Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2009, 09:02   #1
BHPian

Rate my custom Home Theater... 175' Inches any more feedback ideas ?

Hello ,

I always think of having my own personalized home there at home and recently completed one for my own bedroom. Although it is expensive but I am satisfied with every penny spent on it.

It is a complete projection system with a HTPC ( Home theater PC Setup). Let me first discuss about few of the features ;-

1) Hardware Configuration

1) HTPC Configuration : 3 TB of space with customized open source media library software which can search imdb and other websites and automatically fetch data for the movies being downloaded and uploaded from CD's etc..

1A) 2.6 GHZ Dual Code with 8 GB RAM and 1 GB Nvdia Geforce Extreme 8800 for playing games.
2A) Media Center Remote for Pocket PC works on Wi-Fi network.
3A) Sound System 7.1 Altac Lancing with sub woofer and 6 Channel sound card.
4A) Wireless Key board and Mouse for Access from my bed in Quilt

Cost Approx : 50 Thousand

2) Projector Configuration : Sony Projector for Home Theater Entertainment 2500 Lumen.

Cost Approx : 1.50 Lac

3) Pop Corn Machine : 3 ,000

4) Special Pain for Projection Wall : 1000

Movie Database More then 2 TB of English Titles etc... Priceless

I have mounted all speaker in every corner of room and sound is exceptional...

Here comes few pictures taken from mobile... Will upload video and few high quality pics later.

Anshul
Attached Thumbnails
Rate my custom Home Theater... 175' Inches any more feedback ideas ?-dscn2371.jpg  

Rate my custom Home Theater... 175' Inches any more feedback ideas ?-dscn2368.jpg  

Rate my custom Home Theater... 175' Inches any more feedback ideas ?-dscn2364.jpg  

Rate my custom Home Theater... 175' Inches any more feedback ideas ?-dsc05314.jpg  

Rate my custom Home Theater... 175' Inches any more feedback ideas ?-dscn2283-1024x768.jpg  

Rate my custom Home Theater... 175' Inches any more feedback ideas ?-dscn2284-1024x768.jpg  

Rate my custom Home Theater... 175' Inches any more feedback ideas ?-dscn2289-1024x768.jpg  

Rate my custom Home Theater... 175' Inches any more feedback ideas ?-dscn2297-1024x768.jpg  

Rate my custom Home Theater... 175' Inches any more feedback ideas ?-dscn2298-1024x768.jpg  

Rate my custom Home Theater... 175' Inches any more feedback ideas ?-dscn2299-1024x768.jpg  

Old 13th December 2009, 10:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi, That is a pretty decent setup, few suggetions

Ensure that you have good surge protectors / UPS for the projector, the filament/bulb, if blown would cost a bomb to replace (30-40%) of the cost of the projector.

Does your system include multichannel sound processing ? e.g. Dolby etc. if not include them (i do not know how, might be by using some HW and SW).

Add a 3/4 way AV switch to include the DVD (for high quality playback) and STB (cricket matches) inputs. Ensure that the switch is of high quality, low loss.
Old 13th December 2009, 10:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get a proper DaLite or similar screen instead of projecting on the wall. The experience will be a lot lot better. You may not get 175" but the quality of the final image will be significantly higher and you'll get better contrast/colors.

Also a 1.5lac projector needs something better than an altec lansing 7.1 pc speaker.
Old 13th December 2009, 11:17   #4
BHPian

nice setup ...
When you have a PCH, who do you need a HTPC ?
What model is the PCH A110 or C200 ?

Agree with Reignofchaos, you need a good AVR and speaker system.

Btw what is the model of the Sony Projector ? and what is its native resolution?

I am in a wait n watch mode currently. The shortlisted projector on my list is "Panasonic PT-AE4000U"
its 1080p and currently available at $ 2k. Rated v. high.

-Fillmore.

Last edited by Fillmore : 13th December 2009 at 11:26.
Old 13th December 2009, 13:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Listen to reignofchaos. Bugger knows what he's talking about!

I would say you need to do two things first.

1) Sound system upgrade

2). Get a good screen.

Otherwise, you setup is very good. My dream is to have something like this one day! You are living the dream of many people
Old 13th December 2009, 14:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

You can also consider Screen Goo paint (not available in India it seems) if you dont want to part with the 175" image

Goo Systems

You absolutely need an audio setup routed via the SPDIF out of your mother board. Please also note that winXP does colorize the audio even if you use SPDIF (dont know about win7). Consider throwing your mobo out if it has realtek audio, IMO.

You may want to add a high-end audio card, a "species" that is on the verge of extinction:
PC Sound Cards

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 13th December 2009 at 14:30.
Old 13th December 2009, 19:01   #7
BHPian

With a 6 channel output, how have you connected the 7.1 speaker setup? A 6 channel output can support a 5.1 speaker system only.

And oh, the setup looks beautiful. Surely would love to have something like this in my bedroom
Old 13th December 2009, 20:06   #8
BANNED

What is the OS?

What player do you use?

Do you have a sound card? If so, which?

And what do you store the 3 TB on?

Where does wi-fi come into pic in this set up? WIre less speakers?

HDMI?
Old 14th December 2009, 00:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3 TB of space with customized open source media library software which can search imdb and other websites and automatically fetch data for the movies being downloaded and uploaded from CD's etc.
more info on these please.

thanks
Old 14th December 2009, 13:05   #10
BHPian

@ StarVegabond

Yes , I have dolby support for my system multichannel sound processing and looking for some Bose sound after some time.

For switch I am actually more interested in Movies and All but will plan to install Tata Sky or something.

@ reignofchaos
Indeed this needs some more sound but still satisfied will plan Bose Speakers after few month may be. But existing system is also giving decent output will share video.

@Fillmore
HTPC for me is ( Home Theater PC System ) I think is there any thing called as HTPC I am not sure. The model of Project I will let you know but its with 3500 Lumen and maximum supported resolution is in 20** range.

@Nikhilb2008
Thanks bro! for your suggestions , Screen is quite OK for me but I have a screen and its size is more then 175' and By mistake it is over sized and needs a replacement I will definitely look for a replacement.

@sandeepmdas
Thanks for the nice idea I am looking for this!!! Nice finding dude...

@ d3mon

With minor tweak , I have connected two speakers on one channel

@BaCkSeAtDrIVeR
OS currently I am using Vista Business

XCMP is the media system I am using , Sound Card is creative audiology

3 TB is full of more then 1300 English and around 80 Hindi movies with Action packed games , shows serials etc..

I have a wifi access point and my Pocket PC Xda Executive , is being used by me as a remote and on XBMC it works on the wi-fi (Ipaddress).

HDMI is being used by me to connect my playstation with this system

@SirAlec

I am using XBMC for the same it s a coolest thing for HTPC.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:16   #11
BHPian

Awesome

Awesome.. Thats all I can say.!
You are living my dream
Old 14th December 2009, 14:31   #12
BANNED

My question was - what is holding those 3 tb? All on a single disk? Or multple DVDs?

And have you tried a Linux based distro? As a GNU/Linux fanboy, I may be a bit too biased, but I feel that sound seems better on Linux. I frequently carry around a Debian live install on my pen drive; especially when I have to spend overnight in the office (I am working in the govt) because I simply cannot cope with the unpredictability. instability and opacity of any of the Microsoft OSes.

Colleagues gawk when same MP3s sound better on same hardware when played from linux.

Before install Linux, I suggest I you spend some time, and try booting from a live cd and play some of the titles you have.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
My question was - what is holding those 3 tb? All on a single disk? Or multple DVDs?

And have you tried a Linux based distro? As a GNU/Linux fanboy, I may be a bit too biased, but I feel that sound seems better on Linux. I frequently carry around a Debian live install on my pen drive; especially when I have to spend overnight in the office (I am working in the govt) because I simply cannot cope with the unpredictability. instability and opacity of any of the Microsoft OSes.

Colleagues gawk when same MP3s sound better on same hardware when played from linux.

Before install Linux, I suggest I you spend some time, and try booting from a live cd and play some of the titles you have.
Oh... I have 3 Hard Disks which holds all my media data and even I am in favor of Linux but personally I think Linux can be used for some serious work for movies and media Windows scores a point high because of availability of software and user friendly features ... This is the only reason that even my Mom and younger sister can start and search for the content on windows HTPC & can use my HT. Like in my case I always carry a vitual machine on my laptop and all serious stuff ( Linux ) and for rest Windows
Old 14th December 2009, 16:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
nice setup ...
When you have a PCH, who do you need a HTPC ?
What model is the PCH A110 or C200 ?

Agree with Reignofchaos, you need a good AVR and speaker system.

Btw what is the model of the Sony Projector ? and what is its native resolution?

I am in a wait n watch mode currently. The shortlisted projector on my list is "Panasonic PT-AE4000U"
its 1080p and currently available at $ 2k. Rated v. high.

-Fillmore.
For a moment even I thought he had a PCH. But he's talking about a pop corn maker .

Off topic - I just received my WDTV Live a couple of days ago. Setting it up now!
Old 14th December 2009, 16:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Off topic - I just received my WDTV Live a couple of days ago. Setting it up now!
It's -strictly speaking- not OT since the Western Digital can do almost anything that a HTPC setup can with more elan.

Congrats the_maassk, would you mind posting the price? You sourced it locally?

Also pl. refer a thread that's started by our Samurai san...Im a bit busy, otherwise I would have searched it for you.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 14th December 2009 at 16:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks