Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 22:21   #31
BHPian

Hi guys,
I'm in search for a CDMA handset in the range of 8-10k. Can fellow Bhpians suggest a good phone?
Old 19th September 2014, 09:20   #32
BHPian

Re: CDMA : Phones, compatibility and so on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Finally, there are plentiful official options for high-end CDMA smartphones (link)!

I got the HTC One dual-sim (CDMA & GSM) from Reliance. Thought of leaving a quick review in case it helps other CDMA users.
Just wanted to know whether the Reliance CDMA sim card was a nano card or was it cut to fit into the nano card slot?

I am going for a one year zero plan on my HTC one e8 dual sim and they say that they will cut an ordinary card to fit it into the nano sim slot. My phone manual says that might be harmful to the device.

If they supplied a proper nano card to you, I will insist on the same.

thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 10:27   #33
BHPian

After 10 long years, I have decided to move out of Reliance CDMA. Voice quality is unbeatable, but for past 1 year, network in my area is quite bad. It keeps on fluctuating. I have 2 CDMA connections in my home, both are having bad connectivity. Whoever calls me, has to try couple of times. 1st attempt definitely will be not reachable. I gave complaints couple of times, but nothing improved. Probably number of users are less in that area. To add to this, they started closing almost all Reliance Web world's. In Bangalore, only one is present in Malleshwaram. So I thought its best to move out now.

BTW, I started using Motorola Droid Razr M, Verizon unlocked handset for past 8 months. Its simply awesome, best available set for CDMA in that price range I would say. I bought it through Ebay for 15k. Luckily it was unlocked for GSM/LTE as well. So I can continue using this on my new AIRTEL network.
Old 19th September 2014, 11:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Why doesn't Reliance and TATA market their CDMA networks anymore?
Old 19th September 2014, 21:04   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The perception that the CDMA network is better is therefore probably one of personal experience at your location.
Ah, probably. But no GSM network catches at my place, while all CDMA networks do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
Just wanted to know whether the Reliance CDMA sim card was a nano card or was it cut to fit into the nano card slot?
It was a micro-SIM; no cutting or any jugaad.
Old 19th September 2014, 21:15   #36
Team-BHP Support

I had to reluctantly port Tata Indicom's fantastic connection for AirTel (used by my mother for the past 5+ years) Primary reason being no network at few places (my native or any slightly off-beaten place) & no handsets (budget) available from major handset manufacturers.

But whenever there was network, there was no congestion either ways and voice was crisp.
Old 21st September 2014, 01:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I had to reluctantly port Tata Indicom's fantastic connection for AirTel (used by my mother for the past 5+ years) Primary reason being no network at few places (my native or any slightly off-beaten place) & no handsets (budget) available from major handset manufacturers.

But whenever there was network, there was no congestion either ways and voice was crisp.
At some point in time there were tough decisions to make like port out to alternative GSM networks available. Now the scenario seems opposite. The craze for 4G LTE that is being launched by Reliance has already received good response. But since 2012 there have been a pool of CDMA smartphones to suit any budget. Reliance's pre-programmed Non-SIM handset system has been stopped now and any US made phone supports Reliance, Tata Indicom and MTS networks on normal CDMA SIM cards. The 3.1 mbps 3G EvDo data plans are awesome starting from as less as Rs 94 for 1 Gb. Now most CDMA phones are global from Samsung to HTC to Motorola. Reliance is also officially selling these high-end smartphones online as carpet development of their CDMA range. The reason for low signal in some areas is that these networks have passed a directive that wherever there are less active users on that particular cellsite, the tower engineer is not supplied with necessary network maintenance hardware. Even in low signal states, CDMA fingerprint penetrates multi-fold. This is simply to cut down on operational costs. Low users in some fringe pockets are because of gigantic port out since the government introduced porting facility. HD Voice over LTE (VoLTE) is a long-term strategy planned by Reliance GIO but 4G SIM cards for data will roll out pretty soon. Tata Indicom is also into heavy losses but they have started EvDo Rev. B data in some cities which takes CDMA data rates to 14 mbps on existing rates.
Old 21st September 2014, 09:37   #38
BANNED

Quote:
It was a micro-SIM; no cutting or any jugaad.
When I had a RUIM it was regular size as a sim was. I have a feeling that Reliance is not too keen on the CDMA phone services, but I am not too sure how Jio will change things.
Old 25th November 2014, 12:27   #39
BHPian

Quote:

What I like:

Always in range. CDMA is unbeatable for network coverage. I live right by the beach; CDMA works like a breeze here (GSM = poor network). Basements, elevators...you name it, a CDMA phone is always reachable.
Like you, I am a CDMA lover too, and have been with Reliance for over 12 years now. Had a lot of frustrating times when there used to be no good handsets around, but I held on to it.
But things aren't the same now, the focus on working on their CDMA network has helped us.

I got myself a HTC One E8; I must say, this phone is made like a gun!
All the points you mentioned about your device hold good here too, but I have a polycarbonate body, hence the heat dissipation is not that obvious.

Yes, the phone is reachable anywhere. If I use my phone in the elevators, people try checking signal bars on their GSM phones
And in Bangalore, it's EvDo-rev.B - connectivity and speeds, both are flawless!
Hope, it all remains good now.
Old 2nd December 2015, 17:48   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Am going to have to let go of CDMA soon. Planning a port back to GSM.

Main reason is that Reliance is simply not investing in their CDMA network. It's going from bad to worse where I am. Whereas before I could roam around the house as if I'm using a cordless phone, now, there are many dead network spots.

Other reasons:

- 4G arrives in Mumbai. Reliance CDMA has no answer.

- Can't use call & data together. Thus, if I'm streaming music and someone calls, it doesn't resume seamlessly. Same reason TrueCaller works only on WiFi.

- The usual CDMA problems with international SMS & international roaming.

Am trying out a pre-paid Airtel SIM. So far, so good. If it's good for another week, I'm ditching CDMA.
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:55   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Main reason is that Reliance is simply not investing in their CDMA network. It's going from bad to worse where I am.
The death of Reliance CDMA - Full Article.

Quote:
Reliance Communications (RCOM) will shut down its CDMA services in all of its telecom circles starting yesterday except in 4 circles of Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka, in a bid to migrate CDMA customers to its 4G network, RTN Asia reported. In these 4 circles, RCOM will migrate its CDMA subscribers onto its GSM network.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks