Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 17:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

HughesNet VSAT broadband

Anyone using the HughesNET VSAT broadband connection at office or home? I am considering getting it installed at my native place in the NorthEast as I am unable to find a DSL broadband service in my area. The satellite way is only way to stay connected when I am on vacation or working from home.

I enquired about the cost, and man, its not cheap on pocket.

- Rs. 65000 for the hardware (disc anntenna + satellite router/radio)
- Freight and installation extra.
- Some few thousands monthly broadband service plan (256 to 768kbps)

Though, I am willing to incur these charges, I just want to make sure if the cost would be the same for other VSAT services (if there are any).

Hughes - Satellite Broadband Internet Service Providers

Comments welcome!

Last edited by iTNerd : 19th March 2009 at 17:19.
Old 19th March 2009, 18:58   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Anyone using the HughesNET VSAT broadband connection at office or home? I am considering getting it installed at my native place in the NorthEast as I am unable to find a DSL broadband service in my area. The satellite way is only way to stay connected when I am on vacation or working from home.

Though, I am willing to incur these charges, I just want to make sure if the cost would be the same for other VSAT services (if there are any).

Comments welcome!
As I know satellite internet connections are one way connection, you may have to use dialup for upstream, please check with the company before ordering.

In past I had inquired with for VSAT internet for my factory in rural area of Gujarat, but stayed away as I was informed that the connection will only have downstream and for upstream I will have to use dialup.

Since then technology has advanced, and maybe I am wrong, so please check regarding this before ordering.

You can also try with the wimax services of BSNL, they have launched their services in many parts of India

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th March 2009 at 09:53. Reason: [font], [color] etc formatting tags removed. Please see the announcements section regarding this. Thanks.
Old 19th March 2009, 23:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

man this will surprise you.

in 1999, we gave this solution to a client. The equipment was 11lacs. and montly 24k for 64kbps clean line. it was a dream back then. but thier service was not good. we had lot of downtime.

Its not a good solution for home user. as it is expensive. also upload and download is limited.

which place do you live. in NE.

BSNL is everywhere. Try them. we were sucessful in convincing them to start broadband @7000 feet in Darjeeling 6 years ago. as the DTO was a bengaluru guy and while he was there was part of our gang.
Old 20th March 2009, 07:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post

Comments welcome!
Hey Nerd, where do you stay in NE ?? I stay at Dibrugarh and we have got broadband connection all over the place in assam even the remotest of villages service provider maybe BSNL / Airtel / Aircell / Tata Indicom / Reliance. Let me know where you stay i might be able to help you (Contacts yes !!! in some nice places)

Cheers

Lifewater
Old 20th March 2009, 13:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifewater View Post
Hey Nerd, where do you stay in NE ?? I stay at Dibrugarh and we have got broadband connection all over the place in assam even the remotest of villages service provider maybe BSNL / Airtel / Aircell / Tata Indicom / Reliance. Let me know where you stay i might be able to help you (Contacts yes !!! in some nice places)

Cheers

Lifewater
Hey, how is the broadband connection scene there? What's the max speed BSNL is offering and how is the connection quality? How much time do they take to provide the connection? Yes, the mobile network connection is very good(relatively) nowadays even in rural areas but not sure about the broadband.

BTW, about VSAT (Very Small Aperture Terminal) installation, afaik there used to be a Govt. initiative where they installed VSATs in rural areas for connectivity. I don't know what was the situation now.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devenashani View Post
As I know satellite internet connections are one way connection, you may have to use dialup for upstream, ...
They have always been 2-way connections, as far back as I can remember. How else will it be an 'Internet' connection?
Old 20th March 2009, 15:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Some of Satellite providers need a dialup connection. Satellite is used for downlink, and dial up is used for uplink.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
They have always been 2-way connections, as far back as I can remember. How else will it be an 'Internet' connection?
What he is saying is right. I know this solution existed even in the U.S 8 0r 9 years ago before even when there was DSL.
It was one way in which non-telecom players could get into providing internet service to people who lived far away from telephone exchange locations.
By the way, ADSL also is asymmetric in a similar way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks