Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 13:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Best way to print RAW images from camera?

Just wondering what people do to take advantage of the RAW formats as compared to JPEG as far as printing is concerned. Let us say A4 size prints. I tried to take the TIFF format (exported from RAW) to the printers but their computer is too slow to process TIFF files and they told me they will convert to JPEG and print.

Another related question: Which is the best photo printing place in Bangalore, in terms of the print quality? Say for upto A4 size category and for large poster category.
Old 29th January 2009, 14:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Another related question: Which is the best photo printing place in Bangalore, in terms of the print quality? Say for upto A4 size category and for large poster category.
Why don't you try zoomin or snapfish?
Old 29th January 2009, 14:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
My vote goes to GK vale. Very professional
Old 29th January 2009, 14:23   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Just wondering what people do to take advantage of the RAW formats as compared to JPEG as far as printing is concerned. Let us say A4 size prints. I tried to take the TIFF format (exported from RAW) to the printers but their computer is too slow to process TIFF files and they told me they will convert to JPEG and print.
My own experience over 5+ years is that with compression set optimally for quality rather than size (most people do not switch their cameras to the highest quality mode) it is virtually impossible to detect the loss of quality due to compression. What I do is to keep my camera in the highest quality JPEG mode. Today memory is so cheap that you can buy 2 or 4GB dirt cheap.

Look at it another way, 3MPixels is all you need for best quality A4 prints!
Old 19th November 2009, 19:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Help!

Thought of asking this in the DSLR thread but think this is more appropriate.

I am using a Canon EOS 1000D with the kit lens - 18-55mm and am shooting at the highest possible resolution. It gives me a size of 3888 x 2592. When I give it for printing at the highest possible resolution at zoomin.com, it says that the "optimum" size for this resolution is 12" X 8". And Scantips also says that "3888x2592 pixels will print 12.00 x 8.00 inches (304.8 x 203.2 mm) at a MAXIMUM of 324 pixels per inch (128 pixels per cm) (Maximum meaning any cropping lowers printing resolution)". But this is at 324 ppi. I read on other places that 300 ppi will give very good prints for photographs. But how will this affect for larger prints? I am planning to print at larger sizes but not sure on how to bypass this problem of the resolution. Will shooting in RAW help? And moreover, when I have shot at this resolution, when I crop the image, I will get smaller images for printing - or I will have to lose out on the ppi - am I correct?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bump!

Bump!

Sorry, but can anyone help?
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:10   #7
BHPian

Raw is there for you to modify the image

I have been handling DSLRs for the past 6 years and havent come across any machine which prints RAW yet. Even if you get one photo studio who say they do it, they may directly convert the RAW imaged to JPEG's and print it without even trying to tweak the image, which is not advisible. In this case i feel Jpeg image will look better because the camera will apply some image modifications.

What is Raw?
RAW is exactly what the word Raw states, ie. it is the direct output(eventhough all manufacturers tweak based on White balance and lighting) of the camera's sensor data to a file. Each manufacturer have their own format and even some of them encrypt the file.

The Raw file is there for you to modify and get a better picture out of it.
For eg. if you take a picture with RAW and the same picture with the highest quality JPEG, after converting the RAW image to Jpeg you will find that the image from Raw would be marginally better. Also Raw allows you to play more with the image. Only downside of this is you will need a software which will support your camera's format (if not provided with your camera).

If you want a better picture, tweaking the Raw image and croping it is the best option or if u feel lazy about spending 10 minutes on each image go with the JPEG option.
Please let us know what camera u have. Thanks.
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Best ( well maybe not the best) and easiest software is Canon Digital Photo professional. It comes inside EOS cd. and also can be downloaded from their site.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well, sorry but think I mixed up my question a bit there.

I have a Canon EOS 1000D and my question is regarding shooting at the highest resolution possible at RAW or JPEG. Yes, the printer will be converting them to JPEG anyway. Fine. But what is the largest size I can print at when I am shooting at the maximum possible resolution of 3888x2592 pixels. And what happens when I crop the image a little bit. Does this automatically mean that I can only print at a smaller size keeping the same dpi resolution. And what is the best size for printing for an exhibition.
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:35   #10
BHPian

Naveen,

Ideally, you shouldn't crop much. But then again you can "enlarge" the image to be printed at various sizes. One such software is called Genuine fractals, take a look,

Plug-In Suite 5 - Award Winning Plug-Ins for Adobe Photoshop - onOne Software
Old 4th December 2009, 19:26   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

I have a Canon EOS 1000D and my question is regarding shooting at the highest resolution possible at RAW or JPEG. Yes, the printer will be converting them to JPEG anyway. Fine. But what is the largest size I can print at when I am shooting at the maximum possible resolution of 3888x2592 pixels. And what happens when I crop the image a little bit. Does this automatically mean that I can only print at a smaller size keeping the same dpi resolution. And what is the best size for printing for an exhibition.
In most cases you can get a good print on A4 just with 5MP setting. So with anything higher it will be absolutely no problem. Light cropping is OK but keep it less than 10-15% so retain the resolution effect.
Old 5th December 2009, 03:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram View Post
I have been handling DSLRs for the past 6 years and havent come across any machine which prints RAW yet...snip...
Correct. Raw has nothing to do with the printing. I am not sure about India, but in western countries RAW is used with few algorithms as a court evidence. Its not usable as TIME evidence though.

Quote:

How long is a piece of string ???

And printing has absolutely nothing to do with what camera you have.

As said before 3-4 mega pixel is more than enough to get a decent A4 print. Actually a decent A3 or higher is possible.

How posters are made is with less ppi, which simply means they will look bad from close up but these are not meant to be seen up-close. The bigger the picture, further the person should be to see it.

You can have 1ppi and increase pixel size and the printed image will look fine from few hundred meters but will look awful from up-close.

Other way is to decrease noise and upscale the image to higher resolution. But at default most printers will try to do around 324ppi since if you are viewing the image closely then less than 300ppi will make it look bad. And most websites deal with average Joe who just want prints on the bedroom wall so they keep it at default and it keeps the work-flow going smoothly.

I am sure they can make a bigger print as long as their printer can print that size. You should contact them via email.

Cheers
Old 7th December 2009, 14:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post

And printing has absolutely nothing to do with what camera you have.

Cheers
Thanks it_inspector, HellwratH, kSethuram and SirAlec for the help!
But it_inspector, doesn't printing at large sizes do? When I mean large sizes, my requirement is for a photo exhibition where people will have close access to the images and will observe them closely. In this case, won't printing at lesser dpi bring about a bad quality to the prints?
Yes, and I understand the idea about having lesser dpi which would be great for large prints since it will be observed only from a distance. But for prints where there would be close observation, wouldn't atleast 300 dpi be required?

But I did get some good prints of sizes at 12 X 24 from Zoomin.com but they were quite costly. Whereas the prints at Printo are much cheaper but lose out on quality. I am sure they are printing at lesser dpi and they admit that specific photo printers will do a better job. I have tried printing at A4 sizes at Canvera.com and they are great! But I need to check at larger print sizes and will see.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I am trying to get the best solution for prints - for an exhibition. I have experimented with some prints with the above printers but am not able to afford too much for experimentation. But yes, like you said - I am sure they can print at larger sizes - Canvera have asked me to contact them direct instead of using the online portal.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, all professional that i know of uses RAW as their format of choice for editing and printing.
Old 11th December 2009, 10:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks it_inspector, HellwratH, kSethuram and SirAlec for the help!
But it_inspector, doesn't printing at large sizes do? When I mean large sizes, my requirement is for a photo exhibition where people will have close access to the images and will observe them closely. In this case, won't printing at lesser dpi bring about a bad quality to the prints?
Yes, and I understand the idea about having lesser dpi which would be great for large prints since it will be observed only from a distance. But for prints where there would be close observation, wouldn't atleast 300 dpi be required?

But I did get some good prints of sizes at 12 X 24 from Zoomin.com but they were quite costly. Whereas the prints at Printo are much cheaper but lose out on quality. I am sure they are printing at lesser dpi and they admit that specific photo printers will do a better job. I have tried printing at A4 sizes at Canvera.com and they are great! But I need to check at larger print sizes and will see.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I am trying to get the best solution for prints - for an exhibition. I have experimented with some prints with the above printers but am not able to afford too much for experimentation. But yes, like you said - I am sure they can print at larger sizes - Canvera have asked me to contact them direct instead of using the online portal.
ppi depends where the picture is going to be hung. Since you are doing Exhibition, picture might be viewed as close as 10cm. Well then you should use 300+ ppi anything less and it will be like viewing an image on a newspaper.

Well every printing service is different, final print quality matter on many factor both while printing and when hung. During printing, ppi, ink used, ink base, printer head and other things matter. In the end you get what you pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
AFAIK, all professional that i know of uses RAW as their format of choice for editing and printing.
But there is not a single printer that will print from a RAW and there is no on-line service that will do it.

When you edit and save a raw file, edit information is not saved in the actual raw file, it is saved in another file. If you send this raw file to the printer, they will print it without editing and without your color correction. Hence no one will accept a raw file.

Unless you are talking about using a computer directly connected to the printer and printing from the photo-shop with raw file open.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks