Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 09:57   #1
BHPian

Possible motherboard problem !

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario for over 7 years. Recently, the PC refused to come on. Opened it and found that there was no power to the motherboard or HDD. Suspected the SMPS and replaced it with a new one. My old SMPS was a 250W and it was replaced with a 400W one, since a 250W was not available.

After the SMPS was replaced, I was able to observe the fan on top of the processor to be running fine and also the HDD (can feel the motor on the HDD running). But there is absolutely no life on the monitor. I have verified all the connections and seem to be ok.

Am I looking at a possible motherboard which has kicked the bucket too?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th July 2009, 10:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

1) Take the Bios cell out.
2) Remove power connector from SMPS. This means that AC supply will not be given to SMPS.
3) Press power button on cabinet for around 30 seconds. This is done to drain capacitors.
4) Put in BIOS cell and reconnect power code to SMPS. Try to start the machine.

If the display comes in, its good or your mobo has some issue.

Exactly similar was case with my project team member's ( can I use more similes ) machine, the BIOS trick did not work, I realized its mobo issue.
Old 26th July 2009, 11:31   #3
BHPian

Tried it out, but nothing on the monitor. So I guess i have to go in for a motherboard change.

Thanks
Old 26th July 2009, 12:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Try resetting the "CMOS clear" jumper on your motherboard. Read manuals to find that jumper. Many a time, it has simply been that and clearing the CMOS has fixed the same problem that you're having.
Old 26th July 2009, 13:00   #5
BHPian

Also if you are having a VGA card, eject it out of the slot and re-insert it again. If you are having on-board video, the above does not apply.

Do the same for RAM sticks as well.

If the motherboard is dusty, vacuum it lightly. Use a brush tool for the vacuuming.

Discharge yourself by touching the PC case (earthed) before doing any of the above

Do you hear any BEEPS when you power ON?
Old 26th July 2009, 16:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario for over 7 years.
Am I looking at a possible motherboard which has kicked the bucket too?

Thanks in advance.
Dude
it's 7 year old, it has lived its life, i would strongly recommend you that until you have reason to carry on with it, dont spend too much on getting some new stuff for that. it would have a RD or DDR ram which is too expensive now. the current new mobo will not support your processors and the list is on.

try some housekeeping job and if the machine does not return to life, i would suggest you to get another one.
Old 26th July 2009, 16:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Also if you are having a VGA card, eject it out of the slot and re-insert it again. If you are having on-board video, the above does not apply.
I thought of the same, but an add on card 7 years ago was not a high possibility. Hence replied as if its onboard graphics.
Old 26th July 2009, 16:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

when SMPS die, there is often collateral damage
Old 26th July 2009, 21:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
when SMPS die, there is often collateral damage
The thread starter has mentioned that his HDD was showing signs of life. I hope HDD are are not affected and he is able to recover the data. Its best to take out data from that drive. Also dont try to boot the PC now again and again.

In case of my project team member ( ) PC's case, she put in RAM and this happened. The SMPS is still fine.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:04   #10
BHPian

VGA card is on-board. I have removed everything, dusted it, cleaned it with alcohol, blow dried it. It didn't work.

The HDD's seems to be working but I am yet to really check for my data. I will hook it to another machine and check.

Even if I have to go in for a mother board change, I will have to go for a new processor + RAM. My motherboard is way too old to find an exact replacement.

Thanks,
Old 27th July 2009, 11:16   #11
BHPian

Are there any beeps ? That can indicate who the culprit is. Also try doing this, Remove RAM modules and clean the golden connectors with a cloth and also dust the slots on motherboard.
If this doesn't work, there is a strong possibility that the VGA is the culprit,since yours is onboard, I am afraid this means changing the motherboard. It is better to go in for a cheap mobo+cpu+ram combo. There are tons of options available.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
VGA card is on-board. I have removed everything, dusted it, cleaned it with alcohol, blow dried it. It didn't work.

The HDD's seems to be working but I am yet to really check for my data. I will hook it to another machine and check.

Even if I have to go in for a mother board change, I will have to go for a new processor + RAM. My motherboard is way too old to find an exact replacement.

Thanks,
Remove all connections, connect power to MB only, connect KB +monitor and then switch it on. If you dont have on board speaker connect the cabinet speaker and let us know the beep codes.
If the display does not come then remove the MB keep it on on a non conductive surface and power it on. Most likely the display comes.

If all these fails i can refer a good MB repair guy WHO can repair the MB. You cannot use other than Monitor if you want to upgrade that system. Let me know the exact model and serial no. of the machine i will try to get more details.

Last edited by mohang_j : 27th July 2009 at 12:14.
Old 27th July 2009, 19:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

what about the ram.?? have you checked it.
Old 28th July 2009, 09:58   #14
BHPian

Quick update on the experiments suggested.

01) There are no beeps when turned on. To really check for the beeps, I had removed the RAM and turned it on. There were beeps which disappeared when I put back the RAM.

02) Removed the RAM, cleaned it, dusted it. Still no sign of life. RAM seems fine. I have used the same RAM in another PC and seems to be working fine.

Finally I turned on the monitor and disconnected the monitor cable that is connected to the PC. The monitor displayed "no input signal". I feel this kind of confirms that monitor is also fine and culprit is the motherboard.

Please let me know if you have some suggestions.

Thanks
Old 28th July 2009, 12:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Did you try removing the jumper? It has happened to me before on 5-6 year old motherboards, and this has somehow fixed it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks