Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 16:04   #1
Team-BHP Support

Copying large number of folders from windows XP to windows 7 laptop

I have to transfer large amount of data(contained in numerous folders) from one Windows XP laptop to a windows 7 laptop, both on the same wireless network.
I am aware of shared folders concept but here the number of folders is huge.
One way is to use an external disk, copy to disk, and then copy from disk to the Windows 7 Laptop.

But this seems inefficient. Is there a free ftp server or something which I can run on Windows 7 machine, and then use WinSCP or something like that to transfer the data.
I can either connect both laptops to each other via an ethernet cable, or use 2 ports on the router(which has 4 ethernet ports).
The latter I think will be easier.
One laptop will get 192.168.0.2, other will get 192.168.0.3 and then I can simply transfer the data.
Only problem is what kind of free FTP server I can be running on the windows 7 machine so that I can use windows SCP to transfer data quickly.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:13   #2
BHPian

Administrative share should be the simplest solution in your case. You will be able to access the root of every partition of the source (XP) system form the destination (Win7) system. Use a copy manager like teracopy for actual copying.

Last edited by bullinb : 17th May 2010 at 16:16.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I can either connect both laptops to each other via an ethernet cable, or use 2 ports on the router(which has 4 ethernet ports).
One laptop will get 192.168.0.2, other will get 192.168.0.3 and then I can simply transfer the data.
This is your best bet. But you will not need a router. Just use a normal network cable and connect both laptops and give them the IP addresses that you have decided and keep them on the same workgroup. If your laptops are equipped with gigabit network adaptors then the transfer should happen relatively quickly.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thanks, but any more details? I am a total n00b when it comes to windows networking. So some detailed steps how to practically use it would be great. for example, on the windows 7 laptop there is no password set. Basically the account gets logged in on its own. How do I find whats the username etc., etc.,
Old 17th May 2010, 16:23   #5
Team-BHP Support

If they are both on the same network..

Goto system properties, Under Computer name get the full computer name.
Now in windows explorer address bar right

\\<computer name>\<drive letter>$

example

\\bblost\c$

You will get full access to the C drive. If you are logged in as the same user on the other computer.

@bullinb: Thanks, I did not know the same for this, though I have done it quite a few times.

Last edited by bblost : 17th May 2010 at 16:25.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:26   #6
BHPian

From Win7 laptop map \\<win xp machine>\c$ to say Z:, select "connect using different credentials". Use credentials of an account on XP machine with admin rights to connect. Replace c in 'c$' with other drives letters to access them.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Windows 7 supports both IPV4 and IPV6 addressing, while XP supports only IPV4. Hence while assigning the address to the n/w device on the 7, leave the IPV6 blank.

Goto Control panel --> User Accounts to find your user name, assign a password, etc.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:28   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
From Win7 laptop map \\<win xp machine>\c$ to say Z:, select "connect using different credentials". Use credentials of an account on XP machine with admin rights to connect. Replace c in 'c$' with other drives letters to access them.
That option is available under
My Computer -> Tools.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:33   #9
BHPian

Try FileZilla - The free FTP solution

It has both Client and Server builds. I use it to periodically backup large number of files (~1.5 TB)
Old 18th May 2010, 14:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have to transfer large amount of data(contained in numerous folders) from one Windows XP laptop to a windows 7 laptop, both on the same wireless network.
I am aware of shared folders concept but here the number of folders is huge.
One way is to use an external disk, copy to disk, and then copy from disk to the Windows 7 Laptop.

But this seems inefficient. Is there a free ftp server or something which I can run on Windows 7 machine, and then use WinSCP or something like that to transfer the data.
Only problem is what kind of free FTP server I can be running on the windows 7 machine so that I can use windows SCP to transfer data quickly.
I would suggest create a zip file of the entire source folder first and then do a single transfer across the network to the other laptop. You will save several hours just by doing this.
You can use any method (such as file sharing or external USB drive or WinSCP/ FileZilla etc) after that.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

@TSK - I hope you would've copied the files by now, if not, below is the best bet. I've copied upto 4GB easily through this method & it was faster than copying the data to iPod & transferring from iPod to laptop.

Quote:
Old 18th May 2010, 15:40   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Tan - ensure firewall is disabled on both laptops before you attempt direct data transfer with a network cable.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:48   #13
Team-BHP Support

Remember, when you connect both the laptops over ethernet, you need to use a cross connect cable. The normal ethernet cable used to connect to your router / modem will not work.
  • Assign IP address to Laptop # 1 as 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
  • Assign IP address to Laptop # 2 as 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0
  • Leave the gateway and DNS blank.
  • Disable firewall on both the laptops.
  • From source to destination or vice versa, go to Start --> Run --> type "\\<Ip of destination>\C$ (drive letter followed by $)
  • Most likely based on your security settings you will get a login prompt for the destination computer. Use an administrative login.
  • Use a software like Redirecting to codesector.com... to ensure that any single file copy failure doesn't abort the entire process of copying from source to destination.
You could try to use Windows Files and Settings transfer wizard but that could be troublesome too.

Quote:
for example, on the windows 7 laptop there is no password set. Basically the account gets logged in on its own. How do I find whats the username etc., etc.,
Control Panel --> User management is where it would be. Right click on "My computer" and click on "Manage". (This is for XP though). Should be similar in Windows 7.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th May 2010 at 15:51.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice one Moral

Would suggest zipping and transferring; else it gonna take time.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Zipping that much data will take more time than the time taken to transfer it uncompressed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks