Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2009, 08:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcreator View Post
It's not as good looking externally as the Samsung T190, but who cares about external beauty
Hehe.. yeah as long as the internal beauty makes up for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
you could check out your PSU power requirement in some PSU calculator but antec's PSU calculator shows 157Watts for my requirements, anyone got better idea about that ?
Will google for a PSU calculator and check. The PCIe slot can provide upto 75W for the graphics card, but if the card has a 6pin or 8pin PCIe power connector then usually the power required by the card would go beyond 75w upto 157w in PCIe 1.1 and beyond that in PCIe 2.0. So if the card i am getting doesn't have PCIe power connector we can assume that it won't go beyond 75w since the slot has a limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
@sankar : I thought they were all based on versions like ATX12V variants.
ATX12V means that it has a single 12v rail, ATX12V2 means two 12v rail. SFX form factor is Micro ATX form factor, but it's an ATX12V variant.

This is a good reading Power Supply Fundamentals | silentpcreview.com

This is my PSU FSP >> PC Power Supply >> SFX 12V ver 3.1 >> FSPxxx-60GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can I join in, and ask people's opinions of ASUS monitors?
Quote:
For the price you pay for Asus monitor, you can get one from LG/Samsung/Dell that will be better than Asus. Asus are the not the best, but mostly they are the costliest.
Its news to me that Asus is making efforts towards improving RMA. I hope they really do.
ASUS monitors have been very rare in this part of the world. Aren't RPTech the guys behind ASUS in India?
Old 29th March 2009, 08:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
1) Will google for a PSU calculator and check. The PCIe slot can provide upto 75W for the graphics card, but if the card has a 6pin or 8pin PCIe power connector then usually the power required by the card would go beyond 75w upto 157w in PCIe 1.1 and beyond that in PCIe 2.0. So if the card i am getting doesn't have PCIe power connector we can assume that it won't go beyond 75w since the slot has a limit.

2) ATX12V means that it has a single 12v rail, ATX12V2 means two 12v rail. SFX form factor is Micro ATX form factor, but it's an ATX12V variant.

This is a good reading Power Supply Fundamentals | silentpcreview.com

This is my PSU FSP >> PC Power Supply >> SFX 12V ver 3.1 >> FSPxxx-60GLS

3) ASUS monitors have been very rare in this part of the world. Aren't RPTech the guys behind ASUS in India?

1) All calculatorsa are not reliable. It also depends on the real world task that we assign. These are just synthtic tests. They try to load PC to check the max consumption, but when we run heavy applications on PC, the outcome might be different.
But for the 1.1 slot if no external power connector is required, they wont eat more than 75W. Thats why I suggest you 9500.
A 9600GT with 512 MB DDR3 can take upto 200W, and needs 6 pin connector. Higher up we have 8 pin connectors.

2) All I thought was this : its based on ATX and no other form factor exists, until I saw a 600W one. I was confused between the form factors of these. Thanks !

3) I am not sure for this, but people in my city dont even know that Asus does make monitors. Very few people know this and those who have used it informed me not to buy one. LG/Samsung/Dell and now Benq are good. The Koreans have made a good comeback with quite impressive products.
Old 29th March 2009, 08:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have had very good experiences with iball PSU's ( both my systems use them right now) , but both are 400/450W units , and my rigs are very basic - no gfx card, but have a very power hungry sound card ( would you believe the soundcard has its own power connector ) , tv tuner cards and Wi Fi card

FSP is a good PSU. they're OEM for many expensive brands. If they say 300W, they mean 300W, unlike most local PSU's

The only PSU I'd avoid is zebronics. two zebronics PSU's have together killed my old system ! ( one killed the hard disk, and the other killed the motherboard)

I doubt if the system will actually draw 300W, so you should be fine with it actually. we used to run much more power hungry P IV's with graphics cards on local/chinese 300W PSU's till a few years ago, so you can use them, no issues, especially since its an FSP

Yes, RP is the culprit. I think Asus wants to improve, but RP is way too strong and won't let them , and so the channel is now ruling the manufacturer, at least in india.
Old 29th March 2009, 09:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

greenhorn, add Intex to Zebronics. Intex ate my mobo and Ram, a mobo on which I was able to run my pc at 2.86 Ghz ( 220 X 13 ) with 2 X 1 GB Dynet Ram.
To this day I am not able to cross 2.8 ( right now its 2808 ).
You are correct for the 300W PSU, but if the card is not 8600GT ( on which 9500GT is loosely based ) and its 9500GT card can well eat upto what the slot can provide. Its best not to take risk and sometimes we might end up addding more HDD ( though it would take less than 10W ) or anyother component to PC.

I started off with two HDD and no cards. Right now its 2 Optical drives, 2 HDD, two cards.

I agree that most PSU locally availbale cannot deliver what they are rated at.
I would say avoid Intex along with Zebronics.

Regarding RPtech, why cant Asus just leave them ? Its products are the most suited for assembled PC ( read features ), but only RMA comes in way ( the other is dual layer PCB that is what I heard ).

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th March 2009 at 09:36.
Old 29th March 2009, 13:01   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the feedback on ASUS.

I've always regarded Samsung as a reputable company, but have been put off them by recent experiences of unreliable AC machines. Different division, yes, but these things stick.
Old 29th March 2009, 14:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

I guess the experiences may vary. A friend of mine had a dead pixel (single one) in a brand new monitor. it cost him 14k back then ( 2 years ago). he contacted samsung support in pune ( thats where he was then), and they replaced the panel at his house, no questions asked - remember viewsonic will do it only if you have 5 or more , towards the center.

the support guy who did the replacement showed him the invoice for the panel replacement they'd be claiming from samsung. It was around 16k. he was impressed!

that was in pune , 2 years ago, wonder if things have changed...
Old 29th March 2009, 20:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Ok so i guess i'm pretty safe with 300W FSP PSU. I did the Antec PSU calculation here Antec Power Supply Calculator i overspecified the configuration for calculation. Calc says i need a 274W PSU.
Old 29th March 2009, 20:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Ok so i guess i'm pretty safe with 300W FSP PSU. I did the Antec PSU calculation here Antec Power Supply Calculator i overspecified the configuration for calculation. Calc says i need a 274W PSU.
That is surprising. I got 378W rating from the calculator you have mentioned. I think I am in unsafe zone as its on the edge for me. Any one more item = my pc in trouble.
Old 29th March 2009, 22:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is surprising. I got 378W rating from the calculator you have mentioned. I think I am in unsafe zone as its on the edge for me. Any one more item = my pc in trouble.
My mishtake.. actually i dint choose the capacitor aging. With 30% aging selected it will go upto 320W with the overconfigured specification at 90%. But with my intended configuration with 30% cap aging it's safe at 282W with system loading of 90%. At peak 100% load, which is highly unlikey, the requirement would be 314W with 30% cap aging and 298W at 95% loading.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:24   #40
BHPian

I picked up a Benq E900 HD last week. It has DVI Input and good picyure quality. I chose this one as I needed one with inbuilt speakers. If you do not want multimedia, go for the G900 HD it costs the same ( I paid Rs.6,750 for mine) but has higher resolution. Links to both models here :

E900 HD : BenQ India - Computing

G900 HD : BenQ Global - Computing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks