Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 11:22   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Asterisk IP PBX

Assuming 1 Asterisk server running on the internet, with 1000 users (all of them at different locations, using different ISPs), a maximum of 150 concurrent calls, only voice, no video at all, what kind of hardware would be required to running the Asterisk Server. I am thinking of something like a QuadCore CPU with 4 GB Ram. Probably RAID is also neccessary, not sure - maybe RAID5. Is this too less or too much? - any idea?

Also bandwidth requirements for the Asterisk Server -> what kind of bandwidth requirement would be there - what kind of connection should I have to host the Asterisk server?
Old 21st May 2010, 21:34   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Assuming 1 Asterisk server running on the internet, with 1000 users (all of them at different locations, using different ISPs), a maximum of 150 concurrent calls, only voice, no video at all, what kind of hardware would be required to running the Asterisk Server. I am thinking of something like a QuadCore CPU with 4 GB Ram. Probably RAID is also neccessary, not sure - maybe RAID5. Is this too less or too much? - any idea?

Also bandwidth requirements for the Asterisk Server -> what kind of bandwidth requirement would be there - what kind of connection should I have to host the Asterisk server?

What is the codec that you are planning to use ? If it is G.729 then a quad core processor will not be sufficient . what would be the purpose of the setup ? Hard disk is not so important if you are not going to record all of the calls .

A better setup would be a xeon quad core with 1666 fsb *2 processors /8gb if you plan to use the g.729 codec .
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

I moved this out to a new thread since the question is unrelated to E1.

First of all Asterisk is not very scalable or flexible. You are better off using FreeSwitch. Same functionality, but better reliability and scalability.

BTW, you already know that putting this on Internet is India is illegal.

If you run more than 200 simultaneous calls in Asterisk in processor, it will start coming unhinged. Calls start dropping, voice quality suffers, etc.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:29   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, you already know that putting this on Internet is India is illegal.
First, this is more of a study than an actual project. Even in the study, no termination is going done to PSTN in India. Termination will only happen abroad. So it will be
- IP in India to IP outside India
- IP in India to IP in India
- IP in India to regular phones outside in India.
The Asterisk server will connect to an asterisk server outside India which will do the termination.

Thanks for creating a new thread :-)
I always get a little scared to create new threads. I am never sure if the topic warrants a new thread or should I try to shoehorn it into an existing thread.
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:00   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
First, this is more of a study than an actual project. Even in the study, no termination is going done to PSTN in India. Termination will only happen abroad. So it will be
- IP in India to IP outside India
- IP in India to IP in India
- IP in India to regular phones outside in India.
The Asterisk server will connect to an asterisk server outside India which will do the termination.

Thanks for creating a new thread :-)
I always get a little scared to create new threads. I am never sure if the topic warrants a new thread or should I try to shoehorn it into an existing thread.
How do u plan to get the bandwith ? You will have to go in for a leased line and unless specified you will not get the 5060 port opened . for getting the port opened you must have a DOT license , . and if u do try to get a leased line with the port opened the enforcement will sniff you out within a few weeks .
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:09   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
How do u plan to get the bandwith ? You will have to go in for a leased line and unless specified you will not get the 5060 port opened . for getting the port opened you must have a DOT license , . and if u do try to get a leased line with the port opened the enforcement will sniff you out within a few weeks .
Getting the DOT license is also being investigated. It looks like DOT only gives the license to ISPs. So alternatives are
- get an ISP license first
- wait for norms to be relaxed. Recommedations to relax the norms have already been given a couple of years back by TRAI, I think.
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:16   #7
Team-BHP Support

DOT license is not necessary. You can give an letter of undertaking specifying the exact VOIP usage, they will open it if your usage is acceptable. However, your usage might not pass the test.
Old 22nd May 2010, 19:01   #8
BANNED

AFAIK, if no part of the VOIP network is connected to PSTN, it is legal in India, even if this is over a wan.

So, keep the networks physically separate; and do not be a smart alec; do not bring in wireless technology for interconnection!!!
Old 22nd May 2010, 19:22   #9
BANNED

Apologies for the 2nd post, but my edit time expired.

My post is based on information available here:-

[ilugd] Where can I buy a Linksys SPA3102 VoIP Adapter?

Please see the replies to that mail. You will need to add up quite a bit of information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks