Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 15:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

If you have a comparatively new motherboard with an onboard NIC a normal straight through cable may work for you and you wo't need a rollover cable. This is because most of the new gen onboard nics are Auto MDI/MDIX capable. If any one device supports auto mdi/mdix it will work. Most cheap addon nic don't have this feature.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
He is already transferring by WiFi and its giving him atrocious transfer rates.

You can get external ventilated USB boxes for DVD drives. When your DVD drives, HDDs, graphics cards, motherboards and just about every ancillary part is made in China anyway, what have you really got to say? You have absolutely no choice but to buy these things and trust that it has been through good QC. Admit it, the world's electronics manufacturing hub is China and Taiwan to a lesser extent.

You can use the crossover cable method for maximum wired speed (100Mbps provided both NICs are that fast).

You should NEVER connect USB ports from one computer to another computer straight up unless you want to see sparks, flames and explosions from both computers. Trust me, they. will. blow. up.
Slightly OT, the external drive casing boxes are anyways crappy however the electronics which convert signals & connectors too are horrible.

Yet to see ventilated ones.

2 drives killed due to the inferior electronics, forget the data on the discs.

Most reputed manufacturers honour warranty claims, (its a diff topic altogether how they honour the warranty) however the external casing route is dead and done with. I would never advise any one to put his/her drives in the casing. I've got two failed casings and equivalent hard discs as testimony to their quality. Forget years, it was within weeks when things started failing.

The USB funda to a large extent is true, avoid connecting two pcs with USB, these are powered ports.

Wifi config is not advisable remotely.
Cheers.
Old 16th April 2009, 00:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I thought of this but this means i have to relocate my desktop to another room (my router is in a different room). I had initially thought of this. I guess the crossover cable is the easier choice for me.

@mmmjgm:Will pick up the cable today. Thanks.

Also can i put my desktop's dvd drive in an external usb case.
Please post the detail scenario.

Desktop and router in same room?

laptop and router in same room?

laptop, router and dektop all in different room??

take your pick
Old 20th April 2009, 16:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Slightly OT, the external drive casing boxes are anyways crappy however the electronics which convert signals & connectors too are horrible.

Yet to see ventilated ones.

2 drives killed due to the inferior electronics, forget the data on the discs.

Most reputed manufacturers honour warranty claims, (its a diff topic altogether how they honour the warranty) however the external casing route is dead and done with. I would never advise any one to put his/her drives in the casing. I've got two failed casings and equivalent hard discs as testimony to their quality. Forget years, it was within weeks when things started failing.

The USB funda to a large extent is true, avoid connecting two pcs with USB, these are powered ports.

Wifi config is not advisable remotely.
Cheers.
Hmm, that's pretty awful luck you've had with external enclosures. I have one that was bought from Taiwan which has worked solidly for years now. It has an all aluminium casing with cooling fins, a small fan at the rear and beefy power brick. Cost my dad something like INR 500/- back in the day. I've been using that thing on everything with an IDE port.
Old 21st April 2009, 23:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
i have one, i think got it from NP. 'ICY BOX' is written on it. performance is better than even ready made ones. got it for Rs.1200. two years ago
Old 22nd April 2009, 03:02   #21
BHPian

I've bought a "T-Link" ultra slim DVD writer formy netbook today. Yet to write a disc using it, will keep you posted. I was looking for a Buffalo brand DVD writer (INR approx.6K) when I came across this (INR 2.9K) it's quite portable and slim, will let you know the performance bit later in the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks