Old 20th April 2009, 18:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

IT Corporate takeovers. Edit- Now Dell buys Perot

Talk about recession!
Oracle and Sun
Old 20th April 2009, 18:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

What the!!! My God!

Now, this is something! Never knew that Sun was on the menu!!!

Now, why all would Oracle gain by this?
Old 20th April 2009, 18:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oracle is selling its own flavor of Linux based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Until now, it wasn't anything special, since many other groups give away RHEL rebuild versions for free (CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc). Now with Sun's hand in Solaris and technologies like ZFS, Oracle can implement these in their own OS and actually have something worth selling.

Of course, I'm only a Linux guy and have hardly any idea what else Novell does these days...
Old 20th April 2009, 18:21   #4
BHPian

Gain? You now will get pre packaged sun boxes with Oracle database and other applications. Oracle also gets mySQL which is coming up big time (might mean the end of Oracle lite though).

Add all this and a mad man named Larry Ellison and you have the answer!
Old 20th April 2009, 20:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good Lord, it looks like Oracle has swallowed every big company within 30 kms radius of its HQ in Redwood Shores---Siebel, PeopleSoft, etc etc---the list goes on.
Old 20th April 2009, 20:42   #6
BHPian

I guess this is 33rd in their list. Best of luck Larry Uncle, Please adopt me.
Old 20th April 2009, 21:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

This would provide Oracle a foothold in Mobile and Pervasive computing space with Java. It's rivals MS, Google are ahead in the race.
Old 20th April 2009, 22:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

last I read Oracle got plans to take over redhat as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt
Of course, I'm only a Linux guy and have hardly any idea what else Novell does these days...
Novell is making profit only from their Linux Services as what I read at slashdot some time back.
Old 20th April 2009, 22:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good business model. Introduce more Quad-Core CPUs per server and increase the uptake of Oracle licenses since its per core.

Win-Win. How come there's not monopoly-restriction ruling on this one? They will probably tear our budgets apart together.
Old 20th April 2009, 23:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Looks like all our fun has ended! Like they say, all good things should come to an end.

Sun has been a company where everyone of us have loved to work. These six years have been wonderful, both technically and otherwise.

What a lovely bunch of engineers I have had the privilege of working with! The innovations that have come out of Sun have been countless. Java, Solaris, OpenSolaris, ZFS, OpenStorage, NFS, VFS layer, initial contribution to ethernet, etc.

I do acknowledge the fact that life for me will not be the same from now on.

But, in its short and sweet innings, Sun has made a significant contribution to IT world.

Sun is one of the only few companies which has invested very heavily in R&D and the results have shown. It is unfortunate that people who have innovated so much are finding it difficult to stay put in this recession, whereas people who just pick up pieces from here and there and brand their stuff are thriving. Yes, there have been areas where we were found wanting. For example, all and sundry made money out of Java, except its inventor.

I am hoping that Oracle will show Sun how to make money and I only hope that they will allow Sun to do what it does best; innovate.

I wish this alliance all the best.
Old 20th April 2009, 23:46   #11
Team-BHP Support

Well, this is a big surprise. SunOS 4.x running on SPARCclassic was my first Unix. I guess Larry and Scott were always pals when they were fighting their common enemy Bill in the 90s. Now, they have become one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Java, Solaris, OpenSolaris, ZFS, OpenStorage, NFS, VFS layer, initial contribution to ethernet, etc.
You left out NC.
Old 20th April 2009, 23:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Looks like all our fun has ended! Like they say, all good things should come to an end.

Sun has been a company where everyone of us have loved to work. These six years have been wonderful, both technically and otherwise.

What a lovely bunch of engineers I have had the privilege of working with! The innovations that have come out of Sun have been countless. Java, Solaris, OpenSolaris, ZFS, OpenStorage, NFS, VFS layer, initial contribution to ethernet, etc.

I do acknowledge the fact that life for me will not be the same from now on.

But, in its short and sweet innings, Sun has made a significant contribution to IT world.

Sun is one of the only few companies which has invested very heavily in R&D and the results have shown. It is unfortunate that people who have innovated so much are finding it difficult to stay put in this recession, whereas people who just pick up pieces from here and there and brand their stuff are thriving. Yes, there have been areas where we were found wanting. For example, all and sundry made money out of Java, except its inventor.

I am hoping that Oracle will show Sun how to make money and I only hope that they will allow Sun to do what it does best; innovate.

I wish this alliance all the best.
Wonder how it would be possible to survive in the coming days (i.e. commercially) There's always an overhead on acquisitions for the acquirer.

Well the most popular product they have which is Java Runtime environment will be free. Alternatively will it mean that MySQL is will be shelved ?

I.e. a lot of SMEs use MySQL as well as a lot of websites onto databases.

Cheers
Old 20th April 2009, 23:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

Well the most popular product they have which is Java Runtime environment will be free. Alternatively will it mean that MySQL is will be shelved ?

I.e. a lot of SMEs use MySQL as well as a lot of websites onto databases.

Cheers
I guess it is too early to figure out what Oracle does with MySQL or Java or Solaris or Sparc or StarOffice. In the coming days, I will have to figure out whether I need to wait or should I start hunting for a new job :-(

If you look at it, almost all of Sun's products are open sourced. If the communities like it so much and want to develop it in future, they are all there for them; Oracle or no Oracle; Sun or no Sun.
Old 21st April 2009, 00:03   #14
Team-BHP Support

Actually I replaced Oracle with MySQL in my company way back in 1999. Never thought a day would come when Oracle would devour MySQL. I hope DOJ will wakeup and make sure MySQL doesn't get killed by Oracle.
Old 21st April 2009, 00:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually I replaced Oracle with MySQL in my company way back in 1999. Never thought a day would come when Oracle would devour MySQL. I hope DOJ will wakeup and make sure MySQL doesn't get killed by Oracle.
MySQL already has a fork. If I remember it correctly, it is MariaDB. That is supposed to be free. It certainly is difficult to "kill" an open sourced product.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks