Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2009, 11:53   #1
BHPian

Tata Indicom not allowing prepaid to postpaid conversion

Isn't it illegal to disallow prepaid to postpaid conversion according to TRAI Regulations? When I enquired they said you have to change your number, no other go.

When I googled, I could read the TRAI guidelines saying, that operators should allow free conversion of prepaid to postpaid without any charges for the same. But it does not say anywhere that the conversion should be allowed mandatorily. Can anyone point me to the same? I will not be able to fight with Tata Indicom if I do not find this.
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Whom did you check with? A local dealer or the call center. Usually the dealers discourage the conversion cause they get commission for new connections and not conversions.
Old 23rd May 2009, 13:32   #3
BHPian

Spot On!

You were exactly right. I called customer care and they confirmed that it is possible. What makes me wonder is, the dealer I called is a Tata Indicom owned and operated hub. I wonder why they are telling like this. At least if it is a dealer owned, I can understand.
Old 26th May 2009, 13:55   #4
BHPian

Had to fight for my rights!

After calling customer care, I called the tata owned hub again, and they again refused saying it is not possible. The excuse they gave was, the customer care's TL wouldn't have told them about the mail they got about a month ago. TL's very first job is to keep all his team mates informed about any change immediately. This shows how pathetic the customer care functions.

When I called the hub that is attached to the head office of Tata Teleservices, the receptionist said that the conversion of pre to post is allowed. I said the same company owned hub is not allowing in a different area, she said you can come here and do it. I was going for a movie on Sunday and the head office was nearby, so I agreed to go. When I landed there on Sunday the woman there again said that the conversion is not possible and only the vice versa is possible. I got really irritated, and said I have come all the way here because your receptionist promised she can do it, and now you give me a different picture. That woman coolly said she mustn't have been aware of the mail that they got a month ago. I really lost it after this. I wanted to talk to the manager. She said it is Sunday and hence the Manager is on leave. So what? I asked her to reach him on his mobile. She dialed some number after some persuasion and it was switched off (i insisted her to put it on speakerphone). I insisted that she try his personal mobile phone or personal landline number or something and somehow reach him. Otherwise there is no point in keeping their shop open on a Sunday if they cannot do anything.

After I raised my voice a little and some continuous persuasion, she finally got the point that I am not going to leave until I have achieved what I wanted to do. So she went inside got her personal mobile, dialed some number and I heard someone telling her that it has again been started from a week or so ago. Then finally filled up the application form for post-paid, submitted the necessary self-attested documents, etc.

Then I had to pay a deposit of Rs.500 for which I won't be given a receipt immediately and I have to collect it later it seems. I didn't budge and insisted on a receipt. Again she said it is Sunday, and the head office is closed and hence cannot give me a receipt. I once again started the argument of why they have the showroom open if they can't do anything. Finally she enquired with someone and confirmed that she can swipe my card for Rs.500 (at least I will have the swiping copy with me as proof).

Such was the experience of shifting from pre to post paid of Tata Indicom. I had done the same for Airtel a couple of months ago. And all it took was a phone call. Somebody came to collect my documents, provide me a new SIM card and best of all NO DEPOSIT (because I was a good customer - meaning always recharge above Rs.500 every month, and always my connection is active).
Old 27th May 2009, 10:59   #5
BHPian

Atleast by some persuasion you may be able get things work at Indicoms main offices. But with local hubs, it is just mafia like.In Hyd here, Indicom local hubs sell the handsets at price higher than listed, sell prepaid starter packs at higher rates, sometimes they collect extra 'service' charges- if you insist rules you might be bullied out.
Old 28th May 2009, 18:53   #6
BHPian

Try Dealer Locater

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Atleast by some persuasion you may be able get things work at Indicoms main offices. But with local hubs, it is just mafia like.In Hyd here, Indicom local hubs sell the handsets at price higher than listed, sell prepaid starter packs at higher rates, sometimes they collect extra 'service' charges- if you insist rules you might be bullied out.
Try the Dealer Locater under Quick Links in the website of Tata Indicom.
Most of the TVH (True Value Hubs) classified as "Full Service Outlets" are owned and operated by Tata Indicom. Chennai has at least 7 of them. Most of the small ones called TVS (True Value Shoppe) classified as "Quick Service Outlets" are owned by franchisees. Keep away from the latter if you want good service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks