Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 13:38   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
@aaggoswami
Should I enter an Administrator password? Or leave it blank?
I always prefer to have an Administrator account with the password attached. I dont like all and sundry to access my PC. Besides the default Administrator account, i have another account with Admin privileges which i have created and use on my home PC. This has admin rights to install and remove software, but cannot edit any registry settings.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:52   #32
BANNED

Quote:
@wildon:
No that wasn't complex. Just a few doubts.
  • If I do delete my current user account, will it affect any softwares I have recently installed? Like the Messengers, etc.
  • What is restricted for the limited profile user account?
  • Isn't there any way I can retain the current account AND have the limited account log in automatically?

@aaggoswami
Softwares wont be get effected this you can verify by checking through Administrator account.

The restriction in Limited is you can not install/uninstall/delete/modify anything in your computer from this. If you want to install you have to log in through Administrator account. so the automatic installation from any website/source like you said face book tool bar can be avoided. Limited account is more safe for web browsing.

You can keep both the account but as you said you want to see the desktop with out entering anything thats why i suggested to remove one account and not to use any password on the Limited account.

Its better to keep password on any account.

Last edited by wildon : 26th November 2009 at 14:56.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@aaggoswami
Its better to have password any given day. I always prefer one. But the step I was talking about is entering password during installation of OS.

Currently when you press ctrl+alt+del, log in with user name as Administrator and then enter password.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Tried that, works well and is very strict. But didn't enforce it as of yet. Deleted the new limited user account.

The current user account is downloading a Top Gear video. If I delete the account, the download will be lost. Will wait for the download to be complete and then delete the user account.

So just to clear it up:
  • If ever I want to install/uninstall something I need to be logged in as Administrator.
  • If I'm logged in as a Limited account, will I be barred from editing/deleting existing files? Will this be true for the data on D: & E: too?
Old 26th November 2009, 17:30   #35
BANNED

^^

1. Yes . you need to logged in as Administrator
2. You are barred to make any changes, Frankly i have not tried in other drives . Try to delete a file and see

Here is a nice thing to read on:

Limited User and Administrator Accounts - Microsoft Security
Old 27th November 2009, 00:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Off-late I'm having a serious problem with my PC. The screen suddenly goes blank after a few minutes of work. The CPU doesn't respond to any key. So i have to do a forced shutdown or press the restart button. What could be the problem?
My LCD is working perfectly fine. Is there some problem with the video adapter? I have a pretty old motherboard(Intel 845, Pentium 4).
Old 27th November 2009, 00:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Does the monitor light just blink as if its not recieving any signal? I had this problem in my older PC. But in my case, the system wouldn't even start. However it started with the PC hanging very very frequently with memory dumps. Source was the RAM, had cleaned it and put it back. Later it was the motherboard itself. Sold it off, and got a new one.
Old 27th November 2009, 10:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the monitor light just blink as if its not recieving any signal? I had this problem in my older PC. But in my case, the system wouldn't even start. However it started with the PC hanging very very frequently with memory dumps. Source was the RAM, had cleaned it and put it back. Later it was the motherboard itself. Sold it off, and got a new one.
Yep, you're right. The monitor status light just blinks. I cleaned the RAM and put it back again. But still, the problem persists. I guess there's a problem with my motherboard then.
Old 27th November 2009, 12:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

In that case, its time to upgrade CPU + Mobo + RAM. Would cost around 12k.
Old 28th November 2009, 02:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Off-late I'm having a serious problem with my PC. The screen suddenly goes blank after a few minutes of work. The CPU doesn't respond to any key. So i have to do a forced shutdown or press the restart button. What could be the problem?
My LCD is working perfectly fine. Is there some problem with the video adapter? I have a pretty old motherboard(Intel 845, Pentium 4).
check if all the fans are working. Hows the temp of heatsink on cpu.

also check the SMPS.
Old 28th November 2009, 09:21   #41
BHPian

Why dont you just start the computer in safe mode. We can confirm whether it is a problem with the OS installation /virus infection.
Old 28th November 2009, 10:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
check if all the fans are working. Hows the temp of heatsink on cpu.

also check the SMPS.
All fans working. Temp is also normal in the CPU. SMPS seems to be working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewpn View Post
Why dont you just start the computer in safe mode. We can confirm whether it is a problem with the OS installation /virus infection.
Will try doing this also.

But sometimes my comp works fine for 6-8hrs! But if the monitor goes blank even once in between, i.e, it stops getting any signal from the CPU, this will keep on happening every 10-15min.
I wonder if there's any problem with the RAM which i had got just last year. 1GB DDR2 333Mhz
Old 28th November 2009, 12:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

TheRagingBull,

Take out the CPU fan and clean it out. Had faced a similar issue where the PC stopped responding or would go for a forced reboot.

Cleaned the fan and it was back to normal.
Old 28th November 2009, 20:55   #44
BHPian

Pentium4 is notorious for high temperatures. If your cabinet is not well ventillated, temperatures will rise pretty fast leading processor overheating; which will result in system hanging. Quite possibly, you may not be able to remove the CPU fan. For testing RAM, run memtest from command window.
Old 29th November 2009, 03:49   #45
BHPian

As mentioned above, run a memtest and also clean the CPU fan. If your Cabinet has a fan, then clean its exhaust path as well. After doing all this also try to download the latest Video Drivers.

If stil lthe same issue after all this, you have to upgrade your Processor / MB / RAM.

Is it an Onborad Grapics adapter or a graphics card like Nvidia?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks