Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2005, 10:20   #1
BANNED

The PSP

The greatest gadget ever! I saw one last weekend, its next on my list of gadgets to buy. Plays UMDs, MP3, videos, and best of all ultimate gaming machine. Superb response time, and realistic graphics. Its like holding a plasma screen on your hand.

I have never seen better reviews of any product till today. PSP is the gagdet for the young at heart. Check it out!
-Prasadee
Old 8th April 2005, 14:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend got one but a nokia N gage is still my preffered choice as i can make calls.
Anyone heard about the nokia ngage i with a camera?
Old 8th April 2005, 15:08   #3
BHPian

The PSP is much better than the N-Gage. There are some defects in the current batch of Japanese versions available but it still is amazing.
Old 8th April 2005, 15:24   #4
BHPian

Hey.. i have a PSP with me right now. Its amazing. The screen is just fantastic. And its got graphics that are close to a PS2. Pretty good for a handheld huh? Also have a nintendo DS. Thats a pretty good machine too. Graphics cannot be compared to the PSP as the DS is closer to a Nintendo 64. But the DS does have a touchscreen and stuff which makes some games quite good fun.

But the PSP is quite expensive right now. 250$ for the value pack and games are close to 40$ each. And i dont know if we will be getting any pirated games anytime soon since i think the UMD format is gonna be produced by Sony exclusively.

And without piracy its quite hard to pay that much for a single game. anyways...
Old 8th April 2005, 16:29   #5
BHPian

Rocking stuff anush....Have a host of questions and thought i'd bounce them off you....Could you share any info on the web browsing capabilities of the PSP? Also, in the absence of a stylus is it easy to navigate other menus etc...
What about issues pertaining to the discs it uses? Can you sync stuff easily with your PC...how is this done....IR or bluetooth? What is the storage capacity? Does it read MMC cards etc....

damn thats a wagon load of questions....

last...but not least....what games are you playing on it? any EA racing games?
Old 8th April 2005, 16:46   #6
BHPian

Well, havent really tried any web browsing on the PSP so cant say anything about that. I dont think that it is possible on the PSP right now. But they are supposed to release a patch for that. Of course that is again possible only near a wifi hotspot.

And the menus are not that complex, so navigating them with the directional buttons itself will do.

The disks are a proprietory UMD format, so you can use disks only made for the PSP.

Syncing stuff with the PC is quite simple. No support for MMC cards , only the the Sony memory stick. transferring data is done through a USB cable. No bluetooth/IR support here.
Old 8th April 2005, 17:21   #7
BHPian

thanks anush....it is supposed to be browsing compliant....read that on cnet...maybe you can test that out at your neighbourhood barista,...(supposedly wi-fi et al...thought the koramangala outlet has had the sign for 2 months without getting the router)

how exp are the sony memory sticks? what about sound quality? what earphone jack is used?

its a bit of a piss off that i won't be able to transfer stuff from my t610 out....with a piddly 2mb of storage it doesnt allow for enough without constantly tranfering to the PC....what games have you got?
Old 8th April 2005, 17:35   #8
BHPian

i saw a couple of devices in palika bazar and was not at all amazed at the quality level implemented by sony. only sony could have produced a device like that....ridge racers was awesome on that machine.
Old 8th April 2005, 18:18   #9
BHPian

Well... i think i should probably go to one of the hotspots just to try out the browsing on this. Probably wont be anything spectacular anyways.

Also i think the Memory sticks are more expensive than the regular MMCs. dont know the exact prices though.

Games i have are NFS underground rivals, Untold Legends:Brotherhood of the blade and Metal Gear Acid.
Old 9th April 2005, 01:14   #10
BANNED

Anush,
The first million sold in the US were shipped with the movie Spiderman 2. Were you one of the lucky ones?
-Prasadee
Old 9th April 2005, 11:49   #11
BHPian

The PSP currently does not have browsing capabilities. It does have 802.11b WiFi which can be used to access updates etc. for games and the like. Currently though you can browse through a game called Wipeout Pure which has an inbuilt browser. The sound quality isn't at all good. It has an extremely low level sound which you can hardly hear even with good quality headphones.
Old 11th April 2005, 16:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee
The first million sold in the US were shipped with the movie Spiderman 2. Were you one of the lucky ones?
Yeah.. I have the Spiderman2 UMD too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaper
The PSP currently does not have browsing capabilities.Currently though you can browse through a game called Wipeout Pure which has an inbuilt browser
Yes.. just checked this weekend, and it doesnt have a web browser although they are supposed to release a patch sometime soon. Also dont have wipeout Pure.. so cant use that to browse. Apparantly even that has a lot of limitations.. no frames, no cookies, no large images etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaper
The sound quality isn't at all good
Actually the sound quality is excellent. I think you probably heard it with the sound turned down completely thats why. I was watching Spiderman2 with the headphones that came free with the PSP and it sounded really good to me.
Old 16th April 2005, 20:09   #13

Quote:
Actually the sound quality is excellent. I think you probably heard it with the sound turned down completely thats why. I was watching Spiderman2 with the headphones that came free with the PSP and it sounded really good to me.
Yes thats absolutely true, not just the movies but MP3 and Game Sound / Music is Top Notch. Even though the Headphones in the Value Pack are crappy (quality wise), the sound generated by them is brilliant, and thats the power of PSP.

The Standard Memory Stick Duo that comes with the Value Pack is 32MB which is more than enough for Game Related data (saving games and replays and stuff). But if you want to put movies, music etc etc, upto 1GB Memory Sticks Duos are available in the market (2GB coming out soon), all though they're too expensive at the moment. Transfering Data could also be done thru WiFi also, if your PC / Mac is WiFi enabled. And also Multiplayer Gaming, which was amazing (when I played NFS:U Rivals) against 2 other players. Absolutely NO Latency whatsoever. This thing is crazy, expensive (games not the handheld), but crazy.
Old 16th April 2005, 22:55   #14
BANNED

the psp is a great gadget though the downpart is the UMD factor when i was in bangkok for the launch each UMD costed around 3000 each plus there are no games at the moment for it. its pricey here as well. my best bet. get a ps2 slim modded since its only for around 10k here now
Old 16th April 2005, 23:13   #15

Well, there are plenty of games at the moment on it. And the whole point of PSP is the protable factor, as the name says Play Station Portable. So you really cant substitute a PS2 for this. Atleast for someone like me who has to travel a lot. Although till now I used to carry my PS2 most of the places I went, but that was too inconvinient and the best part with this now would be I can play MY Favourite games like Metal Gear and GT4 on the MOVE! (with the US PSPs Battery life being more than 5 hours on the go and hardly 30 mins to recharge, it will overcome the fact that the games are around 40USD. )
Simple would be to have a PSP and get selected games on it. I already have converted 1/4th of my DVD collection into MP4 Format. All my South Park, Smallville and Scrubs episode too, so I can watch them while travelling, or well just to "show off" :P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks