Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 23:14   #1

HTC help needed......AGAIN!!

Im Having an EXTREMELY bad day.

Today morning, at around 2AM, i opened my phone's Flap to type a message, and it sorta broke. Anyways, That is not the Help that i need..

I wanted to do a Back up for my Phone Contacts. As I connected my phone, it synced, and then after a few minuites, as I disconnected my phone, ALL MY CONTACTS WERE DELETED!!

Im really really ticked off as this is the second time this has happened in the past few months. The First time, the phone automatically shut off and started Formatting itself and everything got deleted including almost 1.5k contacts, and this time i lost 790 contacts.

Can anyone help!!! PLEASE!! PLEASE!! I really desperately need my contacts back...
Old 7th June 2009, 23:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

First you need to mention which HTC it is.
Old 8th June 2009, 00:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Cyrus please mention the HTC model it is ?

This is one of the reason why i store my contacts on memory card / PC and sync every week with ZYB.Com and Windows Live services
Old 8th June 2009, 00:36   #4

HTC S 710. I really need Help guys!! Im feelin really low right now!! Frank gave me a software and he said there is some PIM file that can help...???????

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 8th June 2009 at 00:38.
Old 8th June 2009, 00:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Yes PPCPIM manager backs upthe messages, contacts everything. I got it done when I upgraded my HTC from WinMo 6.0 to 6.1.

You can install the software on your computer as well and access the data.
Old 8th June 2009, 00:44   #6
BHPian

DON'T PANIC!

All that has happened is that while synchronizing, the contacts have been deleted, and have been moved to the deleted folder in Outlook on you PC.

You can still find them there in that 'deleted items' folder.

Also, if you have a .PIM file, you can install the PPCPIM manager as suggested by vid on your phone, and do a restore operation.
Old 8th June 2009, 00:47   #7

Its not in the deleted folder in Outlook!! That is exactly why i am panicking!!

I have a File in my Phone memory which is named "pim"

And the Backup that the Software is doing is only a current backup. Its not showing all the lost Contacts.
Old 8th June 2009, 09:52   #8
BHPian

If your handset sync'ed when you connected it to you computer - chances are that the contacts did end up in your Outlook Address book (depending on the sync settings). Can you check your Outlook address book and see if you can identify some contacts there?

Installing PIM backup app will not help 'after' this mishap.
Old 8th June 2009, 10:17   #9
Team-BHP Support

Did you have delete all items in deleted folder at exit, set in outlook? Otherwise even if the sync goes wrong all the items will be in the trash can of outlook.

What i do is, once in a while i create a back up of the phone address book in outlook, but in a different folder. So that if any mishaps happen i can retrieve from the second outlook folder.

Wont help if you have already lost the data.

Have you done a recent back up of the device, then restore might help.
Old 8th June 2009, 11:27   #10

Nothing is working... I guess I have Lost it all... :(
Old 8th June 2009, 11:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

I fear, that you have lost it all.

One tip I can give, Assuming you have WM, after pairing with a Laptop/Desktop, and before stay Syncing, go to Activesync of PDA, Menu/Options/Select Machine/Settings/Keep the items on device.

This happened to me recently, when my office laptop was changed, I paired my ASUS with Laptop, and forgot to change the settings, and all was washed out after sync. Luckily I had kept the backup on my home laptop.

Last edited by rkbharat : 8th June 2009 at 11:42.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:16   #12
BHPian

Don't we have recovery softwares for memory cards like the ones we have for regular hard disk? As, deleted is not completely deleted unless that memory location has been overwritten.

I did a search on google and came up with this search page, hope one of these softwares will help.
recovering deleted files from media cards - Google Search=
Old 8th July 2009, 11:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I fear, that you have lost it all.

One tip I can give, Assuming you have WM, after pairing with a Laptop/Desktop, and before stay Syncing, go to Activesync of PDA, Menu/Options/Select Machine/Settings/Keep the items on device.

This happened to me recently, when my office laptop was changed, I paired my ASUS with Laptop, and forgot to change the settings, and all was washed out after sync. Luckily I had kept the backup on my home laptop.

Happens to me all the time- and not just with regard to PC syncing. A few months back, Google launched its own Google sync where you could seamlessly work with your own contacts and the ones in your gmail. I tried that- next thing I know, I only have my gmail contacts and all the phone contacts are lost.

Its best to keep a backup .csv file somewhere on your PC and keep updating it everytime you sync.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks