Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 19:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Now CIRCUIT CITY goes bust!

Now the second largest US electronic retailer - Circuit City - has announced the closure of all its 576 stores. MOst of its 34,000 employees are being laid off.

They are putting all their merchandise on sale from today.. .till they permanently close shop by end March. Might be a good time to get great bargains.

Very sad though!

Source: Second largest US electronic retailer goes bust - National News – News – MSN India - News
Old 17th January 2009, 19:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

yup, saw that yesterday. still tough times ahead IMO.
Old 17th January 2009, 22:14   #3
BHPian

Yes its very sad, its downturn started in 2006/2007 when they replaced good staff with new ones so that they can save on salaries. by the way i went to circuit city store yesterday night to see what's going on. its packed and the thing i found worth buying for me is a samsung 22 inch hdtv for 200 bucks and i bought it to replace my 15 inch dorm tv
Old 17th January 2009, 22:23   #4
BHPian

Nows the best time to Shop i guess at Circuit City
Old 17th January 2009, 22:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

I thought that we will be coming out of this recession soon, but it looks like we are further going in. I seriously hope that we do not enter recession for long like the world entered in 1929.

Further, my graduation is about to get over by August, so I am seriously worried about what to do next.
Old 17th January 2009, 22:48   #6
BHPian

aaggoswami - Take up Auto Journalism. LOL
Old 17th January 2009, 23:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Man, thats sad. I have been a frequent shopper at Circuit City the last two years when I was in the US. Looks like the recession is not ready to spare anyone.
Old 17th January 2009, 23:57   #8
BHPian

Well...it is just a store...geeez..big deal

Circuit City carried boat load of crap in their inventory - as if their only target market was Howdy Tom who buys Wide Screen Compaq Computer (larger the better), a SONY music player with 10000W PMPO Crap (larger the better), and a Canon Powershot with a 12 megapixel (larger the better).

They forgot the niche market, that demand Lower Pixel Density Cameras for better image and less noise, that demand Sound Clarity in favor of Higher Wattage, and a real MP3 player that is something other than an iPOD. (Anything But iPod - MP3 Player Reviews & News)

Good Riddance.

It is the same company that fired thousands of its own employees a few years ago because as they got promoted they were earning "too" much - and this was not acceptable to CC. Circuit City's plan to fire 3,400 will have ripple effects - USATODAY.com

Our Indian e-Zone retailer is doing pretty well, if not great, as it is built on modest Indian values, and not show-off huu haa way of life. For geeks, there is always SP road in BLR, and Nehru place in Delhi :-)
Old 18th January 2009, 00:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
........a SONY music player with 10000W PMPO Crap (larger the better), and a Canon Powershot with a 12 megapixel (larger the better)..................

Hey that is Exactly what describes me!!

I just wonder when recesion is really going to hit Indian Brands. Once something Major that was indian suddenly decides to shut shop, That is the day we are going to be in deep trouble. As of now though, we seem to be in a very good state of affairs!!
Old 18th January 2009, 02:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Tragic for the employees, since its going to be so much tougher getting jobs in such a bad market. Hope they manage to find alternative employment soon.

Used to get some real good deals there, and although I've never been to their store myself, got a lot of stuff from there through friends.
Old 18th January 2009, 04:25   #11
BHPian

CC has been in bad books for quite sometime now, there were discussions about a possible take-over but they all failed. Infact the distributors to whom CC owe money were actively helping CC to find a buyer.

I am not sure if the distributors agreed to take the stock back.
Old 18th January 2009, 04:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Well...it is just a store...geeez..big deal

Circuit City carried boat load of crap in their inventory - as if their only target market was Howdy Tom who buys Wide Screen Compaq Computer (larger the better), a SONY music player with 10000W PMPO Crap (larger the better), and a Canon Powershot with a 12 megapixel (larger the better).

They forgot the niche market, that demand Lower Pixel Density Cameras for better image and less noise, that demand Sound Clarity in favor of Higher Wattage, and a real MP3 player that is something other than an iPOD. (Anything But iPod - MP3 Player Reviews & News)

Good Riddance.

It is the same company that fired thousands of its own employees a few years ago because as they got promoted they were earning "too" much - and this was not acceptable to CC. Circuit City's plan to fire 3,400 will have ripple effects - USATODAY.com

Our Indian e-Zone retailer is doing pretty well, if not great, as it is built on modest Indian values, and not show-off huu haa way of life. For geeks, there is always SP road in BLR, and Nehru place in Delhi :-)
it's not just a store, it's 500+ stores and 30,000+ employees.

niche market? 500 stores can not be catering to niche market. look for niche stores if you need your stuff.

not sure what's making you post this, it may have made some bad decisions, but having another store fall in the series can not be termed good riddance. You need to be looking at how the market is collapsing and how it's going to ripple thru the world's economy. nothing to be happy about.
Old 18th January 2009, 05:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post

I just wonder when recesion is really going to hit Indian Brands. Once something Major that was indian suddenly decides to shut shop, That is the day we are going to be in deep trouble. As of now though, we seem to be in a very good state of affairs!!
you should be asking IBM India employees.

Circuit City awards $775M IT outsourcing contract to IBM
Old 18th January 2009, 07:45   #14
knp
BHPian

sad to see this, 60 year old one getting closed, CC used to be my weekend destination...
you can find more details about this closure at CC site
Old 18th January 2009, 08:52   #15
BHPian

CC never attracted me with its wares. However I hope the market leader Best Buy will survive this downturn. They have a much better business model and quite efficient retailing mechanism. Not sure about the other ones such as Frys, Radio shack, Comp-USA etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks