Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 05:45   #16
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
nice setup naughty. I should learn from you Gurus!
im not a Guru in any form, just someone fortunate enough to have a decent setup

Old 12th October 2009, 11:04   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
im not a Guru in any form, just someone fortunate enough to have a decent setup
Going by your scale (>Rs 4 lakhs) then most of what we own is like tin boxes
Old 12th October 2009, 14:38   #18
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Going by your scale (>Rs 4 lakhs) then most of what we own is like tin boxes
well here in South Africa due to the taxation and import duty system this is an inflated figure, im sure that in India, the same equipment (or similar) would cost a lot less

here in South Africa, anything not made here is heavily taxed.

and to be honest my setup is pretty budget compared to what lots of people here spend. One of my friends has bought a pair of Martin Logan speakers where the stereo pair of speakers cost as much as my entire system and he is bi-wiring this with audioquest cable that costs around the same amount in total when you include his RCA interconnects

here are some pictures of that equipment (sorry for cellphone pictures) when they arrived into his retail shop, he is still renovating his home so he hasnt installed it all yet - the renovation will only be completed in January - so i will take some proper pictures then - its been set up on the shop floor for running in but has been subsequently disconnected and is now being stored in his warehouse till the renovation of his home is completed

speakers

My home theatre setup-ml1.jpg

rca cables

Name:  Ml5.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  38.8 KB

very expensive speaker cables - he has two sets of these to bi wire the setup and these arrive in their own black velvet bag - this set is currently at my place for some "testing"

My home theatre setup-ml7.jpg

since then he has also received delivery of his top of the range Denon AVC1-HD receiver which costs around 4 times more than my receiver

so my system is pretty amateur here, though in the long term id love to build it up to a pro level

Last edited by naughty001 : 12th October 2009 at 14:56.

Old 12th October 2009, 19:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Are those interconnects Audioquest? They seem to have that DBS battery module. I used to have the AQ Jaguars once upon a time. Since then have upgrade to better ICs.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:54   #20
naughty001

yes - the interconnects and the speaker cable are audioquest. The guy has purchased the following :

1) 1 pair Audioquest 1 metre Colorado Interconnects = R8000 (approx 50000 rupees)
2) 2 Pairs Audioquest Mont Blanc 3 metre speaker cable = R44000 (approx 277000 rupees)
3) 1 Pair Audioquest Pikes Peak 3 metre Speaker cable = R12000 (approx 75000 rupees) - this is the one thats lying at my place for now, its half the price of the above cable and it is for the bookshelf speakers in his bedroom. They are still twice the price of the MIT cables that im using

and yes those figures are not typo errors, the guy did spend R64000 on cables which is approximately equal to 402000 rupees. At any rate those are the cables that he has bought and that is the retail price of those here and i am not sure what type of a discount he has managed to get on those but im sure he wouldnt have paid the full price, but the discount wouldnt be more than 10 to 15% of that total though

Old 13th October 2009, 15:05   #21
BHPian

Bose Speakers & Woofer

Bose Acoustimas Cube Speakers with Bose Woofer is also very exciting experience. I have Bose Acoustimas 6 with Bose Woofer and Yamaha 640z Amplifer, it is wonderful experince of sound specially when watching DVD movies like Conair, Fast & Furious, Car chases etc.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:52   #22
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Bose Acoustimas Cube Speakers with Bose Woofer is also very exciting experience. I have Bose Acoustimas 6 with Bose Woofer and Yamaha 640z Amplifer, it is wonderful experince of sound specially when watching DVD movies like Conair, Fast & Furious, Car chases etc.
I'm glad that you are happy with your system. In the long term that is what it is all about in other words to achieve a level of satisfaction from the equipment that made it worth buying in the first place

Old 13th October 2009, 20:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Have you heard any other systems before getting the Bose? If yes, please let us know which ones. Thanks.

@ naughty - Sorry for going OT with your thread. Nice HT, by the way. And yeah, the prices are way too high. Some of that gear is much cheaper even in India, where we are permanently cribbing about high import duties.
Old 14th October 2009, 06:37   #24
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Have you heard any other systems before getting the Bose? If yes, please let us know which ones. Thanks.

@ naughty - Sorry for going OT with your thread. Nice HT, by the way. And yeah, the prices are way too high. Some of that gear is much cheaper even in India, where we are permanently cribbing about high import duties.
its not really off topic if its related to home theatre, so i dont really mind, so please feel free to sidetrack the thread to other systems

as for pricing - from what im seeing IMHO you guys have it comparatively easier on the pocket than we do here in South Africa because besides the import duties we also have to add VAT (Value Added Tax) of 14% extra on every item here

Old 30th December 2009, 06:38   #25
naughty001

I have recently purchased a few new items to expand the functionality of my setup

so lets start with

an HD digital sattelite reciever unit which i can link to my SD digital sattelite reciver so i can watch three different programs in three different rooms all the while still recording three programs also in the PVR section of these units

My home theatre setup-pvr.jpg

opening that box reveals the following

My home theatre setup-whatsinthebox.jpg

the unwrapped unit

My home theatre setup-pvr2.jpg

the rear of the unit

My home theatre setup-rear.jpg

the 2 into 6 LNB convertor which makes my extraview process work

My home theatre setup-2to6convertor.jpg

the RF cables which attach everything together. HD decoder and SD decoder are linked via what is called a "heartbeat" cable and some of this is for that purpose

My home theatre setup-cables.jpg

moving on now to my Blu-ray player so that i move fully into the HD age, I managed to get a Pioneer BDP120 which is a temporary solution since i really want a Denon player but that costs around 10 times more than the pioneer so for now im just going to use the pioneer

My home theatre setup-pioneerbdp120.jpg

My home theatre setup-bdp1202.jpg

i also purchased two audioquest HDMI cables, 1 was for the blu-ray player and the other was for the HD decoder to link up to my reciever

My home theatre setup-hdmicables.jpg

and i also managed to get a decent pair of headphones

My home theatre setup-sennheiser380pro.jpg

this is how those bend together to fit in a carry case

My home theatre setup-380pro2.jpg

and this the cool carry case that comes bundled in the box

My home theatre setup-coolcase.jpg

My home theatre setup-coolcase2.jpg

i also got this gizmo here

My home theatre setup-avtousb.jpg

this allows you to transmit audio and video via USB so i link this up to the PC and i plugged in my SD decoder into the PC so that i can watch TV on the PC instead of getting another TV in my bedroom this saves me from having screens all over the place and the secondary output of the SD decoder is connected to the TV in my brothers room. This means that i get HD in the main system and secodary TV in my room and brothers room and all the while i can record three tv programs simultaneously and thereafter transfer those to disc by recording those onto the PC via the USB device

Old 1st February 2010, 00:23   #26
naughty001

okay i did mention Martin Logan speakers up above and my buddy who has a set is now renovating his home, so he has dropped off his set at my place for me to "run in" for him .... hehe

PROOF

My home theatre setup-martinlogans.jpg

My home theatre setup-martinlogans2.jpg

still have to hook up his speaker cable ie audioquest Mont Blanc and he has two sets of those to biwire the setup. simply the best sounding speakers ive ever had the pleasure to listen to (i have heard the bigger versions of these with krell amplifiers at a dealer but i doubt that id be able to afford that type of a setup unless i sell my car and dont have a car at all in order to buy the speakers)

i will be running these in until my buddy's renovation is completed, so i intend to really give these a critical listen while they are at my place and see if this is the direction i want to head in or whether i want to stick to conventional speakers

Old 1st February 2010, 07:00   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
okay i did mention Martin Logan speakers up above and my buddy who has a set is now renovating his home, so he has dropped off his set at my place for me to "run in" for him .... hehe

PROOF

Attachment 278844

Attachment 278845

still have to hook up his speaker cable ie audioquest Mont Blanc and he has two sets of those to biwire the setup. simply the best sounding speakers ive ever had the pleasure to listen to (i have heard the bigger versions of these with krell amplifiers at a dealer but i doubt that id be able to afford that type of a setup unless i sell my car and dont have a car at all in order to buy the speakers)

i will be running these in until my buddy's renovation is completed, so i intend to really give these a critical listen while they are at my place and see if this is the direction i want to head in or whether i want to stick to conventional speakers
Congrats. I would suggest keeping a good set of stock Optical cable handy, if you plan to have the full 5.1. (Pardon me, I did not notice the other speakers apart from the floor-standing ones).
Old 1st February 2010, 13:26   #28
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Congrats. I would suggest keeping a good set of stock Optical cable handy, if you plan to have the full 5.1. (Pardon me, I did not notice the other speakers apart from the floor-standing ones).
for now im using my entire setup as the first few posts of this thread with the Martin Logans as the fronts. I have all the relevant cables wherever needed ie coaxial digital or optical or HDMI at the relevant spots for all digital transfers and i also have excellent speaker cables as well

Old 2nd February 2010, 07:16   #29
BHPian

That is one nice and loud (by the look of it) setup. Honestly its an eyecandy for me. Hope it sounds sweet enough to make your neighbor knock on your door and request you to turn the volume down
Old 2nd February 2010, 08:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Can you distinguish between the sound of the electrostatic panel and the dynamic woofer? When I heard the ML Summit, I felt that at low volumes, the integration was okay. However the moment one turns up the volume a bit, everything fell apart and left a lot to be desired. There were integration problems between the bass module and the panel - the panel felt way faster than the bass module which was not dynamic enough.

I'm pretty much sure the electronics were fine - they were all Mark Levinson.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks