Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Nintendo DS Lite / Nintendo DSi

I intend to buy Nintendo DS Lite or Nintendo DSi handheld gaming console for this Christmas or in April when my son turns 9. I would like to know if anybody on the forum already have Nintendo DS Lite or Nintendo DSi. Also I understand that there is a wide range of games for this handheld, but, are they available in India and roughly at what cost?

I was considering either a Nintendo or PSP, but after lot of feedbacks and reviews on various forums, looks like Nintendo is a favourite choice for most.

looking forward to your response,

takecare and drive safely
Old 20th November 2009, 15:42   #2
BHPian

If your son likes racing games and stuff stick with the psp go. It has better screen , better graphics and better games.
If he likes detective games/brain training and mario kart like stuff DS Lite / Dsi is better. nintendo has racing games but with a small screen it is not that good.

I own a DS lite here in UK hence cannot comment on the cost of games in india.
Old 20th November 2009, 19:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post
I was considering either a Nintendo or PSP, but after lot of feedbacks and reviews on various forums, looks like Nintendo is a favourite choice for most.

looking forward to your response,

I own both PSP as well as nintendo DS lite.

Few points on PSP:
1. Good build quality.
2. Mature games (I like games on PSP than games on DS)
3. Homebrew capable (after hacking the console ie).
4. Full portable media player capability.

Few points on DS:
1. Loads of games. (especially good for small kids)
2. Good battery life.
Old 20th November 2009, 22:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have a PSP and DS Lite. Like someone else has mentioned if you like good graphics then psp. If you want fun then DS.

Don't worry about games, buy a micro sd card and one of those special carts and you can d/l stuff off the net.
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:37   #5
BHPian

Thanks everyone. Looks like PSP is a choice when it comes to graphics. I have seen PSP at a local shop here and I agree that Graphics and other ergonomics was pretty good.

I have never seen DS Lite and don't know how it feels. So thanks for your inputs and appreciate your valued time and efforts for sending in responses.

takecare & drive safely
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:24   #6
BHPian

I just got a DS lite for my 5 yr old son(got my friend to get it from US). The console is really good with some good graphics and stuff. I got three gaming catridges along with that..but I have no clue as to how and where i can get these gaming cards for additional games. Also i read that games can be downloaded from net. Any help will be appreciated..The games that i have right now are not that great.
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
roughly at what cost?
If you buy Nintendo DS lite (NOT Nintendo DSi), it has a GBA slot also. GBA games are dirt cheap (like 200 - 300). But they are so last generation (GBA console itself is almost 8+ years old), you may not enjoy the game graphics. But i am sure you will enjoy the game play aspect of each GBA game.
Down side with Nintendo DS Lite is, it lacks a camera (do compare both features) blah blah. Nintendo DSi has web store, where you can download games from their online store. Not sure of their price though.

Quote:
I have never seen DS Lite and don't know how it feels. So thanks for your inputs and appreciate your valued time and efforts for sending in responses.
DS Lite is smaller and lighter than normal PSP (not PSP Go).
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Rotorhead,

You need a micro sd card (I have 2GB one in mine) and one of these cards:

DealExtreme: $18.49 SuperCard DS-One Multimedia Card (English SDHC Version)

There are cheaper ones available but this is one of the better built cards.

Then google frozen roms.
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:54   #9
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nintendo DS Lite / Nintendo DSi

Folks, planning to buy a Nintendo DS for my 7 year old daughter (budget upto 10k). Welcome your suggestions on model based on features, availability of games in India. Also, the stores where it is available in Bangalore would help.

If I can get someone to buy it in the US, is it worth (big price difference?)? And will there be any issues finding the games to buy in India ?
Regards NPV

Last edited by NPV : 3rd July 2011 at 13:16.
Old 4th July 2011, 18:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

@NPV, Nintendo has released the next version of DS called the 3DS. It offers a 3D screen without the use of specs. It will be costlier in India, but in US you can avail it for 250$.

It has better graphics and it is backwards compatible. It offers to take 3D pictures and offers a host of activities to be done.

3D effect has been debated as everyone is not comfortable with it, especially not recommended for small children.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 19:53   #11
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
@NPV, Nintendo has released the next version of DS called the 3DS. It offers a 3D screen without the use of specs. It will be costlier in India, but in US you can avail it for 250$.

It has better graphics and it is backwards compatible. It offers to take 3D pictures and offers a host of activities to be done.

3D effect has been debated as everyone is not comfortable with it, especially not recommended for small children.
Thanks @_ravan.
Any idea about the non-3DS models ? Which one would you recommend and any idea where it's available in Bangalore ?

Last edited by NPV : 4th July 2011 at 19:54.
Old 4th July 2011, 20:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks @_ravan.
Any idea about the non-3DS models ? Which one would you recommend and any idea where it's available in Bangalore ?
In non-3DS models, there are two - DSi and DSi XL. Since its for your kid, go for the DSi as DSi XL is nothing but a larger version of DSi offering bigger screen size.

Price wise there is a difference of 2k INR between them.

Regarding availability in Bangalore, sorry I have no idea :(
Old 28th July 2011, 15:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

For the ones who are interested in getting a 3DS, Nintendo has announced price cuts for the system from August 12.
Old 28th July 2011, 19:32   #14
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
For the ones who are interested in getting a 3DS, Nintendo has announced price cuts for the system from August 12.
Unfortunately they don't have authorised dealerships/stores in India so you're going to end up not only paying more (than what it costs in the US for example) but also you don't get any warranty, etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks