Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 17:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

finally PTT(push to talk) is in INDIA. share your experiences here

Push-to-talk technology allows callers to connect to other cell phones with just the push of a single button, similar to a walkie-talkie. Only one person can talk at a time, and there is no need to dial a number

Tata initially ordered 300,000 push-to-talk phones, one of Kyocera's largest orders yet for such a handset. Kyocera also supplies U.S. cell phone service provider Alltel in the United States

PTT service available across India
PTT service available on Kyocera KX 440 colour data-enabled handset
Introduces host of never before features: group talk, Brew applications
PTT service is available for post-paid customers and will be introduced shortly for True Paid customers
PTT is first in world to partner with QUALCOMM for BREWChat based Push-To-Talk solution

Benefits of Push-To-Talk
Instant connectivityPush-To-Talk instantly connects with co-workers, family and friends within seconds at the push of a button. Group talkCalls can be one-to-one or one-to-many group calls. Other parties in the call can take their turn by just pushing the PTT button. Convenient Frequent, repetitive communication is not necessary any more. Easy to useJust push a button and speak with a group of users simultaneously. Real time user availability statusDisplay will indicate if others in the user group are available or not. This will help the users to see whether the recipient(s) is / are available before initiating the call. PTT alertsTo ensure privacy and mobile etiquette, one can even send a PTT alert to the recipient before establishing a PTT call. Enables multi-taskingRecipients need not ‘answer’ the call, thus can attend to other tasks while listening to the group chat. Ideal in business applications like taxi services, hospitals, utilities, etc. Time savings PTT helps spend less time talking and more time taking care of business since it facilitates group calling.SecurityPTT calls runs over a secured network, a customer gets an incredibly clear secure link between a communicator and listener. Push-To-Talk allows corporates to establish a digitally secured communications for group calling to manage their business and share confidential information.

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 15th October 2008 at 17:53.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Didn't vodafone,etc have PTT for a while now?

I hope this format doesn't pick up in India, although it has its fair share of benifits, its downright Annoying!
Americans used to be hooked on to this, especially when i was in college walking around campus people buzz each other blaring voices,etc not a pleasant sound.

Last edited by Sahil : 15th October 2008 at 18:14.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

PTT is a product that operators hoped would be a key marketing proposition, but its one that hasnt taken off in a vast majority of the markets it was introduced in. To most telecom chaps, this is a failed product.

Would make a lot of sense in a community such as TBHP - if only they could integrate it with the Web!

Still, it is nothing more than an elaborate version of the Closed User Group.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:51   #4
BHPian

As i remember, PTT was introduced earlier by Hutch & Tata Tele and subsequently was asked to take down the service by the regulator as it did not comply with the licensing norms
Old 15th October 2008, 20:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

It was introduced around 2 / 3 years back by Hutch.

It needed both the parties to have this feature to be able to use it.
Old 16th October 2008, 08:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Did it fail because they didn't advertise it well? I remember hearing the announcements about this feature going live a few years ago, but nothing after that. This thing can be useful for me if it catches on.
Old 16th October 2008, 11:50   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Is this similar to a combination phone + walkie talkie? I used to manage a lot of events in Boston and used a similar device to co-ordinate with my team members. It was so convenient to be able to talk to everyone at just the push of a button. Was free too (walkie talkie!), don't know if hutch etc. are charging for it.
Old 16th October 2008, 11:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Think of it like a direct line to your wife/gf/best friend etc. A friend of mine back in business school had a pair between him/his fiance. When the matter became subjudice, they waved contract provisions (some 2 years they'd signed i think), and as a result, tata used to bill them 1.x lakh bills monthly, with only 2-3k payable.

But today, with companies having 10p CUG calling/free CUG calling (it led to two marriages cheaply in my previous firm ) - this isn't needed much;.
Old 14th March 2010, 18:24   #9
BHPian

We called up Airtel today & they advised PTT is still not available in India on any of the service providers. Need your help to know wether some one has been using this.
Old 21st March 2010, 10:40   #10
BANNED

Which operator currently provides PTT ?
Old 29th March 2010, 14:56   #11
BHPian

None of the operators are providing this as DoT has stomped its foot down saying that it has not allowed any telco to provide service and has thus banned the operators of providing this service till DoT approves and has heavily challaned Hutch for providing this services in past without approvals from DoT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks