I have a pretty basic HT setup, which I got in 1999 and intend to keep using till it stops working !
Sony STRDE335 (5*100w rms) - Dolby ProLogic, 5.1 ready
Sony SA-VE150 Subwoofer/Satellites (5.1)
Onida DVD player
Will add a 29" Flat TV soon
The requirement is for a couple of floorstanders to replace my front speakers, to enhance my music-listening-experience at my new place which should be ready early next year:
Some factors guiding the purchase
1. I'm not keen on building a high end system, since I don't think my ears are capable of justifying the price difference .. Budget MAX 20K
2. Listen to music a lot more than I watch movies
3. Listen to plain and simple rock (Floyd, Straits, Tull, Sting, S&G, Led Zep would be the heaviest!) and a bit of western classical , a bit of country etc.
4. HT room dimensions will be 23ft long x 10ft wide x 9.5ft high. Listening position will be around 10 ft from the speakers (half way of the 23ft length)
5. My AV receiver may not be as good a dedicated stereo amp would be, for listening to plain audio, but I can live with that. So no plans to go for an amp.
6. I like soothing bass and high freq clarity at low volumes.
The ones I came across were a couple of Jamo's and Sonodyne's.
Any suggestions on what I else can get at that price ? Sam, how much do the JBL's cost ?
Thanks @grkishn .. but getting stuff from Bangalore may not be feasible for me.
How does Wharfdale compare with Jamo's ?
I've heard Jamo E430 (i think thats the no) .. hooked up to a Yamaha receiver .. liked them. They cost around 16K.
Then there's probably another model E470 or something at around 19K for a pair.
Another basic Q ..
Which factors should influence the choice between bookshelfs and floorstanders ? Availabilty of space probably is one. But from the sound perspective ?