Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 22:07   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Thanks Comrade. That was one detailed explanation.

But, getting the S-Video to 1 RCA cable itself is so difficult in the market, i don't know how i can get one specifying the laptop brand.

I agree.

I know, how dumb of me to think that HDMI to Component works. I have left that path now. I have an other laptop which has S-Video out. Now the discussion is about S-Video to 1RCA and i need to find these cables in the market. And i should be good with another set of stereo to 2RCA to carry the audio from laptop to TV.

But it beats me how in the market they have hundreds of cables of HDMI => Component. May be coz of people like me.
it should be easily available in Lamington Road, the electronic hub in mumbai. You will surely get it at your city's similar hub. cheers.
Old 15th February 2012, 14:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Laptop HDMI ==> RCA Television

Sorry to be jump-starting a really old thread, but I'm having a slight issue.
I have a Dell Studio 15 laptop, and we recently purchased a Sony Bravia 32" LED 1080p. I tried connecting the HDMI cable to the laptop, but the TV wouldn't reproduce the monitor. Is there anything I need to do extra? Tried the projector/duplicate/extend settings, but to no avail. Hope the gurus here can help. Thanks in advance.
Regards, Shamik
Old 15th February 2012, 14:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
Sorry to be jump-starting a really old thread, but I'm having a slight issue.
I have a Dell Studio 15 laptop, and we recently purchased a Sony Bravia 32" LED 1080p. I tried connecting the HDMI cable to the laptop, but the TV wouldn't reproduce the monitor. Is there anything I need to do extra? Tried the projector/duplicate/extend settings, but to no avail. Hope the gurus here can help. Thanks in advance.
Regards, Shamik
It should be a straight forward procedure. I did this on my sister's tv. Compaq presario and LG LCD TV. Connected the HDMI cable and changed the "Display" from "Screen Resolution" options in the desktop.

Since this thread is back to life, I would like to ask a question.

I have a 29 inch Philips TV with no S video output or HDMI port. I have an Acer laptop. I bought VGA cable that's used to connect the laptop to tv. I tried connecting it to the TV but there's no output.
Please help. Here's the pic of the cable that I bought. Not sure if this is the cable to be used but the seller on ebay confirmed it can be connected to a TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Laptop HDMI ==> RCA Television-vgato3rgb6ft.jpg  

Old 15th February 2012, 15:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
It should be a straight forward procedure. I did this on my sister's tv. Compaq presario and LG LCD TV. Connected the HDMI cable and changed the "Display" from "Screen Resolution" options in the desktop.

Since this thread is back to life, I would like to ask a question.

I have a 29 inch Philips TV with no S video output or HDMI port. I have an Acer laptop. I bought VGA cable that's used to connect the laptop to tv. I tried connecting it to the TV but there's no output.
Please help. Here's the pic of the cable that I bought. Not sure if this is the cable to be used but the seller on ebay confirmed it can be connected to a TV.
Thanks a ton, naveen! It worked perfectly!
As far as your problem is concerned, the colors on the RGB output look different to the ones we get on TVs here. Make sure you connect the corresponding correct extensions.
Old 15th February 2012, 17:16   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton, naveen! It worked perfectly!
As far as your problem is concerned, the colors on the RGB output look different to the ones we get on TVs here. Make sure you connect the corresponding correct extensions.
Glad to hear that it worked fine.
As for my case, I read in many forums that the different colors can be used with existing TV connections but didnt help. As most of my movies are in mkv format, am waiting for the right option. If this wont work, my option is to get a B-ray that supports mkv. Or is there any cheap alternative to this. The B-ray player that I found is pretty cheap. 6900/- from Samsung.
Old 15th February 2012, 18:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to hear that it worked fine.
As for my case, I read in many forums that the different colors can be used with existing TV connections but didnt help. As most of my movies are in mkv format, am waiting for the right option. If this wont work, my option is to get a B-ray that supports mkv. Or is there any cheap alternative to this. The B-ray player that I found is pretty cheap. 6900/- from Samsung.
Before you do that, I would suggest you try another cable that is coded with the yellow, red and white outputs. If that doesn't work, then there's always the Blu-Ray player option.
P.S. 7k sounds rather steep, considering prices have come down. You should get them within 5.
shamik.bose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 19:54   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Before you do that, I would suggest you try another cable that is coded with the yellow, red and white outputs. If that doesn't work, then there's always the Blu-Ray player option.
P.S. 7k sounds rather steep, considering prices have come down. You should get them within 5.
Ya. Will try that option too. I thought 7k for a B-ray player is cheap. Normal DVD player is around 2.5k. But player that supports MKV files are usually expensive. Anyways, that's one option if the cables dont work.
Thanks dude
Old 15th February 2012, 21:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
You would require a media player between, your analog TV and the laptop.

Media Players Overview
JMaruru is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 23:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Ya. Will try that option too. I thought 7k for a B-ray player is cheap. Normal DVD player is around 2.5k. But player that supports MKV files are usually expensive. Anyways, that's one option if the cables dont work.
Thanks dude
A simple cable would not work.It needs a converter box to convert from VGA to the Composite video (Yellow RCA connector)
Check this page for a detailed answer:
Connecting VGA port on Computer to Composite Audio/Video Inputs on TV

How about buying a media player? WD TV Mini plays most of the formats, from HDD/Network. WD TV Product Update
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 09:51   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys. So guess the cable alone wont work.
So which would be the best option
Entry level B-ray player (7k from Samsung), 29" LCD tv or the media player. I have seen these media players before but never researched on it. Is it expensive and worth the money I chip in? Kindly let me know as I have tons of movies in MKV format
Old 16th February 2012, 09:58   #26
BHPian

Re: Now it is about S-Video => 1RCA

Quote:
But, getting the S-Video to 1 RCA cable itself is so difficult in the market, i don't know how i can get one specifying the laptop brand.
Now the discussion is about S-Video to 1RCA and i need to find these cables in the market. And i should be good with another set of stereo to 2RCA to carry the audio from laptop to TV.
You will not get S-video to 1RCA, very difficult. Even I tried for a long time. You will only get 3RCA out of which yellow one is Video and the other two are left and right audio, You can ignore the audio cables and leave them hanging.

What I had done was a DIY cable . I had a HP dv6500 series laptop with S-video out. I literally had to hunt for the tech specs of the s-video pinout config for my laptop from HP. Once I had the pinout config, I simply purchased some connectors from the market and self made the cable. It worked but my craftsmanship was not perfect so it would keep disconnecting and I had a hard time soldering it back again and again. At times the cable would refuse to work , but many times it used to work also.

My simple advise - What exactly are you after? What is it that you wish to do with your TV and laptop? Is it worth all these efforts? Even if you get this working, once the initial excitement wears off, I doubt that you are going to use it. Just consider this - I also have a 32" LCD which I have connected with my laptop (just for the heck of it). I purchased a three meter HDMI cable to do this setup. It works beautifully but I hardly ever use it. Reason- I prefer to sit back at least 5-6 feet away from the TV(recommended distance) and at that distance , any resolution greater than 1024x768 seems too small. Even I find 1024x768 to be not very comfortable at that distance. I have to strain my eyes to make out the words (note-my vision is perfectly normal). Your TV is a CRT so that means more radiation from closer distances.

So think about all this before you take the plunge.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
So think about all this before you take the plunge.
You are replying to a post of 2009. It has been couple of years since i took the plunge, and bought a media player to connect my old TV to my external HDD. Earlier to that was trying with various combinations of S-Video to RCA and HDMI to RCA cables.

Now about media players, these would be mostly neccesary for your vintage TV sets. The latest TV sets come with built-in media players. Samsung seems to be the best, as it plays the most video formats. If you want to buy a stand alone media player, my money goes to WDTV. But there are many a brands in the market, including some chinese sets. Check out the video formats it can play, before you opt for one.

Last edited by JMaruru : 16th February 2012 at 10:40.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
You are replying to a post of 2009. It has been couple of years since i took the plunge, and bought a media player to connect my old TV to my external HDD. Earlier to that was trying with various combinations of S-Video to RCA and HDMI to RCA cables.
oops! sorry didnt notice that! just bumped into this thread and replied!
Thanks for pointing out.
Old 16th February 2012, 13:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now about media players, these would be mostly neccesary for your vintage TV sets. The latest TV sets come with built-in media players. Samsung seems to be the best, as it plays the most video formats. If you want to buy a stand alone media player, my money goes to WDTV. But there are many a brands in the market, including some chinese sets. Check out the video formats it can play, before you opt for one.
Thanks. So here's what I have:
1) 29" Philips TV with no HDMI/USB port. Just got AV out.
2) Acer Laptop (Aspire 4741z)
3) Toshiba 1TB HDD

Now here's what I want:
I want to connect my laptop or HDD to the TV so that I can watch films. Most of the movies (say around 600 movies) are in MKV formats, MP4 and AVI.

Kindly let me know the best option for this to play in my old tv. I had planned a B-ray player which is around 7k. Since I wont be using any discs, I feel that this player will be a waste. Media player seems good enough since I see that there are many other features when using media players and also it's of the same price range.
Also which brand to go for and the price range/features.

Thanks in advance.
Naveen
Old 16th February 2012, 13:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I have shortlisted few media players. Let me know which is the best based on my requirements.

1) SONY SMP N200 - 3D HD Media Player HDD MKV XVID DIVX 1080p | eBay

2) http://www.ebay.in/itm/Asus-OPlay-Mi...item3a6f592ce0

3) Android 2.3 TV Box HDD Media Player USB HDMI 1080P H.264 MPEG1-4 XviD Divx | eBay

4) HD Media Player HDD 3.5" 1080p MKV H264 MP4 AVI HDMI | eBay

5) Media Player MKV H264 HD 1080p Portable USB HDMI VGA | eBay

6) Measy A1HD Full 1080P Mini Media Player Mkv, H.264 HDMI | eBay

Options 5 and 6 looks good since it's below 3k and option 5 comes with free HDMI cable.

Let me know your thoughts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks