Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 15:30   #1
BHPian

advice for shopping in Hong Kong

Will be going to HongKong and China for a few days next week. I want to get some electronics - maybe a Digital SLR (Nikon D40), an LCD or Plasma 42" TV, and some crockery from China. Are prices in HK significantly lower than India?

Any inputs, suggestions, warnings, recommendations, everything welcome.
Old 5th January 2009, 18:51   #2
BHPian

Hong Kong is a great place to shop for electronics. prices are significantly lower than the organised market in India and you will get good bargains there and deals. Check out Canon EOS and the Alfa range from Sony - good deals on them when i went in Oct. I was in Causway, but the city was full of shopping malls where you can pick up stuff.

China is crazy - you will be amazed at how real the fake stuff looks - so be careful.

Bargain as much as 70-80% of what they quote on crockery and even electronics, would suggest you keep the electronic shopping for HK.

Language is a big problem in China.
Old 5th January 2009, 18:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Any LCD TV thats over 26" is apparently being dutied here. Just a headsup .
Old 15th February 2009, 00:45   #4
BANNED

Any more tips for shopping in HK guys.. I am planning to go in 1st week of March..
Old 15th February 2009, 02:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Will be going to HongKong and China for a few days next week. I want to get some electronics - maybe a Digital SLR (Nikon D40), an LCD or Plasma 42" TV, and some crockery from China. Are prices in HK significantly lower than India?

Any inputs, suggestions, warnings, recommendations, everything welcome.
If you land at Mumbai its easy, (read between the words) If you land at Delhi,
Jugaad kar liyo.

42" inch screen LCD wont go unnoticed by any one.

Oh ! Am I presuming a lot ?

Cheers
M M
Old 15th February 2009, 15:19   #6
BANNED

Any suggestions on DSLRs?
Old 17th February 2009, 10:15   #7
BHPian

I went to Shenzen and HK last month. After an exhausting week, I am firmly of the opinion that prices in India are fairly comparable for almost anything, ranging from clothes to cameras and electronics. At Shenzen one has to bargain prices for the smallest thing, so that from a quoted 100 Rnb you will finally get it for 35 Rnb. The whole process is very tiring, and after two or three purchases you soon realize it's not worth the trouble. When I came back to Mumbai, I found clothes at the same prices, and without the hassle of haggling, since there were sales at most of the big malls.
Camera prices at JJmehta.com are perhaps five per cent higher than in Hong Kong, and again, I found it not worth the trouble to buy there. The only thing one can pick up is exquisite Chinese crockery and figurines, but again heavy bargaining almost takes the charm off the shopping.

Last edited by filcord : 17th February 2009 at 10:16.
Old 17th February 2009, 10:47   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I went to Shenzen and HK last month. After an exhausting week, I am firmly of the opinion that prices in India are fairly comparable for almost anything, ranging from clothes to cameras and electronics. At Shenzen one has to bargain prices for the smallest thing, so that from a quoted 100 Rnb you will finally get it for 35 Rnb. The whole process is very tiring, and after two or three purchases you soon realize it's not worth the trouble. When I came back to Mumbai, I found clothes at the same prices, and without the hassle of haggling, since there were sales at most of the big malls.
Camera prices at JJmehta.com are perhaps five per cent higher than in Hong Kong, and again, I found it not worth the trouble to buy there. The only thing one can pick up is exquisite Chinese crockery and figurines, but again heavy bargaining almost takes the charm off the shopping.
Hey thanks for the info.. amd Bargaining!!! my dad loves it.. typical delhite :P !! hope he will have a good time there!!!
Old 17th February 2009, 10:56   #9
BHPian

I went to HK in Oct, and found the prices of various items - be it electronics, apparel, toys, perfumes, cosmetics etc - were comparable to the prices in India.

Anyways, IMO, in HK, Mongkok market in Kowloon is the best place to buy electronics. Lots of shops. Good deals. Open till late in the night. And is connected by MRT to other parts of the city.
Old 17th February 2009, 11:05   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I went to HK in Oct, and found the prices of various items - be it electronics, apparel, toys, perfumes, cosmetics etc - were comparable to the prices in India.

Anyways, IMO, in HK, Mongkok market in Kowloon is the best place to buy electronics. Lots of shops. Good deals. Open till late in the night. And is connected by MRT to other parts of the city.
Points noted.. thanks.. apart from shopping what are the places that are "Must Visit". I have plans of going to Macau too. How's the palce? Any suggestions on Hotels too? Both in HK and Macau.

Last edited by zerocritical : 17th February 2009 at 11:06.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:44   #11
BHPian

What is the best way to exchange INR into HK$?

Do we exchange INR to USD here and exchange USD to HK$ there? or do we directly do INR to HK$ here?

My mom is traveling to HK for a couple of days and she will not be able to hunt around for exchanging USD to HK$ there. Are exchange services available at the HK airport? Or should she go somewhere out and exchange it? She needs to take a taxi to the hotel, so she needs HK$ at the airport itself to pay the taxi guy, unless the taxi guy accepts USD.

Please suggest the best and easiest way out. Im really confused, it seems quite tough to source HK$ here and the exchange guys here recommend carrying USD and doing the exchange there.

Advice is much appreciated as she is travelling in less than a week.
Old 14th May 2009, 16:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
What is the best way to exchange INR into HK$?

Do we exchange INR to USD here and exchange USD to HK$ there? or do we directly do INR to HK$ here?

My mom is traveling to HK for a couple of days and she will not be able to hunt around for exchanging USD to HK$ there.
Carrying INR and trying to buy HK$ is a lossy proposition.
  • Not many official exchanges accept INR.
  • Those that do, offer a ridiculous rate.
  • Indian businessmen in Hong Kong accept Indian money for exchange, but many make a fuss for 500 rupee notes and such.
The best is to buy USD or Euro from India and carry it to HK. Your mama will be able to find currency exchange booths everywhere, shopping areas, commercial areas, banks and also at the Airport. The rates will be clearly displayed.
Old 14th May 2009, 16:30   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Carrying INR and trying to buy HK$ is a lossy proposition.
  • Indian businessmen in Hong Kong accept Indian money for exchange, but many make a fuss for 500 rupee notes and such.
The best is to buy USD or Euro from India and carry it to HK. Your mama will be able to find currency exchange booths everywhere, shopping areas, commercial areas, banks and also at the Airport. The rates will be clearly displayed.

USDs can be converted to HK$ easily as many Money Exchange booths are available in almost all the places.

In an emergency, if you need to exchange INR to HK$, best place at Hong Kong would be TSIM TSHA SUI, Nathan road, Kowloon. Thats the place for Indian market there and even shopkeepers accept INRs.

Quote:
[*]Not many official exchanges accept INR.
About this, I have seen almost all Money Exchange booths accept INR but works out a bit expensive..

Last edited by zerocritical : 14th May 2009 at 16:34.
Old 14th May 2009, 16:35   #14
BHPian

Thanks a on for the quick response Sam and Zerocritical. So she will carry USD and change it to HK$ as and when it is required.
Old 14th May 2009, 17:31   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm. Even in recession the USD still rules. Is it not the case for majority countries that you buy the USD and then transfer to local currency?

I see this transfer also as a lose proposition if your buying the dollar if it's at a peak. And, then change to local currency where they keep a cut for change. So essentially 2 cuts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks