Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:13   #1
BHPian

Laptop Screen doesn't lighten up, though it's working

I have a T43 laptop, I am facing strange problem since last week.When I turn on the power the screen starts but it doesn't light up properly, I can see the Window XP logo and once it boots I can see the desktop, but it's too dark to read or use it.When I tap the lid close button number of times then some times the screen starts working otherwise it stays dark.When I manually press down the button the screen goes absolutely blank or lets dead and once i release it, then it turns on but its too dark.Today I had to fiddle with button for 30 mins, then suddenly, it lightened up. What could be the reason for such problem?what is the remedy>

The laptop is around 3.5 yrs old. the LCD it self is fine, no dead pixel what so ever.
One thing more I forgot to mention, the LCD color is quite reddish pinkish once it lightens up.after few second it turns into white.Now I am using the same pc, the screen is working fine since last 7 hours.
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:34   #2
BHPian

Looks like LCD is gone. Quick test. While booting up go to bios settings and observe whether you get the same problem. If yes, then get the LCD checked.

Also, you can try connecting an external monitor and see how it works.
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:34   #3
BHPian

Had this problem i my dell vostro 2500. It was just 20days old when i had this problem. The roblem was with the display. The service guy changed the display and everything worked fine after that. This might ne the prblem in your case too.
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Your display is fine.

The backlight/backlight inverter is dead.

The backlight is a thin CFL light whick lights up your screen and often goes wrong. Replacements are available. This can be repaired provided you find someone with the skill to do it.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

My roommate's hp laptop had the same issue. Seems like a loose contact somewhere. But, since his laptop was under warranty, got the whole screen changed and it was fixed.
Old 2nd January 2010, 08:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Your display is fine.

The backlight/backlight inverter is dead.

The backlight is a thin CFL light whick lights up your screen and often goes wrong. Replacements are available. This can be repaired provided you find someone with the skill to do it.
I agree. Works out much cheaper than actually replacing the LCD. The screens are very expensive. My kid damaged the screen of my cheap asus eee pc, and the screen replacement is coming upto Rs8000+
Old 2nd January 2010, 08:47   #7
BHPian

I guess your video card gone kaput. Recently my friend got the same problem, the video card is replaced and "all is well" now.
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:22   #8
BHPian

It's not related to the button, As I thought earlier,Restarted the laptop, without even closing the lid,again there was not display.So the culprit is not the lid button, might be something else.
This laptop has a SXGA+ screen.Normal xga screen is availble for 5500 new.that amount is too much for old laptop.:-(
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Get your LCD Inverter checked, It needs an replacement. LCD module looks fine to me as per problem explained.
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:04   #10
BHPian

What could be the reason for screen to be in reddish/pinkish color tone for first few seconds, then it lights fine.

Last edited by Gill : 2nd January 2010 at 10:20.
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Most probably you will NOT have to replace the display, it might be the CCFL or the CCFL inverter. If you give it for servicing they will say its a display problem and will tell you that LCD will have to be changed. But don't give in to it and ask them to check the backlight and its inverter.

I had a similar problem with my old compaq couple of years ago and the inverter was the issue, the laptop was 5 years old when it happened. Inverters are known to bust in old laptops.
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Faulty Inverter !! Consult a known LCD / Laptop technician unless you don't want to be charged extra.
Old 2nd January 2010, 11:37   #13
BHPian

Sounds like a dead CCFL to me. There are quite few guides available online to fix it.

Cheers
Old 2nd January 2010, 11:47   #14
BHPian

The issue should be with the LCD Inverter. The inverter for T43 will cost you around Rs1000. You will get it even cheaper in ebay.

First, get it checked by someone who knows the stuff and make sure it is the inverter. I believe the issue is only with the inverter. If it is the CCFL, it cost a bit extra but still <2000.
Then google for the T43 service manual and buy the inverter from ebay or whichever place you are comfortable with.
Once the item reaches, replace the part by following the service manual. It is quite easy and I have done it for my old Compaq. It is not worth to take it to authorised service center for an old laptop (IBM T series are a real work horse and never really dies).

Last edited by Holyghost : 2nd January 2010 at 11:51.
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:22   #15
BHPian

Went to the Lenovo service center, they checked it and said that problem might be with LCD or Motherboard.I asked is it Inverter or CCFL issue?Then they might have sensed, that I am aware of the problem to an extent.They didn't specified any problem area.They suggested, that I should opt for extended warranty for 9k, all the repair work cost for LCD will be inculed in it and you PC will be covered for an year.
Second option, went to local repair guy, after listening to problem, he straight way said, it's an inverter problem, it's a two hour job and will cost 1500/-

Best way out?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks