Team-BHP - Help on Handycams...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Help on Handycams... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/5714-help-handycams-3.html)

I would definately suggest a sony handycam to you it is very well equipped and user friendly!

hey guys..finally got the model i mentioned here. The cam's pretty good, but i feel the videos are pretty dark. Is there anyway this can be improved?

Congrats on ur new camera. Is it coming with 3years warranty? Is that international warranty? How much you paid for this? Did u buy this from sony world?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karthik247
The cam's pretty good, but i feel the videos are pretty dark. Is there anyway this can be improved?

Play around with exposure and backlight settings till you find the right combination.

Yea i got it from Sony World, and comes with 3yr. warranty ofcourse. I paid Rs35,990. for the cam. It's got lots of nice features, and is touch screen.

Oh, and can u Delete or Erase videos from the DV tape???

I have also been toying with the idea of getting a handycam for the past few months ..

I have zeroed in on the Panasonic NV GS 35.

It's officially available at ~ Rs. 30K
Baazee (eBay) prices are around Rs. 24/25K
JJ Mehta is selling it on their site at Rs. 21.5K with a few freebies thrown in. (without bill and taxes and they will give their own warranty).

DueLLer, since you have had experience dealing with JJMehta, would you advise me to go for it from them ? I stay in Kolkata and am not too bothered about A.S.S. .. if there's a prob later on I'll get it done at Panasonic service centers out here ..

My concerns are:
1. I need to pay them upfront (money transfer/cheque etc) .. they will then ship it to me. How reliable are they ?
2. Do they normally keep good stuff ? I mean I hope they don't pass on used/defective stuff ...

Your inputs inlcuding anyone else who may have dealt with JJMehta, would be of immense help ..

Friends,

I am reviving this thread as I need an immediate help in choosing a handycam. I don't have much idea about handycams. The company is offering a Sony handycam as gift. I have to decide today and let them know.

They have given an option of upgrading it from the model being gifted. I will have to pay the remaining amount and it has to be Sony. The model being offered is DCR-HC38/E . Here is the link Sony India - like no other

My requirements are :
- Good picture quality
- Ability to watch on DVD player
- Good Night shot abilities ( like wedding/parties )
- Good capabilities to capture moments of Kids
- I don't need still shot capabilities. I have DSLR and P&S camera.
- Easy to use
- I can spend 10-15k more (as 20k ( approx ) will be provided by company )

I am considering HDD ( not sure of model ) as I feel it would be most easy to use ( edit/delete/<</>> etc.). Not keen on DVD as its not that easy to use and edit within camera. Moreover I have heard picture quality is best in MiniDV as compared to DVD/HDD. Can I make my own DVD's from MiniDV. How reliable is MiniDV as a media for archiving ( hot /humid weather). Is it worth spending 20-30k on miniDV.

Please suggest what should I do. Its urgent I have to decide and let the company know the model I have chose, before leaving for the day.

Here are two option of Sony HDD models

Sony India - like no other

Sony India - like no other

guys I need your input ..

Need to buy one asap. Not sure

Which company?
Technology? (DVD or HDD)
Where?
Battery type?

I need it with moderate battery life and good long storage. I have no clue what is better. Please help.

Budget: 30K aprx.

basic requirement is it should be a solid storage type. no hard disk, cd, dvd etc.

If you are going to buy for personal use, then I suggest you to go for a good quality 10-12MP DSLR which can do 25/30 fps video instead of the pure handycam. The DSLR would be bit expensive probably 30% more than your budget, but over 3-5 years ownership period you will not be tempted to buy a DSLR again.

more over the videocameras are not as frequenty used as good quality still cameras. more oevr the video camera ower can not be part of the action as he would be busy shooting.

i am telling you from my personal experience. I bought a Sony Handycam DCR19/20 @ 35K in 2002 when my daughter was born, but the camera has not been used since last 3-4 years. We mostly use the Sony Sill camera, but now started feeling the need for DSLR.

Thanks a lot for input. I do understand that good quality still camera outlines video camera.

I do have a still camera.

However i am planning a trip abroad (also will be in singapore after 8 days of tour -- so cant buy it from there.:-()

So need to have a video cam.

Ok, Few things to figure out first
1. Do you need HDD,DVD , Flash Mem etc - From Battery life, faster access point, a Flash Memory is the best. a Flash Memory of 16 GB and onwards should be the best. This can be on board, or as a SD card ( or Sony Mem card).
2. Do you need SD or HD. HDs are little expensive, but you also need the complete set up for SD. Your medium on which you are going to play back on, should be HD ready.Also, depends on what you are going to capture. If you are looking for very high quality videos ( they will also occupy more space), then you need HD, else stick to SD.
3. CCDs - More the CCDs, clearer/sharper would be the image. I think Canon uses CMOS instead of CCDs.
5. After sale service - go for a decent brand . canon/Sony etc should be good.

If you manage to buy in Singapore, it will be value for money, however, it might not serve your purpose. The goodies you get bundled there are awesome. I bought mine from Singapore, and I got a 8GB SD card, 2 Camera cases, tripod, cleaning kit, extra battery free with my Canon. The best offer in India for the same camera was a hideous looking red color strolley.

Good luck.

I have a year old Sony HDR SR 10E. It has a 30gb HDD and is 1080i capable. Picture quality is great and a treat to watch on a high def TV. The bundled software has an option to burn the videos to DVD, but I have saved them on a external HDD and watch through WDTV media player. Camera is extremely easy to operate and very light weight.

There are newer models with flash memory instead of HDD. There is really not much difference in picture quality. With HDD I have so far never even thought about things like space constraint.

I have a a canon EOS 1000D and personally I feel you must use the the equipment for what it is meant to be. For example, Sony is capable of taking 5MP still pictures, but in quality they are nowhere close to still pictures taken by the canon.