Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2008, 16:20   #1
BHPian

Blu ray discs / regions / all-in-one blu ray disc player

Hi guys

Have a couple of queries I'd like to post here:

(1) I just wanted to know - just like we have players such as Pioneer DV 610 which would play almost any format - DivX, DivX Ultra, WMV, WMA, MP3, DVD, JPG, etc, is there any blu ray disc player now which can play of the above in addition to blu ray discs ? If so, which brand / model is it, is it available in India and how much would it cost ?

(2) What about regions on blu ray discs - I found from the internet that for blu ray discs the world has been divided into 3 regions, where North America is in Region 1, UK is in Region 2 and India, Russia etc in Region 3. So even if I get a Sony PS3 today or for that matter any blu ray disc player, I wouldn't be able to play discs from other regions right ? What about DVD regions on these blu ray disc players ? Would these BD players at least be region-free for DVDs ?

(3) If the BD players available now are confined to the regions in which they are sold (ie our blu ray players would play only Region 3 discs), is there a workaround for this like remote control hack codes etc ? There are some companies on the internet which claim to do hardware modification to these players and then sell them for higher than the retail prices.
These companies are mainly in the US and UK.

Would look forward to your replies on the above folks !!

Warm regards,
Venkat

Last edited by VSG12777 : 10th November 2008 at 16:22. Reason: Removed the HTML tags since it was pasted from a different application
Old 10th November 2008, 18:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
(1) I just wanted to know - just like we have players such as Pioneer DV 610 which would play almost any format - DivX, DivX Ultra, WMV, WMA, MP3, DVD, JPG, etc, is there any blu ray disc player now which can play of the above in addition to blu ray discs ? If so, which brand / model is it, is it available in India and how much would it cost ?

My answers are limited to my knowledge of Sony and the PS3. Apart from the PS3, Sony has two other standalone Blu-Ray players. One costs approx. 35k and the other 50k. I have no idea if they can play all the formats you've mentioned but Im sure an Internet search will reveal that. The PS3 is the cheapest way to get a Sony Blu-Ray player.

(2) What about regions on blu ray discs - I found from the internet that for blu ray discs the world has been divided into 3 regions, where North America is in Region 1, UK is in Region 2 and India, Russia etc in Region 3. So even if I get a Sony PS3 today or for that matter any blu ray disc player, I wouldn't be able to play discs from other regions right ? What about DVD regions on these blu ray disc players ? Would these BD players at least be region-free for DVDs ?

My PS3, bought in India, is region 3 for blu-rays and region 5 for DVDs. I've played region 5 and no region DVDs on it without a problem. I haven't tried DVD's from other regions. I would assume it won't play them (I can check) from what I've read on the Internet. As far as blu-ray discs are concerned, it won't play discs outside it's region and there are no hacks for the PS3 AFAIK. You'd have to buy the BDs locally. However, a lot of titles sold abroad are region free even though they say region 1 or 2 on the cover. You can find lists of such titles on the Internet.

(3) If the BD players available now are confined to the regions in which they are sold (ie our blu ray players would play only Region 3 discs), is there a workaround for this like remote control hack codes etc ? There are some companies on the internet which claim to do hardware modification to these players and then sell them for higher than the retail prices.
These companies are mainly in the US and UK.
I don't know about the standalone players but as I've said in response to question 2, the PS3 hasn't been hacked AFAIK.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th November 2008 at 23:37. Reason: Quoted post edited. All BOLD removed.
Old 10th November 2008, 19:08   #3
BHPian

multi-region Blu-ray players are beginning to pop up on a few overseas websites. We're seeing a region hacked Samsung BD-P1400 and Sony BDP-S300 / BDP-S500, each of which are reportedly modified to play nice with BD regions A / B as well as DVD regions 1 / 2. Aside from that, each player looks to be unchanged, but you better believe the convenience won't run you cheap.a multi-region BDP-S300 will demand €599 ($878), while the modded BDP-S500 rings up at €899 ($1,318), and until someone bites the bullet and confirms that these things actually do what they claim to.it's not a just software upgrade it will require mod chip and soldering.

for a ps3 bought in India(region 3) you can purchase all region bluray(A,B,C) form usa they are pretty cheap.

Last edited by BAKIYA_2K12 : 10th November 2008 at 19:16.
Old 13th November 2008, 14:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Hi guys

Have a couple of queries I'd like to post here:

Answer - PlayStation.com Knowledge CenterSee this site. Keep in mind that this is for US PS3. Except for DVD region and NTSC stuff, rest of the things should work ok.
Old 29th May 2014, 13:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blu ray discs / regions / all-in-one blu ray disc player

Reviving very old thread. I need help here. Received a few DVDs ( Region 1) /Blu Ray ( Region A) discs from US which just refuse to play on my Sony BD player. Is there any way to get around it? I am even willing to buy a new BD player (any brand) if it plays all-region discs. Any such BD player available in Indian market? Anyone in the know? Please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks