Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 12:59   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
@akroy: out of 6 companies that i worked for, i found Satyam work culture to be the worst!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo
So you had a good experience. That means the work culture is not consistent across locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy
Out of the 3 companies I worked for, I found Satyam work culture the best atleast in my circle for sure.
daibloo, this kind of mixed reactions are bound to happen if you work for a big organization. Some are satisfied and some are not, thats how it goes and it is not restricted to satyam only. It is in all big sized organizations.

My Qs is not to generalize the statement at organization level. Satisfaction depends on lot of parameters and not all employees are satisfied at the same time.

Abhi
Old 14th January 2009, 13:12   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Oh is it? Which Circle/SubCircle in Satyam do you work for?

Out of the 3 companies I worked for, I found Satyam work culture the best atleast in my circle for sure.

Abhi
+1 to that.

Diabloo,

Do you work for satyam? If not please refrain from commenting on the work culture based on mail forwards and texts from the net.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:33   #348
BANNED

Ramalinga Raju's con job may have began in 1983 !!

More skeletons are tumbling out of B Ramalinga Raju's cupboard. While reviewing the dealings of the various companies floated by Raju with the state government, officials stumbled on to the fact that Satyam Computers is not the first company that he defrauded.

Over 25 years ago, Raju had gypped the Andhra Pradesh Industrial Development Corporation (APIDC) of Rs 52 lakh, which in those days used to be a more substantial amount.

This strengthens prosecution's case and could effectively argue that Ramalinga Raju has a history of bad corporate governance and that the Satyam computers episode is not an aberration.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:45   #349
Senior - BHPian

A Rs 7000-crore scam perpetrated over several years cannot be an aberration - whether he has a history of cheating others or not. It's not like an accident that just happened one fine morning. It was a conscious and deliberate cheating on a massive scale, unheard of and unbelievable to most of us. There are so many zeros after seven that we normal citizens can't really understand its full implication.

Frankly to most of us there is hardly any difference between Rs 700 crore and Rs 7000 crore. Both are equally unimaginable to us, in tangible terms.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:56   #350
BANNED

Now PwC are trying to wash their hands off stating that they just rubber stamped whatever the management gave them. They have been auditors since 2000!

What are auditors for?

Last edited by sgiitk : 14th January 2009 at 13:56. Reason: Typo
Old 14th January 2009, 14:23   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now PwC are trying to wash their hands off stating that they just rubber stamped whatever the management gave them. They have been auditors since 2000!
What are auditors for?
Nothing will happen to PWC. One of their top men is Jayanti Natarajan's brother. And everyone knows Jayanti Natarajan's connections and links.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:02   #352
Senior - BHPian

The reason why Infy decided not to pick Satyam clients or employees...
"
Q: It is a difficult environment right now as Kris was just detailing today. Do you think this puts more pressure on Indian outsourcing or do you think it will work the other way and some of the other clients might actually benefit because of Satyam’s failure?

A: We have all sat down and discussed and we said, we should do nothing that will damage Satyam. After all there are 53,000 innocent employees. They are smart. They are competent. They have satisfied clients, so other companies should not take a vulture like attitude. So we said we will not proactively go to any client. However if a client decides to do that then we will go through our due diligence and we will ensure that we will do whatever is required by the client in the most ethical manner. But we will not approach any client proactively – that is for certain. -NRN"

Saw conflict of interest as Satyam member: Narayan Murthy
Old 14th January 2009, 17:30   #353
Senior - BHPian

heh heh, I smell damage control by NRN. after his last statement provoked a virtual outburst from satyam employees , staining his otherwise saintly image, i guess he had to say something to win back their favour
Old 15th January 2009, 11:55   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That is going too far: even the nastiest, filthiest, most ruthless and violent criminal is entitled to be represented by a professional lawyer in the court. ... If one holds it against the lawyer for taking the job, then that is interfering with the workings of justice and democracy.
Admirable sentiments. Do you still think that the auditors should be shot?
Old 15th January 2009, 11:57   #355
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Nothing will happen to PWC. One of their top men is Jayanti Natarajan's brother. And everyone knows Jayanti Natarajan's connections and links.
Nothing will happen to PwC in India. Remember the rest of IT is watching. In our company we already see people making noises against PwC. What Andersen was for Enron, PwC is for Satyam.
Old 15th January 2009, 13:10   #356
BANNED

Looks like Raju & Ap Govt's smart move paid off:

Ramalinga Raju's hasty arrest stalled probe: SEBI

"Pradyumana Kumar Reddy, lawyer of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), on Wednesday stirred a hornet's nest by saying that the judicial custody of disgraced Satyam Computer promoter B Ramalinga Raju was delaying the market regulator's probe into the case.
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
"By surrendering before the police, Ramalinga Raju has purchased the liberty from facing billion-dollar questions that were to be answered, from various other quarters. In a way the government has saved him from Sebi and also from extradition to the US."
Old 15th January 2009, 13:30   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
@akroy: out of 6 companies that i worked for, i found Satyam work culture to be the worst!
But then do not you work for Infy?

And by the way if you at all have any exposure to Satyam I presume it is through HCU Infrastructure Mgmt only. Now it may not really be a very good idea to make such a general cover-it-all type of statement based on such a small experience. Its possible to find people in every organization who find the culture, boss et al. as absolutely lousy. That does not really proves anything.

By the way how long back were you in Satyam, if at all?
Old 15th January 2009, 13:49   #358
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I have known people from long who are at Satyam(they still are!). I have never found even one of them to be representing a bad/horrible 'work culture' like somebody commented.
I also believe that 'work culture' or environment is built by us and not by one or two poeple sitting above!!
Old 15th January 2009, 13:49   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
daibloo, this kind of mixed reactions are bound to happen if you work for a big organization. Some are satisfied and some are not, thats how it goes and it is not restricted to satyam only. It is in all big sized organizations.

My Qs is not to generalize the statement at organization level. Satisfaction depends on lot of parameters and not all employees are satisfied at the same time.
Abhi
Well stated, Abhi. +1 to your observation.
It's a fact that in very large organizations, some employees may have bad experiences, be it because of their managers, or whatever. But the observations of such people may not hold water across the organization. I personally know a guy who worked there for 6 years and left becuase he did not pull along well with his new boss.

That said, I've met many people from Satyam and found them to be top class in quality. Many IIM graduates are also in Satyam.
As regards work culture, most IT companies that have liberal work culture find people bunking work and going to movies. Generally those are persons on the bench.But most of such persons rise to the occasion when there is work pressure. They are also loyal to the company and would never like to work in a company that monitors them strictly, even when there is no work.
Therefore it is I.T. industry specific culture, and blaming Satyam alone is not fair. Those are my 2 cents.
Old 15th January 2009, 18:42   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
... even the nastiest, filthiest, most ruthless and violent criminal is entitled to be represented by a professional lawyer in the court.
Admirable sentiments. Do you still think that the auditors should be shot?
After being given a fair trial.

Seriously, this is a tricky one. We do not know, yet, who did what within the company, and who is guilty of what (considering the possibility that Raju's letter might be a smoke screen to hide something entirely different). It might even take months (years?) of investigation to find out.

We do know that, whatever happened, large sums of money were involved (at least I think we know that) and that auditors should have protected the shareholders of the company as well as its customers and employees by doing a proper audit and verifying numbers given to them by management.

The schemes, scams and losses in USA and UK have shown the accountancy companies that they cannot get away with cosy, mutual-back-scratching, rubber-stamping relationships with their clients, or at least they should have learnt that. They may think that that doesn't count in India. It should count in India.

So, yes, I'd take them out and shoot them!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 15th January 2009 at 18:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks