Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Camcorder will not connect to PC

I have been trying to connect a Panasonic NV GS55 camcorder via the DV out (firewire port) to my PC (running XP SP2) so I can transfer AV to PC for editing.

Faffed about with it a good few hours and not had any joy. I have uninstalled the firewire port via device manager and reinstalled, made sure DV out was set on the camcorder.

I did have it working more than a year ago but even then it was hit and miss and very temperamental. The camcorder is a few years old but has been used for less than 10 hours so I doubt it is the problem as everything else on it works fine.

Please does anybody have any idea as to what could be wrong.
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:34   #2
BHPian

Don't your panasonic comes with Motion DV thru USB?

If not, I dont know the correct solution other than 'TRY TILL REINSTALLING WINDOWS'
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Jenni,

No idea about motion via usb. I have installed windows again, tried W2000, XP and finally Vista. No joy at all, tried on a different machine and still no joy.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:47   #4
BHPian

Are you sure the cassettes plays without any problem in the cam LCD, when it stops capturing in PC?

Which capturing softwares you have tried? Whats you result with CpatureFlux?

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 23rd June 2009 at 22:48.
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Jenni,

The camcorder is not even being detected by XP so no chance of capturing any AV. Yes playback on LCD in the camera is fine, I have tried WinDV, Ulead Videostation etc etc. But I guess it is all pointless till XP recognises the camcorder. I have made sure the firewall is not blocking the 1394 connection but still no joy, makes you feel like smashing the camcorder over bill gates head.
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
makes you feel like smashing the camcorder over bill gates head.
I hope Bill gates has nothing to do here. You need the driver for the firewire chip, mostly for a Texas Instrument or low-end Via chipset one. Which firewire card you have?

Have you tried to change the firewire cable? Are you sure your camera is in Play mode for firewire?

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 23rd June 2009 at 23:39.
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your help Jenni.

Yup camera is set to pump out DV via firewire.

It is via chipset and driver is installed. I have tried uninstalling the driver and installing again but that did not help. Yes tried 2 different cables still no joy.

Tried google and SP2 apparently did mess firewire setup on a lot of PC's if the hits are anything to go by, so I guess I can blame bill gates. Tried the suggested fixes to overcome this but still no joy.

Last edited by bigman : 23rd June 2009 at 23:51.
Old 24th June 2009, 00:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Tried google and SP2 apparently did mess firewire setup on a lot of PC's if the hits are anything to go by, so I guess I can blame bill gates
Its true with Via Chipsets. I recommend you a TI 1394a, if your camera is not faulty(!)

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 24th June 2009 at 00:06.
Old 24th June 2009, 01:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jeni,

I have ordered a TI chipset firewire card so will see how I go with that.
Old 24th June 2009, 01:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
It is via chipset and driver is installed. I have tried uninstalling the driver and installing again but that did not help. Yes tried 2 different cables still no joy.
Make sure that, you are using good quality Firewire cable. They end up being the culprit few times.
Old 24th June 2009, 01:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

check the camera with any other system with FW.

check your FW card by plugging any other FW device like external hdd etc.
Old 24th July 2009, 01:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the help guys. The camcorder was 5 years old, took it back to the retailer a few weeks ago after they agreed to repair it free of charge. Today they offered me a full refund. Now thats what I call excellent after sales service.
Old 24th July 2009, 01:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

you got a refund for a 5 year old camera. is that retailer real or what.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sir Alec,

It did take 3 short emails to solicit the refund

To be honest with you, I have always found John Lewis in the UK to have excellent after sales service. This is not the first time I have had a chance to test their their service many years after buying a product. People shy away from them because their prices are usually higher than elsewhere but they will pricematch virtually any other high street retailer. For televisions they give you a 5 year warranty as standard. For all other electrical items its a 2 year warranty as standard.

Only problem now is that I have about 6 mini DV tapes which I have not backed up to disc. All the new camcorders are hard drive or make use of memory cards. My cousin has a mini DV camcorder so I guess I will have to borrow his and copy all the tapes to the PC.
Old 24th July 2009, 13:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
My cousin has a mini DV camcorder so I guess I will have to borrow his and copy all the tapes to the PC.
If your cousin's is not a Panasonic but a Sony, for example, you will find that you can't quite get the same result in terms of picture clarity. Some annoying waves will come. Apparently their heads spin at different speeds - I am not quite sure about this but was told this as a wild guess by someone.
In my case we wanted to check out mini-dvs with a Panasonic camera. The original tapes were shot on a Sony camera. The film didn't show properly !!!
Best of luck.
Another problem with these slightly older generation cameras is the non-availability of OE batteries.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks