Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 12:40   #1
BHPian

"Kirr-kirr" in speakers

Hi guys!
I don't know if this is where this thread goes, but anyways the mods are free to move it any where they want.
So, I own these 2.1ch Multimedia speakers but there is a problem. The right side output socket is somewhere to be blamed for a "kirr kirr" noise in the speakers. The speaker itself works fine when I connect it to the left output so it's just a problem with the connector. Moreover, sometimes there is no soud at all coming from this socket irrespective of which speaker is connected to it.
What could be wrong?
I opened up the sub where the socket is but everything inside is glued, so what do I do now?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 28th February 2010 at 12:48.
Old 28th February 2010, 13:01   #2
BHPian

I think the stereo jack that plugs into your PC is not making proper contact. It may be at the other end also where it connects to the sub-woofer. Just try to plug it in and out at both ends/rotate it slightly and check if proper contact is established.

Usually my right channel sound sometimes disappears or becomes noisy. I just rotate the jack to the PC a little and it is resolved. I do not know whether a new cable will resolve the problem once for all. You have to try.
Old 28th February 2010, 15:10   #3
BHPian

Okay, I got you and the speakers are firing up. But, there still remains this "kirr-kirr" noise specifically in this right side speaker (which wasn't firing earlier), how do I correct it?
Old 28th February 2010, 19:03   #4
BHPian

It is now established that it is only a contact problem. Next option will be to reverse the cable (PC end to the woofer and woofer end to the PC) and try.

If the problem still persists, buy a new cable - a good quality one, preferably gold-plated - and try.

Thats all you can do all by yourself. If the problem still persists, it would mean that the springy contacts inside the socket have lost their tension and changing the socket in the motherboard or the woofer, as the case may be is the only solution and this can be done only by a professional service guy. Good luck.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

issue with the speaker drivers?
else its a contact issue
Old 28th February 2010, 19:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Try rotating the jack (both the PC end as well as the Creative end) - just twirl it with your fingers. At one point the kirr-kirr should go off.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:43   #7
Team-BHP Support

I once had a small piece of metal stuck to the magnet inside the speaker that was making a kirr kirr sound.

Just check that as well if the jack thing does not solve it.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:48   #8
BHPian

It is good idea to uninstall and then reinstall the sound drivers as suggested by greenhorn. Sometimes the least expected - which we normally tend to overlook based on personal experiences and line of thoughts -, can be the cause.
Old 4th March 2010, 00:28   #9
BHPian

Well, I am not using the speakers with the pc but with my tv using a y splitter cable through my DTH. Now, I tried to interchange the channels but still the speaker would sound like kirr kirr when voices were played in the audio. Also, this noise in voices keeps coming and going every now and then. What to do?
Old 4th March 2010, 03:02   #10
BHPian

try using another cable which is 2 RCA to 2 RCA i think this is what you would be having for input on backside of your speaker/woofer

Else
looks like the Audio Gain from STB is too High, try lowering the volume(using dth remote) and check if its still there.

if you have any small noise filter available(only a few D.I.Y. insects can have this)
to test use the input through it.

Try changing to another power outlet of your room to power up the speakers.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:53   #11
BHPian

See, even after interchanging the output channel the specific speaker still has this problem.
Old 4th March 2010, 18:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

I presume you mean you swapped the L and R speakers, and the faulty speaker still gives distortion in the new position also. Or does it mean that the speaker that was working OK now distorts in the new position?

If it is the first, you need to open the speaker and check if the surround and spider are OK. If not, you need to do some jugaad and replace the driver.

If it is the second, either the connector in the sub box or the corresponding amp channel are faulty.
Old 4th March 2010, 19:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
you swapped the L and R speakers, and the faulty speaker still gives distortion in the new position also.
This is exactly the case.

Quote:
If it is the first, you need to open the speaker and check if the surround and spider are OK. If not, you need to do some jugaad and replace the driver.
How do I check this?
Old 4th March 2010, 19:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

1. Visual inspection - is anything torn?
2. By feel and hearing: very gently press down on the cone with finger-tips (diametrically opposite so that there are no asymmetrical forces). If you feel or hear any scratching noise, the voice coil is touching the magnet

If either of the above is true, it is time to change the speaker.
Old 4th March 2010, 19:41   #15
BHPian

Open the front cover and see if anything touches the cone as it moves. Check with a torch if the cone has a tear in the material. How exactly does the distortion sound, is high freq 'chrrrrr-chrrrrrr' or like a mid freq flutter 'burrrrr-burrrr'? Is it continuous (cable/contact fault) or intermittent (fouling object/cone gone bad)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks