Jayesh - next to chickpet police station, opp. Kashi vishveshwara temple Balepet, He deals with all brands both gray & B&W, i had good stuff & shopping experiance with him. RECOMMENDED
  • Vinod camera's, Mr. Vinod Burma Bazaar opp. thribhuvan theater, OK deals, Now a days he is very sticky about his price's.
  • Vinay Camera's - Burma Bazaar, Less talk, less price compare to other shop's in the area. i dont have any item's from him till date.
  • RK photo guide Mr. Naresh- Diagonally opposite to national market, good & guaranteed item's, but slight higher price's comapare to other's.
Lot of other shop's in the National bazaar & other shopping complex's, but Be carefull about price & the item.

Last edited by subbarao : 4th November 2009 at 15:42. Reason: Title change

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks