Team-BHP - What Broadband service has good upload speed?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   What Broadband service has good upload speed? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/78945-what-broadband-service-has-good-upload-speed.html)

As some of you have already know, I have partially shifted to Bangalore to enable treatment for my second son who is suffering from autism. For the next year or two, I have to keep travelling between Bangalore and Manipal. While I am in Bangalore, I hope to keep in touch with my office and other offices via video conferencing.

For this purpose I need a good broadband connection in Bangalore that not only has good download speed, but also has decent upload speed. Until today I didn't think it was a big deal. I am an Airtel customer since 2005 and have been having decent upload/download speed in Manipal. Even on my 512kbps home connection, I get 300kbps upload speed.

After having shifting to a newly rented apartment, I had a talk with the visiting Airtel executive. What he told me was shocking. He told me that even a 4Mbps plan has only 100kbps upload. There was simply no plan that can give a higher upload speed. When I asked him to give me something that will work for my need, he refered me to his team leader. After half hour of checking, he too got back saying they can't offer me anything outside of their plans. He said all their routers are confgured to the plans and nothing else can be done. I know that routers can easily configured for exceptions, but I guess their sales policy doesn't allow that.

In other words I am in deep trouble. I need an Internet connection in practically the center of Bangalore, in an apartment complex, with an ability to upload 1Mbps and download 2Mbps with at least 2 static IP addresses. That is the minimum criteria.

What are my options? Are there any wimax/wifi services that provide similar service?

Try India Broadband Forum, they should be able to help you out.

Check out Infinity 1Mbps SYMMETRIC plan from Tata Indicom where both upload/download speed are 1Mbps. This is unlimited @2950/- per month. 1 static ip free. This is wireline broadband.

http://www.tataindicombroadband.in

Samurai,

You should take a look at the reliance plans.
Reliance Netconnect

Btw did you try the turbo 1699 plan under airtel?

buddy upload speed depends on the plan you are taking, most of the people would go to higher download speeds, you can try airtel broadband, I am using same in new delhi and ask for higher upload speed.

Sharath.

I suggest you go for wireless data cards.

1. EVDO Data cards from Reliance or Tata (3.1MBPS peak speed) with suitable data plan

2. BSNL 3G Jadoo service, As i heard they will be rolling the data cards in 2 varients (DL 3.6MBPS/ UL 2MBPS and 7.2 MBPS / 5.76 MBPS)

wireless will enable you to improve your mobility.

You can also buy a N97 mini (or any other 3G full feature/smart phone) and use the data card funcationality with a BSNL connection, it will act as your modem.

Guess Samurai is looking for getting connected to his workplace via remote desktop / vnc / vpn and hence needs stable speeds as well as high upload speeds. For such kind of requirements wireline broadband is the best best since the speeds are consistent and stable for long periods of time.

Wireless broadband via 3g/evdo provided by reliance netconnect or tata indicom or bsnl etc are at best a fallback option..the speeds offered will vary drastically minute by minute as more users logon. Wireless, IMO, may not be able to provide static ip, which is a must for secure remote connections as firewalls may needs to be configured at workplace end.

The downside of wireline is cable cuts, which may take couple of days to repair. In such scnerious 2 separate ISPs can be opted for like Tata/Airtel as a contingency measure.

Airtel turbo 1699 offer 1 Mbps download and 512 kbps upload.
And now coz of some promotion, the download has been doubled to 2 Mbps at the payment of just Rs. 100 extra per month !!!!
Its a fantastic plan.

Hi Samurai,

The kind of requirement you have you either need a dedicated MPLS connectivity, or the next best thing would be a wired ( co-axial) cable internet. All the DSL/ADSL will not work for you , and don't even try the wireless ones.

I have been using you telecom for the last 3-4 years now, and they have been pretty consistent. I think they do have business plans also. Check out their website YOU Broadband & Cable India Limited: Leading High Speed Broadband Internet Service provider in India. Super Fast Connection.
They do go down once in a while, so for that you might want to have a back up, but their upload speeds are reasonable. I am using a 2 MBPS home plan ( MB as I am sure you know is Megabits and not bytes). As I am writing this at 8.51 PM, i tested the speed through speedtest.net and it shows me a download speed of 2.01 Mb/s and upload speed of 1.66 Mb/s

Hope this helps.

I use an Airtel plan which offers 2MBps night and 1MBps daytime speeds. I also use a lot of video conferencing with this setup and it is pretty good for that purpose. I dont think there is much difference between download and upload speeds. When I run torrent clients I have noticed that both hover around 2mbps in the night. I think this plan should fit you well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjayc (Post 1821627)
Check out Infinity 1Mbps SYMMETRIC plan from Tata Indicom where both upload/download speed are 1Mbps. This is unlimited @2950/- per month. 1 static ip free. This is wireline broadband.

:::::New day on the web :::::

This looks very promising, they have actually mentioned the upload speed for each plan, which is very professional. Besides, I am an existing Tata Indicom customer, I have a leased data E1 and voice E1 from them.

Tata Indicom Broadband 2.0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Bean (Post 1821642)
You should take a look at the reliance plans.
Reliance Netconnect
Btw did you try the turbo 1699 plan under airtel?

Reliance couldn't maintain their SLA even when I had their 1:1 leased line connection. I am very wary of them. Besides, their netconnect is similar to Tata Indicom Photon+ which I am using to post this. I very rarely get the promised speeds. In fact, photon+ gave me 90kbps/70kbps download/upload speed in the apartment. So much for the much hyped 3.1Mbps speed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick17s (Post 1821644)
buddy upload speed depends on the plan you are taking, most of the people would go to higher download speeds, you can try airtel broadband, I am using same in new delhi and ask for higher upload speed.

buddy, you should read the post before replying.:) I do know speed depends on the plan, and I did try airtel broadband, and I did ask for the higher upload speed. Yes, I followed your entire set of instructions even before you posted it. To know what happened after that, read the first post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarVegabond (Post 1821654)
I suggest you go for wireless data cards.

1. EVDO Data cards from Reliance or Tata (3.1MBPS peak speed) with suitable data plan

2. BSNL 3G Jadoo service, As i heard they will be rolling the data cards in 2 varients (DL 3.6MBPS/ UL 2MBPS and 7.2 MBPS / 5.76 MBPS)

I don't need mobility, besides I am using Photon+ right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjayc (Post 1821706)
Guess Samurai is looking for getting connected to his workplace via remote desktop / vnc / vpn and hence needs stable speeds as well as high upload speeds. For such kind of requirements wireline broadband is the best best since the speeds are consistent and stable for long periods of time.

Wireless broadband via 3g/evdo provided by reliance netconnect or tata indicom or bsnl etc are at best a fallback option..the speeds offered will vary drastically minute by minute as more users logon. Wireless, IMO, may not be able to provide static ip, which is a must for secure remote connections as firewalls may needs to be configured at workplace end.

The downside of wireline is cable cuts, which may take couple of days to repair. In such scnerious 2 separate ISPs can be opted for like Tata/Airtel as a contingency measure.

Exactly, I will connecting a Juniper SSG5 firewall to the modem/router. I need my setup to be in permanent VPN with multiple offices. I do have Photon+ as backup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikramk (Post 1821708)
Airtel turbo 1699 offer 1 Mbps download and 512 kbps upload.
And now coz of some promotion, the download has been doubled to 2 Mbps at the payment of just Rs. 100 extra per month !!!!
Its a fantastic plan.

Yes, my brother has similar plan which gives him 1.3mbps download and 400mbps upload, although his is a 1mbps plan. I have a feeling that Airtel sales folks really have no idea about the capabilities of their service. Only Airtel sales team claims they can't offer upload faster than 100kbps, while everybody else including myself have experienced higher upload speeds. But then I can't depend on that. I can't complain about service performance if the upload indeed drops to 100kbps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-drive (Post 1821783)
The kind of requirement you have you either need a dedicated MPLS connectivity, or the next best thing would be a wired ( co-axial) cable internet. All the DSL/ADSL will not work for you , and don't even try the wireless ones.

Since this move is due to personal reasons, the connectivity charges will come out of my salary, therefore I can't exceed 4-5K for this. That eliminates MPLS or anything high-end. Besides, it has to be something that can be installed in a rental apartment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-drive (Post 1821783)
I have been using you telecom for the last 3-4 years now, and they have been pretty consistent. I think they do have business plans also. Check out their website YOU Broadband & Cable India Limited: Leading High Speed Broadband Internet Service provider in India. Super Fast Connection.
They do go down once in a while, so for that you might want to have a back up, but their upload speeds are reasonable. I am using a 2 MBPS home plan ( MB as I am sure you know is Megabits and not bytes). As I am writing this at 8.51 PM, i tested the speed through speedtest.net and it shows me a download speed of 2.01 Mb/s and upload speed of 1.66 Mb/s

Hope this helps.

That is very interesting, however their coverage area doesn't list my locality. Still, I'll call them and check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasoo (Post 1821824)
I use an Airtel plan which offers 2MBps night and 1MBps daytime speeds. I also use a lot of video conferencing with this setup and it is pretty good for that purpose. I dont think there is much difference between download and upload speeds. When I run torrent clients I have noticed that both hover around 2mbps in the night. I think this plan should fit you well.

Can you kindly check your upload/download and latency speed using Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test Will appreciate it.

Below is a snapshot of the speeds on a airtel 1mbps connection..Around 250kbps(bits) of upload speed.. You may need to take business plans which may prove to be expensive to gain that speed.

Check if Airtel business connections are available in that apartment complex.

I get 1 mbps upload and download speeds. Prior to this, I was on end user connection and upload was ~200 kbps.

Couple of tests:

I asked them, but they said they can't give business connection to residence. That is strange because I used to have Airtel business connection at my Manipal house for many years.

That is strange.. since even my connection is at my residence for personal use.

I guess their infra in that particular location is near capacity and they don't want to give business connections.

Other option in Bangalore is internet from Indian Railways. Have not used it myself but heard that they also provide same upload speed as advertised download speed.