Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 06:33   #1
BHPian

Folding@Home Anyone ?

I searched for "folding" in TBHP and got just one result related to ORVM's so here goes :

Folding@home - Main

The keywords here are "distributed computing" . To summarize the program in my own words - It is a software developed by a team at Stanford University which uses home PC's to do complex mathematical calculations related to proteins - the ultimate objective being to find cures for diseases for which none exist at present.

The program currently has 410,990 active calculators across the world (including Windows CPUs ,Macs ,GPU's and PS3's!!) with 1,234,659 non-anonymous donors .It has received results from 3.75 million devices since it first started in 2000. Best of all ,the project is headed by an Indian , Professor Vijay Pande.

I am sure many of us have our PC's running 24x7 and this seems to be a good way to utilize the idle capacity of the processors. Separate GPU clients are available as well.

You have the option of running it as an individual or as a team and you get points based on the number of workunits you process . So how about a TBHP Folding@Home team guys... ?
Old 15th May 2009, 08:34   #2
BHPian

What do we do with the points?
Old 15th May 2009, 09:05   #3
BHPian

I have been a listed user since the quite some time. However, I've dumped the app now because I'm mostly on my laptop and need my battery life.

You don't really do anything with the points. Its just a feel good factor where you know your contributed to a world cause.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks