Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 18:22   #1
BHPian

Smartphone charger for motorcycles

Found a site which sells cell phone charger for motorcyclesCycleChargeAll.com
Has anybody used similar devices?
Old 6th May 2010, 11:34   #2
BHPian

I have 2 cigarette lighter sockets connected to my bike: one near the air filter hidden behind the toolbox panel and the second attached to the speedometer/tachometer console of the bike.

Mainly used to power the GPS when on the move (using a MOtorola USB-lighter socket adaptor), it also serves to charge the cellphones, powers the air-compressor and also a small electric kettle for coffee or instant noodles!

Cost: 125 bucks for each cigarette lighter socket and 750 bucks for the Motorola adaptor! There are cheaper multi-phone adaptors avail for 120 bucks, but these usually become loose after some time.

Last edited by COUGAR : 6th May 2010 at 11:35.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually MX makes some pretty decent cigarette lighter adaptors for about 100 rupees.
Old 8th June 2020, 11:59   #4
BHPian

Mobile Charger for motorbikes

Hi,
I'm looking for a mobile charger for my bike (RTR 200 4v) and have reduced my choices to one brand - Resonate. I find they have multiple models of ChargePlus which varies drastically in price but has no good way for comparison whatsoever (which is kinda bad marketing for me). Could someone who owns/knows about ChargePlus please educate me on the differences?

Reasons for choosing ChargePlus:
1. Not bulky/boxy
2. The nice stealthy tubular shape that can fit in a hidden corner preventing vandalism
3. Its IP rating.

If someone could suggest me of another not so bulky but quality charger (not looking for Chinese products that have 0 battery protection circuit/placebo protection) that would be great too

Finally, for the installation, I have 2 ways in mind:
1. Connecting directly to the battery:
Connect the charger with an inline toggle switch followed by a fuse towards the positive terminal of the battery. This helps in turning off the charger while not in use so no passer-by could just connect a cable and use it.

Disadvantages:
1. Every time, I have to use the charger, I'll have to remove the pillion seat and turn on the switch which isnt really versatile.
2. Everytime the bike is due for service, I will have to remove the terminals from battery and safely pull out the contraption with switch and fuse out of the chassis.

2. Fuse tapping:
Other option is to tap on a non-critical fuse (like that of abs, ecu (exists?) etc) and connecting the positive lead of the charger to the fuse tapper. This is much better than playing with the wiring harness to tap into the ignition switch thereby keeping the warranty. Naturally, I have a plug and play ignition controlled charger with 0 wiring mods.

Disadvantages/Questions:
1. There is seemingly no visible space in the fuse box to route the wire into it. The fuse box cover seems a very snug fit. Removing the fuse box would mean its prone to short circuit on a rainy day right? Given the box is just right under the pillion seat.
2. Which fuse would be ideal for this purpose and would I need to put in a bigger fuse since the charger can draw upwards of 2amps easily? (although this isnt a direct value since the charger converts 12v down to 5v. That would mean the charger might not actually draw 2+ amps from battery)

Any help would be appreciated. I'm targetting for a no cut/tapping of wiring harness solution and also easy removal during service time.

Mods: I did find a similar thread here and requested the mods to move it to motorcycle section but that has been turned down for some reason. Hence the new thread.
vijai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks